• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181(?) (You haven't seen this before!)

55 posts in this topic

Well, I'm guessing there's at least one poster that has?? The recent talk of variant/overseas versions and the usual plethora of Hulk 181 threads inspired me to dig this book out of the attic for your enjoyment...

hulk181var.jpg

not sure if I saw that one... what are the details? no price (except the "penned "6P")? It is also a reprint being from 1976 and with an entirely new cover design. I'd still grab one though... pretty cool.

Hmmmm... a buch of differences as well ...??

(this is like on of those "what's different" picture puzzles)

• Hulks face is way different ? (similar to the Lasermat)

• Wolverines eyes have been modified ... they look Asian now.

• Wendigos left arm has been augmented and his location has changed in proximity to Wolverine

• Background detail and color is different

• More art created to the right (or more showing that was cropped)

• Some chains have changed location

264469-Hulk181CGC9.6owwsm.jpg

264469-Hulk181CGC9.6owwsm.jpg.02dc90c9be3a97d0313988a5d7c404a1.jpg

No doubt that the cover on the reprint is the original Herb Trimpe cover to Incredible Hulk 181. Many untouched original and alternate Marvel covers made it on to foreign reprint editions.

It was common practice for Marvel to revise covers on the fly. My guess is that differences you see on the printed version were made by John Romita, Marvel's art director at the time, who was often called in to make subtle changes to cover artwork.

The Hulk's face on the final version is definitely not by Herb Trimpe... although the Wendigo's definitely is. Wolverine's face is mostly Trimpe.

Kev

No doubt that the cover on the reprint is the original Herb Trimpe cover to Incredible Hulk 181. Many untouched original and alternate Marvel covers made it on to foreign reprint editions.

I agree, and the foreign cover looks far more natural, while the Hulk 181 image is obviously squished together. Just look at the chains near the spine, they've definitely been changed to accomodate the cover dimensions and text.

It was common practice for Marvel to revise covers on the fly. My guess is that differences you see on the printed version were made by John Romita, Marvel's art director at the time, who was often called in to make subtle changes to cover artwork.

The Hulk's face on the final version is definitely not by Herb Trimpe... although the Wendigo's definitely is. Wolverine's face is mostly Trimpe.

Kev

Good info Kev... thanks... that Hulk face does not look Trimpe-esque. I didn't realize someone else (a different artist) would make alterations to another artist's original work. I would think he would be given feedback and opportunity to revise it himself... odd. Particularly the redrawn face... that's like saying.. "Herb, that face sucked, had to pull it. I redrew it, had to... sorry". That could be grounds for a nice argument. I wouldn't like it if someone messed with my art. Ask me to "try again" OK... but change it... ouch! I don't know the circumstances though, maybe he did get a chance and said.. "you do it John, I'm getting some sushi"

Now I know why the 181 Lasermat had that trimpe-face... they were trying to get as close to the original art as possible.

I'm glad they did fine tune it though... it's better IMO.

I didn't realize someone else (a different artist) would make alterations to another artist's original work.
Hey, hey redrew Jack Kirby's renditions of Superman's face all the time I believe so it's not unheard of. insane.gif

...the outermost "claw" on Wolverine's left hand has been shortened on the US final version too.

Wolverine has just been repositioned on top of Hulk.

Look at how much of Hulk's right shoulder is showing.

You can also tell by Hulk's chest muscle is showing more under Wolverine's fist.

Okay, here's the scoop - I lived in England for half a year back in 1981, and this is an English reprint of Hulk 181 from 1976. When I lived there I couldn't find US comics, so I picked up these used reprints at a second hand bookstore. I also have various/sundry other Bronze Age "reprints" with slight variations of the traditional US covers, including Marvel Feature 1. LMK if anyone wants to see any of the others! thumbsup2.gif

Oh yeah...I did a little photoshop action on the pence price to keep up the drama! devil.gif

Kev

Good info Kev... thanks... that Hulk face does not look Trimpe-esque. I didn't realize someone else (a different artist) would make alterations to another artist's original work. I would think he would be given feedback and opportunity to revise it himself... odd. Particularly the redrawn face... that's like saying.. "Herb, that face sucked, had to pull it. I redrew it, had to... sorry". That could be grounds for a nice argument. I wouldn't like it if someone messed with my art. Ask me to "try again" OK... but change it... ouch! I don't know the circumstances though, maybe he did get a chance and said.. "you do it John, I'm getting some sushi"

Now I know why the 181 Lasermat had that trimpe-face... they were trying to get as close to the original art as possible.

I'm glad they did fine tune it though... it's better IMO.

Time constraints in those days were quite severe. Almost every Marvel title had a reprint issue because of a blown deadline in this era.To package the page,ship it to the artist,and expect to have it back on deadline is pushing it. plus, the artist,already having turned in that months pages was working on new ones and might not like being interrupted to redo a job he already had been paid for. This was long before the artist go his work back so there was no thought to the value of an original page/cover.

It was much easier for Mr. B or Mr. R to do retouches.

I am wondering if the writers and artist recieved any pay for these foriegn editions.