• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 181(?) (You haven't seen this before!)

55 posts in this topic

You would be surprised who would NOT be immune to editorial tinkering of their covers.

Most of Kirby's 70's ones were retouched by John Romita.

Adams didn't do many covers, but I think there may be a Conan cover he did that was adjusted by Marvel editorial and the art department (#37). That was about it for Neal - I think they left his Savage Sword covers as is.

Steranko was a golden boy, and was pretty much left as is. Granted, his output was pretty slim.

And Romita would just redraw his covers on the spot if the needed a change. A lot of ASM covers are actually a mix of Kane and Romita.

Kev

How about this one (again with a new cover)?:

f7cfb575d0Z84PhEzmELllWZSakD7K3WOYp.jpg

Featuring the first appearance of...LE GLOUTON!!! Well, rare doesn't always mean valuable...

I've had the following comic in my collection for almost 8 years now.

It's a Quebec french language reprint edition of Hulk 181...I picked it up in a ased book store for 50 cents I think.

Interior pages:

f7cfb65c48avlXo9jf4g2SGO5Nwb5vjNpvw.jpg

f7cfb63150clHyBhXpIJRnwRMmJICnk6so4.jpg

Cool... Does "Le Glouton" actually translate to "Wolverine" or something like "blade" "Sharp Claws", etc.?

I may be wrong on a Quebecois slang for the word, but I believe it's glutton in English.

It's got to be some sort of slang, as in The Glutton can take a pummeling and keep on coming. ie. a glutton for punishment.

Featuring the first appearance of...LE GLOUTON!!!

That's hilarious!! 27_laughing.gif

I have a reprint of the first appearance of Wolverine in French (from France, not Quebec), featuring the first appearance of...SERVAL!!!

In the preface, it explains that "Serval" is actually not the exact translation of "Wolverine" in French - that would be "Glouton". Yes, "wolverine" = "glouton". Glouton is also used to describe a glutton, but it actually does mean wolverine in the noun form.

- Professeur Gene

Featuring the first appearance of...LE GLOUTON!!!

That's hilarious!! 27_laughing.gif

I have a reprint of the first appearance of Wolverine in French (from France, not Quebec), featuring the first appearance of...SERVAL!!!

In the preface, it explains that "Serval" is actually not the exact translation of "Wolverine" in French - that would be "Glouton". Yes, "wolverine" = "glouton". Glouton is also used to describe a glutton, but it actually does mean wolverine in the noun form.

- Professeur Gene

27_laughing.gif that is funny

What exactly does "Serval" translate too... Badger?