• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tracking down artwork

18 posts in this topic

I love looking through the CAF galleries. Even if I'm not looking to buy anything.

I don't think there are a lot of bargains to be had there, though; the OA collectors seem to know their prices. Still, I picked up a nice double-page splash from one CAF'er.

I've been sending a bunch of emails lately about NFS art with no response. Personally I always respond back even if i'm not selling, but not the case with all.

I bought a beautiful NSF piece from Solar tho. Brett is super easy to deal with and a nice guy to talk to in person, very knowledgeable about art.

The one set of hard rules I have been told is:

1. If you extend an offer on a page and it is accepted, follow through. Not doing so will earn you a bad rep since it is a small collecting group.

2. If you are on time payments don't miss any and try to pay it off ahead of schedule. Being dependable goes a long way.

3. Avoid over extending yourself. Nothing bites more than having to sell something to pay the day to day bills.

I scan through other people's galleries all the time and see plenty stuff that I want lol

But I've never made an offer, mainly because when you do you just surrender yourself to the seller..meaning that the owner knows you really want this piece of art and he can ask you top dollar² for it and basically you have almost no wriggle room.

Then again, maybe if you come across your grail of grails, you throw sense and market value completely out of the window hm

I've had good luck buying from CAFers. I even managed to get a couple of NFS pieces at decent prices. It doesn't hurt to ask, just be courteous.

I've bought quite a few pieces from CAFers. And the ones I've had great transactions with are on my CAF and eBay watched lists. It's nice to know ahead of going into a deal that it's gonna be smooth. And I sorta disagree with chromium that by making an offer/sale request puts you at the hand of the seller. I bought one page from a CAFer at a very fair price. A few months later he needed to come up with some cash for a major art purchase and, knowing I am a fan of Olliffe, offered me two other pages at a big discount. Plus, being such a small community, other CAFers have pointed me in the direction of some art I was hunting. I love CAF as far as finding art as well as the community itself.

Brian

My overall experience with CAF has been great. Most of the individuals I have contacted with 'NFS' on their pieces, have at least responded. It rarely has been the straight 'no,' but more along the lines of 'if I ever do, I'll let you know.' I just picked up a nice cover from a guy who needed funds for another art purchase, and worked with me on the price. Months prior, he said the cover would never be on the market, but that changed...part of my success was due to friendly exchanges about art, what we have seen, trying to help each other out...based on our interests.

My advice is if you like certain pieces, and the owner of the gallery has not listed or described it as a grail piece, ask about the owner selling it or express an interest. The reason I say this is I was looking at a painting marked NFS and came back to it all the time. The same day I finally asked about it ever being available, it sold! The gent said, 'funny you should ask about it, i just sold it out of the blue' It was not a good feeling...

David.

I just killed about 2 hours surfing through the CAF galleries and found about 20 pages I would love to own. I am always amazed at the stuff people have in their collections. If I end up not snagging anything in the on-going CLINK auction I may start to ping a few people to see if I can pry something out of someones collection.

I just killed about 2 hours surfing through the CAF galleries and found about 20 pages I would love to own. I am always amazed at the stuff people have in their collections. If I end up not snagging anything in the on-going CLINK auction I may start to ping a few people to see if I can pry something out of someones collection.

There is some great stuff out there thats for sure but really you shouldn't be suprized. All that art had to end up somewhere. I'm glad there is a site like CAF so collectors can keep track of where these pages end up better.

I've shaken a few pieces loose from other collectors that have had NFS on their art. By the same token, some people have made offers or asked about some of my pieces that were not for sale. At the very least, I feel it opens a dialog. Some people are nice about it while others sound like they could care less.