• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay SCAM Alert

21 posts in this topic

Anyone else looking at the cgc 9.6 Silver Surfer set? Nice 1 and 2 in 9.6. Has all the earmarks of problems - a private auction with a 2 feedback seller! So I send him an email and he responds about 8 hours later. I asked why it was a private sale and if he could do escrow. He replied that he was offended that I would accuse him of being a scam, that escrow was NOT available as payment was due in 5 days and that he would not speak to me by phone! The great reason he gave for having a private sale was so no one would know the winner was buying those expensive books. The sale ends sometime tonight - so buyer be ware! Anyone feel particularly lucky or like taking a risk?

Here's another excuse he gave me:

[quote----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 9:34 PM

Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2192458898

> Hi profor81,

>

> Would you be kind enough to send me a front & back cover scan of the book

in question. May I enquire as to why you have opted for a private auction

instead of the standard where bidders can be seen?

>

> Much Appreciated,

>

> **************

] Hi *******: I sent, or tried to send scans earlier. Was I successful? If

not I will try again on Thursday. I use private auctions because some

people do not want certain others to know what they are bidding on or at how

much. Also, if a seller views an acquaintance bidding on someone else's

auction at a lower grade or price, then, the seller may try to get his

"buddy" to switch loyalty. Thank you for your question and good luck.

Fred

Obviously I never got the scans. What a total prat!!! makepoint.giftonofbricks.gif

Can you tell what item that feedback was about? I think that Surfer set sold for around $3900. I remember getting a message from Bronzebruce about it - he thought the guy was probably legit! I guess he still believes in the tooth fairy also. After what seems like thousands of ebay deals, I have learned to trust my gut. If something looks too good - it is. and these private auctions and private feedback are set up for nothing other than scams. I still can't believe people have not sued ebay into discontinuing such auctions as it seems to me ebay just aids and abets the scams as long as they get their fees!

Always a little shot of some sort when you arrive here... eh Rob? smirk.gif

Toothfairy... yeesh

I admit I thought he was legit due to the fact he agreed to meet a friend/representative in the same area for a direct swap when I asked. I would have asked Mike Shuley or Gman if things got to that point... if possible. That was in part what made me feel he was legit... but inexperienced. Those were newly graded books too.

He was also willing to accept Paypal by credit card and Fed Ex the next day. That way IF the tracking # did not exist or the books did not arrive the following day... there would be plenty of time for Paypal to reverse the payment since the funds could not be cleared to his bank account that quickly (3-4 days). Not to mention the chargeback option if that failed. I discussed with the seller that I was aware I could protect myself if needed since we did talk about the private auctions and buyer perception of them. His explanation was not overly convincing in that regard, but the risk seemed minimal.

I was wondering why the auction went so high. I thought it would go $2500-$3000.

I guess we'll see what's up... Maybe I am mistaken.

confused-smiley-013.gif

He was also willing to accept Paypal by credit card and Fed Ex the next day. That way IF the tracking # did not exist or the books did not arrive the following day... there would be plenty of time for Paypal to reverse the payment since the funds could not be cleared to his bank account that quickly (3-4 days).

They could always just dump the funds immediately to an extra paypal account (perhaps a buddies) and forego the transfer to a bank account. confused-smiley-013.gif

He was also willing to accept Paypal by credit card and Fed Ex the next day. That way IF the tracking # did not exist or the books did not arrive the following day... there would be plenty of time for Paypal to reverse the payment since the funds could not be cleared to his bank account that quickly (3-4 days).

They could always just dump the funds immediately to an extra paypal account (perhaps a buddies) and forego the transfer to a bank account. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmmm... that could be problematic... for Paypal. Good thought though. I have to wonder... if you put in a fraud claim against a seller and (your) payment has been moved to another account... can PP can go after it (if they consider it stolen funds/ funds in dispute)? It would still be in the system so to speak...not withdrawn. More importantly... it would be their loss if they could not retrieve it and a chargeback was issued.

Dagnabbit Bug, now I have to call them again with more questions. Way to think outside the box.

The chargeback would still work though.

I should now be considered an almost neophyte in the bidding of SA and above CGC books but man??? I am pretty experienced in ebay and by gum - I would never bid on such an auction. I just don;t get it! (well, I kind of DO but just do not want to admit we, as humans, have begun to revert to DC Gorillas!) grin.gif

Anyone else looking at the cgc 9.6 Silver Surfer set? Nice 1 and 2 in 9.6. Has all the earmarks of problems - a private auction with a 2 feedback seller! So I send him an email and he responds about 8 hours later. I asked why it was a private sale and if he could do escrow. He replied that he was offended that I would accuse him of being a scam, that escrow was NOT available as payment was due in 5 days and that he would not speak to me by phone! The great reason he gave for having a private sale was so no one would know the winner was buying those expensive books. The sale ends sometime tonight - so buyer be ware! Anyone feel particularly lucky or like taking a risk?

Wait!. Im not a surfer fan but is this not a high price for just two books??

893whatthe.gifsumo.gifGreggy sumo.gif

I should now be considered an almost neophyte in the bidding of SA and above CGC books but man??? I am pretty experienced in ebay and by gum - I would never bid on such an auction. I just don;t get it! (well, I kind of DO but just do not want to admit we, as humans, have begun to revert to DC Gorillas!) grin.gif

Totally agree with this sentiment. There are so many warning signs here! Shoot, just the lack of significant feedback would be enough for me... (not that sufficient feedback alone would be enough to prompt me to bid)...

Hey speedjunkies AKA we_wear_short_shorts stop creating fake Ebay accounts and messing up others auctions. You are the worst Ebayer out there you hypocrite!! That entire BS you quote on your info about your store how feedback is great to give people a chance to get a NEW start in ebay is a bunch of BS from you. You try to come off as some great comics genius and that you fight for the industry. Now all these people are going to see you for the fake you are! I have the proof, but choose not to post that information here. You are a fake and a hypocrite, and stop ruining other people’s auctions because you don’t agree with the way it was setup! news.gif

Hey speedjunkies AKA we_wear_short_shorts stop creating fake Ebay accounts and messing up others auctions. You are the worst Ebayer out there you hypocrite!! That entire BS you quote on your info about your store how feedback is great to give people a chance to get a NEW start in ebay is a bunch of BS from you. You try to come off as some great comics genius and that you fight for the industry. Now all these people are going to see you for the fake you are! I have the proof, but choose not to post that information here. You are a fake and a hypocrite, and stop ruining other people’s auctions because you don’t agree with the way it was setup! news.gif

popcorn.gif