• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allow Int'l Bidders + Paypal = More $$$?

International + Paypal = More $$$?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. International + Paypal = More $$$?

17 posts in this topic

I'm going to be listing some fairly inexpensive Bronze lots in the near future, so I'm not too worried about overt scams, but....

Do you think allowing International bidders via Paypal will pay off compared to the higher risk of postal loss/damage, versus the usual shipping to just USA and Canada?

depending on your paypal account, int'l money is charged 4% instead of 3% paypal fees. tonofbricks.gif

That's a good point.

So in your estimation, does the increased potential of Int'l bids make up for the added fees and the increased potential liability for shipping loss and damage?

Vince,

Dealing with intl customers is an added risk, but I would have to say that they are the ones that tend to pay extremely fast since they want to speed up the whole process. From a profit stand point, it doesn't help much IMO, but helping a fellow collector out is all that matters to me smile.gif

I have had no problems with foreign bidders so far. 3 of my top Cgc bidders last week were from the UK. Was able to send them the newfangled eBay consolidated invoices with revised int'l postage quotes. They all remitted via PayPal promptly & would pay extra for optional insurance. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm going to be listing some fairly inexpensive Bronze lots in the near future, so I'm not too worried about overt scams, but....

JC - if they are "fairly inexpensive" I don't think any int'l bidders will bid as then the lot won't be that cheap anymore (ie with shipping). . .

DAM

PayPal is going to get you more bids. No doubt. I actually prefer International buyers, and only had one semi-nightmarish situation that constituted less than 1% of total transactions. However, I would stipulate that all International bidders must contact you first before bidding. Two reasons for this; one to give them an quote based on location (postal address), and to lay it out for the bidder that you will not send the item unless they opt for XpressPost International shipping, which will include a tracking number (and insurance, should the buyer need it). The second reason, to insure your eligability under PayPal payment protection program.

I'm not sure if you know this, but CanadaPost eliminated Air Mail, and now only exclusively offers Regular (ground) and XpressPost service. By doing this, they have cut the cost of XpressPost service, nearly mirroring the cost of previous Air Mail service. The problem with sending an International bidder an item is that they won't have a confirmed address, and that doesn't protect you against a chargeback unless you have a tracking number.

Not allowing foreign bidders is LAZY, plain and simple.

It's also very annoying when I see something sell for less than I would have happily bid, even with the extra shipping.

I always allow foreign bidders. Some of my best sales have been to the US, and my best ever was to France. If I'd blocked those bids, I would have lost hundreds of pounds.

The problem with sending an International bidder an item is that they won't have a confirmed address, and that doesn't protect you against a chargeback unless you have a tracking number.

Confirmed addresses are possible.

I'm in the UK and have a confirmed address.

As with any e-bay bidder you need to look at each individual buyer to ensure that you are happy to take their completion risk.

The problem with sending an International bidder an item is that they won't have a confirmed address, and that doesn't protect you against a chargeback unless you have a tracking number.

Confirmed addresses are possible.

I'm in the UK and have a confirmed address.

As with any e-bay bidder you need to look at each individual buyer to ensure that you are happy to take their completion risk.

Very true but...

Outside Canada, the US, the UK and 2 other countries, paypal does play ball.. As long as you don't live in the selected 5 out of the 195 countries in the world, paypal will not confirm your address.

I use paypal almost daily, have been a verified seller for over 7 years, have various credit cards and a bank account on file with them and spend nearly $10.000 a year with them, but my address is still unconfirmed

When I contacted them about this in 2001 they told me they were "working on it"

I contacted them again in 2007 and they were "sorry, but we don't have an answer right now" Doesn't look like they ever will doh!

I've always sold to international bidders - I figure the extra 1% to paypal is worth it to open the item up to more bids - I also find that International bidders are more likely to hit the BIN - but that could just be coincidental.

I only take Paypal outside of the U.S./Canada as I've run into trouble with other forms of payment - like a $10 charge for accepting payment via a european bank transfer service (fastpay I think it was) that apparently has no charges in Europe, and a $25 charge from my bank to collect on a Hong Kong cashiers check in U.S. funds that wasn't an international check (even though the HK bank had an office in Los Angeles - they couldn't help me as the check had to physically be sent back to HK for clearance - stupidly I had already sent the book, and didn't feel like returning the check for an international one and risk being left with nothing).

I've had no problem with Canadian money orders.

I live in the UK and buy plenty from the US Ebay site, even with the current state of the economy and the pound dropping like a stone against the dollar.

There is just more choice from the US as long as sellers are prepared to ship abroad. There have been plenty of items that I have wanted to bid on, that went for less than I was prepared to pay, but couldn't because the seller wouldn't ship outside of the US.

I think that you will find that UK collectors will generally pay more because it's harder to get more of the older or higher graded comics in this country.

International has increased risk and PP fees as previously explained; personally I would cover yourself and enforce shipping options which protect both you and the buyer to help offset these risks/costs.

International requires a bit more work but I've had nothing but good experience...UK and Canada especially. It's definitely made a difference in the few auctions I have executed.

I've bought a lot from the States through eBay, and more recently these boards, and have not had one problem with any of the transactions. All of the sellers have been happy to ship international and it doesn't seem any more hassle than if you ship domestically.

I ship worldwide on my auctions and have made some great sales abroad - with records as well as comics - and it's never been a problem.

Expanding your market will give you more scope for sales. As long as items are sent via some trackable postage system you should be covered, as a seller, if anything goes wrong with the transaction.

That's in theory anyway!