• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 found in attic

1,415 posts in this topic

so anyone want to explain what a siamese centerfold is?

From the 3rd OSGG:

Siamese Pages: A bindery defect in which pages are "trimmed long" and are not separated at right-hand corner(s) or along right edge. See Joined Pages

Huh. That's weird. I don't understand how a centerfold could be "Siamese". A centerfold is already one sheet with a fold at the center (or "gutter"). How could it also be joined along the right-edge? This would be a tube of paper, with no way of being printed in the center.

Maybe this centerfold was still joined only at the corners, or at a top or bottom edge? Having trouble visualizing this. hm

Why I was asking after Brian said they might be trimmed.

so anyone want to explain what a siamese centerfold is?

From the 3rd OSGG:

Siamese Pages: A bindery defect in which pages are "trimmed long" and are not separated at right-hand corner(s) or along right edge. See Joined Pages

Huh. That's weird. I don't understand how a centerfold could be "Siamese". A centerfold is already one sheet with a fold at the center (or "gutter"). How could it also be joined along the right-edge? This would be a tube of paper, with no way of being printed in the center.

Maybe this centerfold was still joined only at the corners, or at a top or bottom edge? Having trouble visualizing this. hm

I was wondering if they meant the centerfold was attached to an adjacent wrap? (shrug)

What's strange to me is that a lot of the other books were trimmed, some severely, others not so much, but on top of all that, the guy knew exactly what trimming was and how it was done...

I can't be certain it's the same copy but I'm very concerned that some significant money changed hands and that Todd has been hoodwinked. Maybe the guy stopped shopping the other books with it.

As a Poster there said

As the Baby Boomers retire, age, and finally pass away, there could be a flood of these finds. Or it could be rare instances.

More like the Baby Boomers' parents. 'Tec 27 was published in 1939.

That appears to be a remarkable state of preservation for attic storage. I just cleaned out my attic a few weeks ago, and stuff that's been up there for less than 10 years was crappier looking than that book. Just sayin'...

I see it as boomers cleaning out their parents attics and finding stuff.

He should have it submited so the experts can determine if anything has been done to it. Not that this guy doesn't know what to look for but having more than one opinion when dealing with this kind of money makes sense. (shrug) I'm sure if CGC is too busy then I'm sure PGX would love to slab it. :insane:

He should have it submited so the experts can determine if anything has been done to it. Not that this guy doesn't know what to look for but having more than one opinion when dealing with this kind of money makes sense. (shrug) I'm sure if CGC is too busy then I'm sure PGX would love to slab it. :insane:

Yeah, put it in the grading forum :)

When my dad got transferred in the late-70's, we bought an old stone monster house outside Ottawa, and the previous owner was an old guy who kept a ton of crepe in the basement and storage rooms. He told us whatever he didn't take we could keep. So he took some very nice antique furniture and left.

My dad examined the rest of the "junk" and found some nice furniture, including a massive chair with a mirror on the back - tres creepy. There was a lot of old sheit, and I remember him telling me there were several boxes of old comics down there. Still being a young lad, I wasn't too interested (my dad already had some boxes of GA sitting around) but I remember there being several Timely Human Torch and Sub-Mariner covers at the top of the boxes. I looked through some, again, mostly Timely and some DC super-hero, and went back to my BA books.

Then one day we get a knock at the door - it's the guy's son with a big sob-story about his father dying and that he's here to pick up his belongings. Being upstanding citizens, we granted his request, though my dad kept a close eye on him. So he went to the basement, loaded up anything of value (including the comics), and took off. I can still remember at Timely Human Torch issue falling out of a box, and I picked it up. I think I later found out it was #22.

Now I don't regret not having those books, as GA doesn't mean jack to me and I don't need the money (not to mention I probably would have read them to pieces), but I do wonder what that guy eventually did with those comics. hm

Now reading that story, far more convinced it is the same seller shopping the same book. Told a story to Todd that wasn't true about the offer. Sounds like Todd got hoodwinked. Obviously todd did not see all the other trimmed books this guy has in his possession... or else he might have put two and two together.

Also, not slabbing this book is a mistake with this many questions surrounding this potential sale. I hope the big buyers out there are watching and taking caution!

I should check my dorm attack and see if there are any nice tec 27s up there. Who knows?

You know, I've been in my house now for about 15 months now and haven't checked the attic once. lol Maybe it's time to make the journey through that little square at the top of our spare bedroom's closet. :wishluck:

Who knows what'll be up there you know

Now I know something is up -- my post asking Todd to contact me was deleted when I said I believed the book was restored and that it has been shopped around...

This is very suspicious... I will obviously have to take other avenues to try and get the word out about the suspected trimming.

The problem is ALL the other books I suspect this guy has that were trimmed.

Did you try his number that was posted?

"For more information, contact Todd McDevitt at 724-758-2324."

Didn't get an answer immediately this morning... will try him again this afternoon when I get done with work... if someone speaks to him, just let him know that I'm trying to get ahold of him!

Now I know something is up -- my post asking Todd to contact me was deleted when I said I believed the book was restored and that it has been shopped around...

This is very suspicious... I will obviously have to take other avenues to try and get the word out about the suspected trimming.

do you really think this guy Todd is that much of a fool? sounds like he's been in the business for a while.

do you really think this guy Todd is that much of a fool? sounds like he's been in the business for a while.

Not directly answering your question, but there have been many art experts that have been fooled by forgeries that were properly presented and contextualized.

Maybe there's a reason (besides the siamese page problem) that he's not so anxious to have CGC grade it. hm