• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 found in attic

1,415 posts in this topic

And paratrooper brings up a good point that really hasn't been jumped on. Attics result in serious tan/brittle pages or deep brown "dust shadows". Basements often result in some sort of mositure damage, though not always and can be very nice storage conditions. Unless the attic was air conditioned for the majority or entire life of the book, it is doubtful it would survive in this shape. And the likelihood of the attic being airconditioned is slim to none. Most of the nicer issues like this and/or pedigrees had near perfect storage conditions in a dry basement or in a main room of the house (or in a museum as in the Curator Pedigree). Has there ever been a true attic find (and they exist) where the pages weren't tanning badly?

what point did I bring up? Didn't think I had any good ones.

And paratrooper brings up a good point that really hasn't been jumped on. Attics result in serious tan/brittle pages or deep brown "dust shadows". Basements often result in some sort of mositure damage, though not always and can be very nice storage conditions. Unless the attic was air conditioned for the majority or entire life of the book, it is doubtful it would survive in this shape. And the likelihood of the attic being airconditioned is slim to none. Most of the nicer issues like this and/or pedigrees had near perfect storage conditions in a dry basement or in a main room of the house (or in a museum as in the Curator Pedigree). Has there ever been a true attic find (and they exist) where the pages weren't tanning badly?

Well, there was this one point you made...kind of fuzzy in my memory now, but it had to do with strippers I think. (shrug)

And paratrooper brings up a good point that really hasn't been jumped on.

Well, there was this one point you made...kind of fuzzy in my memory now, but it had to do with strippers I think. (shrug)

:cloud9: strippers

I think that this whole story is going to continue to play out... though I really don't know what the end result is going to be. we'll see what happens...

I wonder if Todd has contacted Borock or the guys at CGC -- at least they could do the resto check even if they say they can't slab it -- think it would be worth it in this case.

He sure is milking all the coverage he can for this " find ". I really hope for his sake this thing turns out to be real because hes going to look pretty stupid if otherwise.

I dont understand with the questions at hand why he wouldnt even have CGC take a look at the book even if it isnt encapsulated. Is he scared of a smoking bomb ?

He sure is milking all the coverage he can for this " find ". I really hope for his sake this thing turns out to be real because hes going to look pretty stupid if otherwise.

I dont understand with the questions at hand why he wouldnt even have CGC take a look at the book even if it isnt encapsulated. Is he scared of a smoking bomb ?

Not trying to imply anything, but this is beginning to remind of those that claimed to find a cigar-box full of old currency worth a few hundred thousand, made the rounds of cnn, npr, etc.

Then it turned out that they stole the box from another job-site they were working on and were trying to cover that up. :screwy:

Hell i bet CGC would even forgo the fees in this instance with all the coverage it would get them. Imagine the headlines "comic dealer spends $400k on comic, experts find it's only worth $40k".

what about your pointy ears :devil:

For media, this story is a win-win situation.

People want to read about a high-dollar attic find, especially a pop culture related one.

In a month, the story will be forgotten should the this turn out badly and nobody outside of these boards would care.

Or, people will want to read the story anout the guy who got duped out of 90% of his money a month later...

Hell i bet CGC would even forgo the fees in this instance with all the coverage it would get them. Imagine the headlines "comic dealer spends $400k on comic, experts find it's only worth $40k".

I think CGC prefers stories where their encapsulation ADDS a boatload of value, not takes it away.

;)

I think CGC prefers stories where their encapsulation ADDS a boatload of value, not takes it away.

;)

That's one way of looking at it. Another is any publicity is good publicity.

Hi Gary, you obviously know Todd and his comic resume

Question:What is your take on why he has not at least talked with Brian about the possibility of shenanigans surrounding his transaction? What safeguards did he take to protect his investment?, Who looked at the book?

I am still trying to wrap my brain around this entire Tec #27 situation.. but unfortunately I dont have enough facts. And if they are none of my beeswax then I can respect that.

Would love to hear your thoughts about the issues Brian raised.

The ever lovin

Ze-

Kenny:

I know Todd loves publicity and he wants his stores to stand out in the marketplace. I believe he purchased this book for 3 reasons:

1. He truly love comics and it's one of a handful of ultimate keys

2. He expects to sell it at a profit

3. He knew the purchase would generate a huge amount of publicity

Hopefully at the end of the day he'll make a profit. Believe me, he's not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and he's not a huckster. That being said though, we all make mistakes...

--Gary

The top of the hour, 2 pm here in Vegas, news break on the radio just carried the story, Todd was speaking and said "It was nice to have, but at the end of the day he is a businessman and will sell it."

The story went on to declare that it is worth a quarter of a million.

No doubt Todd must have given them that figure.

Not trying to imply anything, but this is beginning to remind of those that claimed to find a cigar-box full of old currency worth a few hundred thousand, made the rounds of cnn, npr, etc.

Then it turned out that they stole the box from another job-site they were working on and were trying to cover that up. :screwy:

That is EXACTLY what I thought of when I started reading this thread!

It just seems shady. :cool: