• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mmmm...are these the same books?

107 posts in this topic

You guys are having a laugh at CGG, but if this sort of thing continues, they'll give the entire hobby a black eye. To the the veterans here, it may seem like good news for CGC, but not for the general buyer/investor of slabbed comics.

You guys are having a laugh at CGG, but if this sort of thing continues, they'll give the entire hobby a black eye. To the the veterans here, it may seem like good news for CGC, but not for the general buyer/investor of slabbed comics.

My post wasn't a 27_laughing.gif

It was a 893naughty-thumb.gif

And I agree. It will do nothing but hurt the hobby.

But what can I/we do about it?

And I agree. It will do nothing but hurt the hobby.

But what can I/we do about it?

Absolutely nothing, save not buying from, or submitting to, CGG.

Otherwise, it's just another phase of that "graded collectibles life-cycle" thing I keep talking about. gossip.gif

You guys are having a laugh at CGG, but if this sort of thing continues, they'll give the entire hobby a black eye.

No, not really Joe...out of thousands of comic books sold on ebay every day, how many CGG sell? How many different sellers? There are dubious scammers now, there have been in the past, and there will be in the future. CGC is looking pretty shweet these days in relation to these 2nd-tier outfits...and I suspect by this time next year CGG will be a blip on the radar - no need for the melodrama! confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC is looking pretty shweet these days in relation to these 2nd-tier outfits...and I suspect by this time next year CGG will be a blip on the radar - no need for the melodrama! confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure, but you're referring to informed buyers. I'm talking about what happened in sportscards and coins, where fraud and mis-represented slabs were traced back to the companies themselves and caused a lot of industry strife.

When the generalo public and media finger pointing starts, the bad press extends far beyond a single company.

hey Banner...those actually ARE printing defects found on many books:

ASM 121 (bought by tdxcomixncarz) link

Another ASM 121 from the first seller Link

Stan Lee file copy with same defects: Link

However...they still seem to same books frown.gif

ASM121 doesn't seem to be trimmed. I guess those folds on ASM 121 are pressed. I wonder how they cleaned this book so beautifully?

ASM 129 seems to be trimmed at least on top and right edges. (probably bottom edge as well, but it isn't visible in CGG-slab picture)

Both CGG and tdxcomixancardz are located in Oregon so that makes it possible to get these books graded so fast. (could someone verify this)

That's interesting...the stains aren't there on my copy. Can others check their copies and let us know if there's a blue stain in the "O" of "Group" at the top of the cover, and a black ink stain on the "IN" of "imaginary" in the bottom right word bubble.

Makes me wonder if some type of "fingerprinting" is possible for comics based on the very subtle printing, color, registration deviations from one book to the next??

Hey...I am a neutral! I just happened to check earlier because the boards were dead! stooges.gif

No problemo. Keep up the good work! thumbsup2.gif

Luckily the book purchase auction still had the pics. Otherwise, the books may have sold! 893whatthe.gif

Luckily the book purchase auction still had the pics. Otherwise, the books may have sold! 893whatthe.gif

Perhaps you've already missesd a few that sold to unsuspecting buyers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif but they normally sell cheaper books so I don't really care. confused-smiley-013.gif Plus...they used to always end auctions when it was no reserve if the price was too low! 893naughty-thumb.gif

No, not really Joe...out of thousands of comic books sold on ebay every day, how many CGG sell? How many different sellers?

My opinion on this topic have been voiced before; the only difference is the whisper of caution has quickly become a loud yell after reading this thread.

Ouch!

After further Photoshop investigation on the 129, I've determined it was trimmed on the face as well.

I think he would have trimmed the spine if it wouldn't fall apart.

foreheadslap.gif

Nice Work Greg...

If you saved a couple of buyers now (and more going forward) from "what this appears to be"... this post and the awareness it generates will be a huge service to your fellow comic collectors and an excellent defense to something that could harm the reputation of graded comics in general if it was allowed to go on.

The Avengers 4 "may" have been an honest mistake, but this situation is very suspect and requires serious answers. CGG has not answered quite a few hard questions dating back, but will have to address this one.

RJ is a big supporter of CGG. I would imagine he would like to hear about this and has a close enough relationship to call up and get some answers?

BTW...this negates at least 1,000 of your "graemlin only" posts.