• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mmmm...are these the same books?

107 posts in this topic

While checking out the CGG Amazing Spider-man 129 NM+ 9.6, I decided to check out the feedback and recent purchases by the seller, tdcomixncardz. I looked at a recent purchase of an Amazing Spider-man 121 ==> Spidey 121 purchase . I noticed that the cut was similar to their CGG 9.8 copy ==> CGG 9.8 Spidey 121 . Is this the same book with some "work" done to it? The tdcomixncardz scans don't show the bottom corner area to compare the damage. Hell, the BC scan for some reason...misses that corner! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This got me checking again so I checked the Spidey 129 purchase from the same seller ==> Spidey 129 purchase . I compared it to the CGG NM+ 9.6 copy that they are currently selling ==> CGG NM+ Spidey 129 . Sure, the top centering doesn't match exactly but we know how that can be adjusted potentially! confused-smiley-013.gif However, I compared the wear on the spine to the right of the right cheek of the skull on the Punisher's shirt and you can tell that there is wear on the CGG copy as well as the recently purchased copy. It is hard to tell if the similar wear to the right of the Punisher's holster is on the CGG copies. Also, the CGG scans does not show the bottom so they cannot be compared.

So...am I off my rocker or have I exposed another scam?

P.S. I have saved all the scans just in case! tongue.gif

frown.gif

flowerred.gif

Why can't we be friends?

Why can't we be friends?

Why can't we be friends?

Why can't we be friends?

I seen you 'round for a long long time

I really 'membered you when you drink my wine

hi.gif

I'm not sure you're entirely off your rocker, Greggy. There are similarities as you pointed out. I guess this would have to be an 11 day turn around, if it was a scam. Pretty quick, east coast to west coast, but I believe CGG is located in Oregon, as is the seller. I'm not saying just because it's a CGG or any other grading service other than CGC that it's an obvious fraud, missed restoration, etc... I would still pass and let others purchase the high dollar books and see what pattern of crossing over to cgc (grade and restoration check) emerges. Who knows, they could cross at CGC the same grade or potentially higher, in which case I'm missing out on great deals right now.

But the similarities do at least make me wonder... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Does anyone else's Spidey 121 have that blue stain in the "O" of the word "GROUP" in the Marvel Comics Group bar at the top like both of these copies have?? Mine doesn't!! 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Does anyone else's Spidey 121 have that black ink smear in the "IN" of the word "IMAGINARY" in the bottom right word balloon like both of these copies have?? Mine doesn't!! 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Does anyone else's Spidey 121 have that blue stain in the "O" of the word "GROUP" in the Marvel Comics Group bar at the top like both of these copies have?? Mine doesn't!! 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Does anyone else's Spidey 121 have that black ink smear in the "IN" of the word "IMAGINARY" in the bottom right word balloon like both of these copies have?? Mine doesn't!! 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Those are obviously the same books, and after a bit of cleaning and pressing, it's off to CGG for a 9.8 grade. It's really too bad that someone is likely to get taken bad on this comic.

Personally, I don't think they're the same. For one thing, I don't think the guy could have had books sent to him by one seller, then submitted them to CGG, then had them returned, all in less than 10 days. CGG takes about that long on its own, let alone waiting for the buyer/seller to even get the books from his first win (the 121 ended on Sept. 9). Look closer, and you'll see that the CGG 121 and 129 were graded on 9/3, a full week before he even bought the suspected books on Ebay.

Sacmmers can be clever, but I don't think they can have books cleaned, sent off, graded, and returned--all before they even buy them in the first place.

After overlaying both books in Photoshop, I can say that both examples above are indeed the same books.

The 129 has even been trimmed at the top, and possibly at the bottom.

Makes you wonder if the MJ inserts were stuck in afterwards as well.

This sucks that someone is going to get the royal screwing on these books.

It sucks that people do this kind of [!@#%^&^].

CGG needs to have their nuts kicked with a very quick and heavy shoe. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Personally, I don't think they're the same. For one thing, I don't think the guy could have had books sent to him by one seller, then submitted them to CGG, then had them returned, all in less than 10 days. CGG takes about that long on its own, let alone waiting for the buyer/seller to even get the books from his first win (the 121 ended on Sept. 9). Look closer, and you'll see that the CGG 121 and 129 were graded on 9/3, a full week before he even bought the suspected books on Ebay.

Sacmmers can be clever, but I don't think they can have books cleaned, sent off, graded, and returned--all before they even buy them in the first place.

They are the same books. There are telltale distinguishing marks that are present on both copies of each. Graded 9/03 means graded Sept. 2003. NOT graded Sept. 3rd as you stated. Additionally, if the seller & CGG are in bed with one another or if they were submitted express then it would not take long to get the comics slabbed. And I doubt CGG is swamped with submissions anyway.

hey Banner...those actually ARE printing defects found on many books:

ASM 121 (bought by tdxcomixncarz) link

Another ASM 121 from the first seller Link

Stan Lee file copy with same defects: Link

However...they still seem to same books frown.gif

ASM121 doesn't seem to be trimmed. I guess those folds on ASM 121 are pressed. I wonder how they cleaned this book so beautifully?

ASM 129 seems to be trimmed at least on top and right edges. (probably bottom edge as well, but it isn't visible in CGG-slab picture)

Both CGG and tdxcomixancardz are located in Oregon so that makes it possible to get these books graded so fast. (could someone verify this)

Both CGG and tdxcomixancardz are located in Oregon so that makes it possible to get these books graded so fast. (could someone verify this)

They are both located in Eugene, OR. Just like the buyer of my restored Avengers 4! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I'm not going to hazard a guess one way or another, but I would like to see what CGG has to say about this situation. Can anyone who's dealt with them inform them of this, get their side of the story, and report back here?

Gene

Well, I'm not going to hazard a guess one way or another, but I would like to see what CGG has to say about this situation.

• "Mistakes happen?"
  • "We're not perfect"
  • "I guess we [!@#%^&^] up............again"
  • "We plead the Fifth"
  • "Submit to us, we can help you make you money"
  • "We can't detect restoration"

Well, I'm not going to hazard a guess one way or another, but I would like to see what CGG has to say about this situation.

• "Mistakes happen?"
  • "We're not perfect"
  • "I guess we [!@#%^&^] up............again"
  • "We plead the Fifth"
  • "Submit to us, we can help you make you money"
  • "We can't detect restoration"

[*]"We like making money on our own books."

893naughty-thumb.gif