• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman ashcan sells for $90,000!!!!!

91 posts in this topic

I thought the retail on the Superman ashcan was about $45,000. And that is coming from someone who currently owns a copy in about the same grade.

S

Hey Stephen,

Any chance we could see a scan? It was my understanding that only two of these exist (aside from what may or not be available in DC's vault) Its also my understanding that the 9.0 is the highest graded one. Does anyone else in the hobby know you have one?

Any interest in getting it graded and selling it to me for $45k?

Adam

I got my copy from Mark Hannerfeld. Mark was the DC librarian from about 1982-1990. Also received and Action #1 ashcan in the same deal (and a SuperWoman ashcan cover).

Now that you have sold a copy for $90,000, certainly you would be willing to pay more than $45,000.

S

Got a scan? And if I'm not mistaken, you're the one who said you thought this book retails at $45,000, not me. If you think the book retails for $45k I assumed you'd be interested in selling at that price? Otherwise what would your motivation be for making a post like that in the first place? hm

This is incredible news. After all these years a previously unknown copy of the Superman Ashcan surfaces!

Wow. Unbelieveable. I'm stunned.

Seriously? (shrug)

Not to jump in and start ranting here, but after reading an article about someone that says his first three purchases are a virtually one-of-a-kind Superman Ashcan, a high grade Detective 27, and a high grade Superman 1 you came away thinking that he knows absolutely nothing about what he's doing? Its not like the article says he's out there investing in CGC 10.0 moderns or something.. :gossip:

Well said. (thumbs u When I read what he`d acquired (with the possible exception of the Ashcan, which I think is too esoteric an item), I thought to myself that he`s going after the best, which is always the best way to go, and he either knows the hobby pretty well or is getting good advice. Very similar approach to the one taken by Daniel Kramer when he came into the hobby years ago, and it worked out very well for him.

I've gotten to know Matt really well over the past month or so. And while it is true that he has a lot of money to spend, he is a very smart guy!

This cannot be. All the experts on these boards have said repeatedly that no new money is coming into this hobby and certainly no money is coming in from celebs or the extremely wealthy, who have better things to do with their money. Even if they were coming into the hobby, they would never go after the best of the best, even though that has been proved time and time again to be the best way to go into this hobby.

Hey Adam,

What do you know about the Supes #1 7.5 and Det #27 8.5 that Matt bought? I thought Dave Anderson owned that Supes #1 which sold a few years ago for about $280K.

well I checked the census, and theres still only one 7.5 unrestored copy...so unless he bought the 7.5 copy that famously sold for so much a few years ago, my guess is that the Tec 27 and Superman 1 were restored copies. Have there been any sales prices posted anywhere?

I was cleaning out my attic and found this... maybe it's worth $90,000 too! :grin:

I remember the "Batman ashcan" thread that image came from...it was one of the very first threads I read when I joined the boards 2+ years ago, and it was absolutely friggin' hilarious. I knew I was gonna like it around here! :applause:

so unless he bought the 7.5 copy that famously sold for so much a few years ago, my guess is that the Tec 27 and Superman 1 were restored copies.

If that`s the case, then I take back everything I said about Matt being smart or being well advised. So if Matt is reading this thread, I have some new terms for him to become familiar with: "Toxic Waste" and "I`ve been bufu`d"

There is no middle position. If he bought an unrestored 7.5 Superman 1 and unrestored 8.5 Detective 27, I`d congratulate him for entering the hobby in the right way, getting good advice and making great decisions.

If he bought restored copies of the same books, he made a terrible decision and got terrible advice (I`m assuming he didn`t get them for bargain basement prices). For the cash he probably had to splash out to get those pieces of PLOD toxic waste plus the ashcan, he could`ve acquired some fantastic big ticket high grade unrestored GA keys.

I agree 100%. kind of an oxymoron when the 'smart' money buys second-rate goods when he's clearly setting out to only buy the best. Hard to get good help in this hobby, huh?

That`s what frustrates me. It seems like every time someone with decent money tries to come into the hobby, instead of getting good advice that would give them a good impression of the hobby and get them to spread the word to their other big money buddies (this guy is a sports agent, and knows lots of ballplayers who have big money), they are seen as a big sucker to be raped and pillaged and sent hobbling away from the hobby as fast as they can.

The main problem is so many of the big dealers, whom they get their advice from, live such hand-to-mouth existences that they`re only interested in a quick big score and to hell with the long-term consequences.

That`s what frustrates me. It seems like every time someone with decent money tries to come into the hobby, instead of getting good advice that would give them a good impression of the hobby and get them to spread the word to their other big money buddies (this guy is a sports agent, and knows lots of ballplayers who have big money), they are seen as a big sucker to be raped and pillaged and sent hobbling away from the hobby as fast as they can.

The main problem is so many of the big dealers, whom they get their advice from, live such hand-to-mouth existences that they`re only interested in a quick big score and to hell with the long-term consequences.

Wow. How does someone even begin to respond to a post like yours, TTH? And this is because any book that has ever been restored instantly becomes "toxic waste" right?

I can't go into the details of the sale because I promised I wouldn't. I will be giving Matt a call first thing tomorrow to see if he minds me sharing some additional information.

But in the mean time if you feel like putting your money where your mouth is regarding some of the statements you made...

I've got $5000 that says if you line up 100 comic collectors (or dealers) and ask if they'd rather have a Detective 27 in 8.5 with some restoration or your unrestored B&B 28 that more than half will take the Detective 27.

My business is built around repeat business. Ask Matt if he feels he was taken advanage of. How dare you make comments like those without even knowing what the hell you are talking about?

Just talked with Matt... here are some things I am ok to say.

For the record,

The Superman 1 was the only one of the three books mentioned that I sold to him myself rather than helping him purchase from someone else. It was sold to him for UNDER GPA.

Since these purchases Matt and I have worked out deals on five additional books all from my personal collection. (including two unrestored Timely #1s in 8.0 or better) Three of the five books were sold for UNDER GPA, The other two were sold for less than a 10% premium over GPA.

When Matt and I first started doing business, in a few cases after purchasing something Matt decided he wanted to go a different route with his collection and asked if the books could be returned. (All were CGC graded) I took the books back without so much as a second thought. (five figure books by the way) Clearly the action of someone living hand to mouth trying to take advantage of some sucker with no regard for any longterm ramifications right?

But hey... don't let little things like not knowing the seller, not knowing the buyer, not knowing anything about the deal you are discussing, not knowing anything about the books in question, and not knowing anything about the prices paid stop you from spewing whatever the hell that garbage was...

Just talked with Matt... here are some things I am ok to say.

For the record,

The Superman 1 was the only one of the three books mentioned that I sold to him myself rather than helping him purchase from someone else. It was sold to him for UNDER GPA.

Since these purchases Matt and I have worked out deals on five additional books all from my personal collection. (including two unrestored Timely #1s in 8.0 or better) Three of the five books were sold for UNDER GPA, The other two were sold for less than a 10% premium over GPA.

When Matt and I first started doing business, in a few cases after purchasing something Matt decided he wanted to go a different route with his collection and asked if the books could be returned. (All were CGC graded) I took the books back without so much as a second thought. (five figure books by the way) Clearly the action of someone living hand to mouth trying to take advantage of some sucker with no regard for any longterm ramifications right?

But hey... don't let little things like not knowing the seller, not knowing the buyer, not knowing anything about the deal you are discussing, not knowing anything about the books in question, and not knowing anything about the prices paid stop you from spewing whatever the hell that garbage was...

So, were the Supes 1 and Tec 27 unrestored? Ungraded?

Wow. How does someone even begin to respond to a post like yours, TTH? And this is because any book that has ever been restored instantly becomes "toxic waste" right?

I can't go into the details of the sale because I promised I wouldn't. I will be giving Matt a call first thing tomorrow to see if he minds me sharing some additional information.

But in the mean time if you feel like putting your money where your mouth is regarding some of the statements you made...

I've got $5000 that says if you line up 100 comic collectors (or dealers) and ask if they'd rather have a Detective 27 in 8.5 or your B&B 28 that more than half will take the Detective 27.

My business is built around repeat business. Ask Matt if he feels he was taken advanage of. How dare you make comments like those without even knowing what the hell you are talking about?

Wow, someone`s awfully defensive.

Okay, I shouldn`t have used the term "toxic waste", because some people don`t feel the same way that I do about restored books. So for that I apologize. And he knew the book was a PLOD, so he wasn`t being duped into the classic con of buying an restored book for an unrestored price. So if you thought that`s what I was accusing you of, I also apologize. I`m sure the books were priced to reflect that they were PLODs.

On the other hand, there is a fairly sizeable segment of the market that won`t have anything to do with restored books, disclosed or not. The history of the hobby shows without any doubt that unrestored copies have performed much better than restored. Even the fact that Matt said he owned a 7.5 Superman and a 8.5 Detective 27, without indicating that they were restored, probably indicated he was aware that the perceived "impressiveness" of his acquisitions would go down significantly if he had said they were restored.

So given a client with a fairly big budget who seems to want to buy the best of the best, why steer him into PLODs? Instead of a PLOD 8.5 Detective 27, why not steer him into buying the unrestored 6.5 copy that was on sale recently?

Finally, as to your challenge as to whether most collectors would take a restored 8.5 Detective 27 vs an unrestored 9.4 B&B 28, I admit you`d probably win, but the challenge that you propose proves nothing. The issue is not whether collectors would take a restored Tec 27 vs. an unrestored copy of another book, it`s whether they would take a restored Tec 27 over an unrestored Tec 27 (which obviously would have to be of lower grade to make the dollars comparable).