• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's got the scoop on this Scoop?

24 posts in this topic

From this scoop article

Superman Ashcan Sells for Record $90,000

..."When you look at the rarity, provenance and historical importance of ashcans, you can’t help but fall in love with them,” said Sosnick. “This was my first comic purchase and, in the last month, I’ve also acquired a
CGC cetified 7.5 Superman #1 and a a CGC cetified 8.5 Detective Comics #27.
Ashcans are more than comic books, they’re a part of Americana. When Rochester, New York dealer Adam Perlman contacted me I couldn’t believe that the Superman ashcan was available. I expect it to be a seven figure book at some point."

My emphasis. While the ashcan story itself is very cool, I'm curious about the books listed and the price paid for each. Does anyone have any info they can share?

Thanks! But I was just the middle man. I never actually owned the Ashcan myself :gossip: I got an opportunity to hold it in my hands for a few days though, that was pretty fun!

I got to see it in SD this year...neat

gator

From this scoop article

..."When you look at the rarity, provenance and historical importance of ashcans, you can’t help but fall in love with them,” said Sosnick. “This was my first comic purchase and, in the last month, I’ve also acquired a
Ashcans are more than comic books, they’re a part of Americana. When Rochester, New York dealer Adam Perlman contacted me I couldn’t believe that the Superman ashcan was available. I expect it to be a seven figure book at some point."

My emphasis. While the ashcan story itself is very cool, I'm curious about the books listed and the price paid for each. Does anyone have any info they can share?

Where the hell have you been? Welcome back!

I smile when I read relative newcomers stating their take on our hobby thats been going alone fine for 40 years now. They come in and draw their own conclusions of what will and SHOULD be very valuable. But dont they realize we have parsed all these itms and already created a solid pecking order? Does this guy coming along and paying way more than anybody else for ashcans actually MAKE a market in them? Does this sound familiar to anyone else??

having said that, we can all hope he brings lots more newcomers into our hobby with as much excirement as he obviously feels.

I smile when I read relative newcomers stating their take on our hobby thats been going alone fine for 40 years now. They come in and draw their own conclusions of what will and SHOULD be very valuable. But dont they realize we have parsed all these itms and already created a solid pecking order? Does this guy coming along and paying way more than anybody else for ashcans actually MAKE a market in them? Does this sound familiar to anyone else??

You mean like the guys that bought uber high grade SA Marvels in the late 90s? hm

Boy were they silly. :kidaround:

You mean like the guys that bought uber high grade SA Marvels in the late 90s? hm

Or guys buying uber high grade Ducks and early SA DCs in the late 90s and early 00s, even though the collective wisdom had determined that these were worthless. I sure would`ve hated trying to dump those pieces of garbage in 2006 and 2007!

yeah, but thats not a fair comparison. SA Marvels were always hot key books, They just took off to a new level. Ashcans? Only appeal to a select few,... and in this case, Im reading the appeal of them to this guy as some sort of REAL first appearance that the world will someday come agree with his vision that its the MOST valuable specimen to get.

Obadiah Ashcan redux!

From this scoop article

Where the hell have you been? Welcome back!

Busy? Hiding? good to be back (so far!)