• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pence copy?

9 posts in this topic

I received some Iron Man issues in the mail #12-20 that have prices marked 1/- priced. Are these Pence copies? I always thought pence copies were marked with a 1P

They sure are. Price is in old shillings before decimalisation in 1971 to pence.

as Anfield says, any 'pence' copies from before 1971 should say either 10D or 1/- , from 1971 onwards they will say 6p and upwards

a 'shilling' was just the name for a certain value of pence coin, the same way the US uses nickle and dime, but still refer to a cents value.

I guess that would more accurately be called a "shilling copy".

Not really, 1 shilling is sixpence, or so i believe. Way before my time of course. Sounds confusing! :eek:

Ahem. 12 pennies is one shilling. 20 shillings is one pound. Ergo, 240 pennies is one pound. Six pence is just that. Six pennies.

When GB changed to decimal in 1971, The pound was retained as a pound, but split into 100 "new pennies" or new p.

So, after decimalisation one shilling (one twentieth of a pound) became 5p (still one twentieth of a pound).

Does this help?

Not really, 1 shilling is sixpence, or so i believe. Way before my time of course. Sounds confusing! :eek:

Ahem. 12 pennies is one shilling. 20 shillings is one pound. Ergo, 240 pennies is one pound. Six pence is just that. Six pennies.

When GB changed to decimal in 1971, The pound was retained as a pound, but split into 100 "new pennies" or new p.

So, after decimalisation one shilling (one twentieth of a pound) became 5p (still one twentieth of a pound).

Does this help?

only if you were trying to confuse me.

stupid british monetary system

Does this help?

:applause: perfect!

Andy