• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Have You Done to Acheive Your Grail?

91 posts in this topic

Well, I'm actually half way to funding one of my two big grails- an ASM #1 (slabbed no less). Of course, I've still got a hefty chunk of change left to cough up, and I've been wracking my brain for ways of bridging the gap. Anyhow, I've tooled around with the possibility of selling a few more non-ASMs out of my collection (one of which I have already lined up to go). Just wondering if any of you out there have sacrificed some fine looking, very key issues in order to get a hold of one of the real grail issues?

I sold my entire Golden age Batman collection to get the page one splash to Silver Surfer 17 by Buscema. It was mostly early Joker cover appearances (Tec 40, 62,69,71,91, 128,168)ranging from CGC 5.0-8.5 and I had few others like Tec 66 first Two-Face. I wound up selling the SS page awhile later to put a down payment on a car. Wish I still had the page but it's nice having a reliable vehicle.

I have and will continue to cull books out of my collection in order to finance the purchase/s of books that are more in tune with what I want my permanent collection to consist of. That is the only way that I can do so if I have a grail in mind. I have numerous grail books on my want-list, and it has been truly satisfying to aquire them as I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. Can't afford everything I want, but I might be able to convert something else to make it a possibilty. Case in point, the Thing! 15 in 8.5 that I recently posted. Wouldn't have happened without selling other books to finance it, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. If there is something you truly want, you will start finding books/artwork in your collection that just aren't that important to you anymore. That is the time when it needs a new home. I plan on putting up about 50 or so books in the next week or so in the marketplace. I really want to pick up a Showcase 60 in 9.4. That one has been a top want of mine for about 10 years now. Time to make it happen.

Scott

to buy my first Detective 27, I sold my Ferrari 328... to buy other "grails" I wanted, I sold my Corvettes (63 and 72)...basically, I traded in cars for comics :)

gator

to buy my first Detective 27, I sold my Ferrari 328... to buy other "grails" I wanted, I sold my Corvettes (63 and 72)...basically, I traded in cars for comics :)

gator

What's funny is the 328 and the 63 Vette are both cars I've looked at purchasing in the last year!

For my first grail, I just didn't buy anything for the amount of time it would have taken to save that much with my comic budget. Second grail is being paid off slowly to Metro in time payments.

My 1st grail I acquired was my Batman 1 in 1998. I had to do a wire transfer to the seller and it had to be in their account by a specific time. Not really sure why they made it all so hard, but they did. I had to juggle around some money and take out a signature loan because it took some time to put the cash together. At the end of the day it worked out.

2nd grail was a page of artwork. This one was easier and harder both. The person I bought it from was great to work with and let me do time payments. I paid it off ahead of schedule. To pay for it I finally sold off my Batman doubles which required me to sell my soul to the devil. I opened and Ebay store! I still feel dirty but in the end, it was worth it.

Installed alot of floorcovering for the big orange box- sold one of my super sprints--could never sell one of my vettes like tec27kid-ferrari sure doh!:hi: how was the boat ride rick--i think i saw the sold tec27 on your site playing baseball this week--well thats the scoop i heard-

but

they are nice grails

Superman155.jpg

1251387.jpg

652238.jpg

and marvel1 coming soon--maybe i'll have to sell the vettes :grin: