• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Have You Done to Acheive Your Grail?

91 posts in this topic

Seriously, very nice book, Richie. I rarely see books from the Twlight Ped...

Thanks Danny. There weren't very many books in the Twilight Collection.

The best thing about this book is the color on the cover. So many Marvel 1s are

a little faded or washed out.

Seriously, very nice book, Richie. I rarely see books from the Twlight Ped...

Thanks Danny. There weren't very many books in the Twilight Collection.

The best thing about this book is the color on the cover. So many Marvel 1s are

a little faded or washed out.

meh....It's not even an October copy. :baiting::grin:

The great thing about this Holy Grail concept is that the prize varies so greatly from person to person (ASM 1, BB28, Tec 27 etc...) For me at least, the thought of owning a Cap 1 or Marvel 1 is just plain crazy talk.

Can we see a few more Holy Grails in this thread please?

well, i haven't started yet, but what i'm GOING to do is buy a grail from high grade comics, since they do 1 year time payments. now to decide which grail (and wait until they have it).

1 year ? Wow I didnt know Bob would do that. Thats a long, long time. Just dont ask him for those terms on a $500 dollar book.

yeah, it says up to one year on the site. as far as price, the grails i'm thinking of are all ranging from $1,400-$4,000

Great Book Doc Watson!

Here are my two grails to date:

This one just came in from the post office.

phantomstranger1f1.jpg

I'm still making time payments on the ASM 1.

ASM1FC.jpg

The great thing about this Holy Grail concept is that the prize varies so greatly from person to person (ASM 1, BB28, Tec 27 etc...) For me at least, the thought of owning a Cap 1 or Marvel 1 is just plain crazy talk.

Agree completely with this thought. For years, my grail was a Daredevil 1. Then I got one and I'm not sure I have a grail that I'm actively hunting. FC 178 (1st Scrooge) would be great as would Xmen 1. The big dogs are unobtainable (MMC1, Action 1, Tec 27) so I don't know where that leaves me. I'd like to upgrade my 1 time grail but I'm also considering selling to possibly buy other books. Maybe I need to revisit the "focus your collection" thread from a few weeks ago.

Xmen101.jpg

Braggart

(I've seen a ton of these, but that is BY FAR the nicest (thumbs u )

Installed alot of floorcovering for the big orange box- sold one of my super sprints--could never sell one of my vettes like tec27kid-ferrari sure doh!:hi: how was the boat ride rick--i think i saw the sold tec27 on your site playing baseball this week--well thats the scoop i heard-

but

they are nice grails

Superman155.jpg

1251387.jpg

652238.jpg

and marvel1 coming soon--maybe i'll have to sell the vettes :grin:

I see you have a new addition to the family Ben. Very nice! :golfclap:

flew all over the country researching every lead...

countless hours wasted online...

heard EVERY story from wanna-be sellers how MINT their junk turned out to be VF 7.0 at best...

sent CGC-graded NM 9.0 - 9.2's to be pressed out professionally only to get bcak 9.2 & one 9.4...

every yard sale that said they had old comics and only picked up two old batman comics - and I do not market DC's at all... oh, this is over a TEN-YEAR-PERIOD in Southern California, where literally dozens of people die every day and most of the deceased here are somewhat affluent and have relatives that want to sell the inherited things...seen TONS of bronze/copper/moderns/drek during that time, but very few decent Golden Age and Silver Age comics. The few I found( Superman # 2, batman #'s 3, 4, 7, 8, 9) they all wanted over guide and I walked away...

printed up business cards about 25 times - handed them ALL out to possible leads - see above paragraph

put ads in newspapers, local pennysavers, mart mags, etc - more drek...

word-of-mouth from co-workers, friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend - "Hey I know of so-and-so that has this HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Marvel superhero collection and papmers them better than his girl - who is forcing the cad to sell them...I make the appointment, drive my Excursion( 12 MPG) al over the countryside, wrong driving directions, speeding tickets( my fault), get there and either:

1) the man who wants to sell is gone( for many reasons)

2) more drek - the man had Spider-Man alright - volume 3 - then gets upset with me because they ARE Mint like he said they were - I politely remind him that they have to have 12 CENTS on the cover - not the $12.00 Wizard send-aways...

3) they want 5X or more over guide - Wonder woman # 7 - the lady INSISTED I pay her the then $3,500 NM 9.4 in an old Overstreet guide - the comic was VG 4.0 at best - she ordered me out of her house like I was some kind of burgler...

call the bluffs on the spam I get - the most recent was from Superworld - they had some kind of sale, and they said they had TWO of my pets at NM - I called and got someone else( the main guy from Superworld was at a Con) and it was determined that it was better off if the VF 8.0 tops copies went to someone else that was not so "persnickety" as me...

because NOW when I buy a comic off eBay and they say it is MINT - it better be mint because now I am asking for returns. if they don't get me my money back they get in this order:

1) a negative on eBay - no questions asked

2) as soon as I smell trouble( the comic has not been returned) I file the PayPal claim immediately so they cannot stiff me

3) I email my buddies and warn them or post something on the CGC boards

occasionally hang up fliers to the local campuses, coffee shops, etc.

routinely pester the other sellers like Comiclink, Pedigree, etc to email me if my pets come through their doors.

And NO, I still have not found my grail: Iron Man and Sub-Mariner CGC MINT 10.0.

Still looking

never-say-die-CAL