• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

was anybody else disappointed with the cover of Wolverine #1 (regular series)

27 posts in this topic

was anybody else disappointed with the cover of Wolverine #1 (the regular series).

the four Miller covers from the mini series we’re so cool at the time, when i finally saw Buscema’s first cover i was let down.

i like Buscema but i was never crazy about his Wolverine covers.

was anybody else disappointed with the cover of Wolverine #1 (the regular series).

the four Miller covers from the mini series we’re so cool at the time, when i finally saw Buscema’s first cover i was let down.

Here's a different perspective: I was at least somewhat disappointed that they began a Wolverine regular series at all. And I didn't buy it (even tho Wolvie was one of my fave characters in the 80s).

It's almost hard to remember today, but Marvel exercised a surprising amount of restraint in the 1980s by not completely overusing the character. So when the series began...and yeah, the cover definitely didn't help, because it definitely didn't look like anything "new"...it felt to me like the gloves were coming off, that Marvel was no longer worried about overusing his character if it meant a sales bump or three. And sure enough, a few years later he was popping up on every Marvel cover and in every Marvel title...or at least it sure felt that way.

The book that came out 20 years ago? :screwy:

Actually it's a good question. I wish the internet had been around back then because there's a few questions I'd have been asking.

Like the eye patch ???doh!

Man, I feel old....

The cover to the Mini #1 was so great that anything after that was downhill. I still think the Mini #1 is the best Wolverine cover ever....summed him up in one image. Claws popped and saying Come and get some of this!!!! CLASSIC!!!

The reg. #1 is just another Wolverine cover.

That cover has always gotten a bad wrap, mostly because they put him out of costume and in some blue and black get up. Personally Buscema did some pretty good work, but the cover to #1 was not part of it.

I thought the Miller covers for the mini looked terrible. #2 of the regular series (the one with the Silver Samurai) is one of my favorite covers around.

:screwy:

Screwy indeed. I thought every one of those mini covers was great. I think #2 is my favorite, but I love them all, even the non-action #3. Millers art throughout is just superb.

Loved the mini-series covers!!

It's tough to follow an act like Frank Miller, and dynamic covers were not a Buscema strong point. Both the Buscema's were much better at technical aspects, like layouts, positioning and story flow.

And yes, the gloves were definitely coming off at that point in Marvel's history. The Punisher was featured in two ongonigs at this point, and crossovers and multi-book story-lines were becoming standard fare.