• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to Identify Schomburg Title

33 posts in this topic

A few years ago I came across a book with an air-brushed Xela cover. It was a romance book with a portrait of a woman. Very unlike other Schomburg work. When I looked it up I noticed that there were 4 or 5 issues with similar covers by him.

I don't know what happened to the book - I probably sold it but it could be buried - and can't locate the title in the Guide.

Who knows what title I'm referring to?

Look under Dear Beatrice Fairfax in Guide. States All have Schomburg Covers issues, 5 through 9.

Are you a robot or something?, nice work.

Ze-

It's scary, isn't it. He's got total recall. I can barely remember the things I have to do today, let alone some obscure comic book title. You're amazing, Michael (worship)

Look under Dear Beatrice Fairfax in Guide. States All have Schomburg Covers issues, 5 through 9.

Ze-

Michaël lives, breathes, and eats GA comics. (thumbs u

Sadly this dietary intake of dusty, old paper means he won't live much longer. :sorry:

(:

Ze-

That what I was going to say. Scrooge is a very knowlegeable GA collector..

Last post I promise -

2af8_3.JPG

Pretty sure I have a high grade # 8 or # 9....truely cool airbrush cover for a Romance title. Not flashy or overloaded with detail like his war covers were, and certainly more refined with excellent airbrush technique. I think its a lot of Schomburg's obscure stuff from the late 40s that really defines his abilities as an artist.

Funny thing is, a lot of his later work for Better is still not credited to him in Overstreet even though the covers are clearly Schomburg.

They are missing lots and lots of covers but in all fairness his art at that time is much less stylized.

They are missing lots and lots of covers but in all fairness his art at that time is much less stylized.

AS. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "much less stylized'? Do you mean it's more detailed or less dependent on design? Just curious.

Here's a Schomburg painting from that time period which shows the "other" Schomburg. Not the Timely comic artist Alex, not the Airbush Xela, but the fine artist Schomburg in case people have not seen his other work -

46345-OtherSchomburg.jpg.36db44b55c91ba2f94ec0fe4300c6d4f.jpg

The art on his late comic book covers is less stylized than on his earlier covers.

Beatrice Fairfax (thumbs u

You rock, Scroogie! Thanks for the info.

(worship)

As funny as this sounds, all I could think of was Paula Prentiss. :makepoint:

Of course, there's no Paula Prentiss in the Guide. Whatever happened to her anyway?

Can someone post all the covers? Aren't they similar in layout?

Here's a link to GCD with all the covers, Gary

http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=13460

Yep. I have issue # 8. Great cover, especially with the striking reds.

:sumo: Post it!