• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman#1 - "glue at staple" - help!!

99 posts in this topic

(shrug) I have a chance at a Batman #1 - everything seems to be in order. Affordable enough grade for my budget, not restored, OW/white to OW pages described as "very nice", no colour touch, no cleaning, and no evidence of rice paper. Only thing mentioned is that "someone has put glue at the staple". In your experts' opinions, is this worrisome enough to possibly call "restoration" when/if ever graded by CGC , or should I not be worried at all ??

Your thankful Board Member FISHBONE

I would think glue at staple would garner a PLOD. If it was on the cover, where there's no chance it could be used to structurally enhance anything, it would probably get a blue label. But on the staple... doh!

Angelo

(shrug) I have a chance at a Batman #1 - everything seems to be in order. Affordable enough grade for my budget, not restored, OW/white to OW pages described as "very nice", no colour touch, no cleaning, and no evidence of rice paper. Only thing mentioned is that "someone has put glue at the staple". In your experts' opinions, is this worrisome enough to possibly call "restoration" when/if ever graded by CGC , or should I not be worried at all ??

I just can't envision spending decent coin on a GA key without the benefit of a CGC restoration check.

(Note to CGC: do I get my normal fee for plugging you guys?). :gossip:

Glue at the staple, huh? Sounds like there could be some spine reinforcement on the inside front cover. Maybe the seller is unaware of it, if it is indeed reinforcement. Or maybe it's nothing. Just my analysis would say a good chance of reinforcement. I don't know why else there would be glue at the staple. If there is no reason for the glue to be there for restoration purposes, I would suspect that the book would not be considered "restored".

If the seller isn't willing to submit it for resto check or pro grading then I would recommmend walking away. If he is then all is well and await the results.

It's actually Metro I'm dealing with -- so I should just ask Stephen to get a "resto check" for me - what is this? Is this not simply a full grading process or not - does CGC do this pre-grading sort of thing, or are we talking about getting it fully graded first ?? Do you think Metro would agree to this ?? What's your experience with this, anybody?

FISH

Just to forewarn you Fishbone, by all of our standards and CGC's, this book has "slight restoration". We just don't want to see you pay an unrestored price for a restored book (thumbs u

Steve

What grade does Metro give it?

They have been in the business an awful long time.

I would imagine that they would know restoration, considering

all their years of grading experience.

Or maybe not (shrug)

Perhaps there is also the possibility of having the potential resto removed. If it is just some glue at the staple.

Let's hope it isn't holding the cover on :wishluck:

This is from my today's email to fishbone. These are the exact words:

"Someone has put glue at the staple. Otherwise, it is unrestored. It is possible that the glue can be removed but we have chosen not to do that (maybe we should). The book has no color touch, has not been cleaned, and has no rice paper. The pages are very nice. Either ow/white or off-white".

I would think that if we said glue at staple otherwise unrestored, people wouldn't walk away thinking that we just said the book was unrestored.

S

Someone has put glue at the staple. Otherwise, it is unrestored. It is possible that the glue at be removed but we have chose not to do that (maybe we should). The book has no color touch, has not been cleaned, and has no rice paper. The pages are very nice. Either ow/white or off-white.

S

So...other than the restoration it is unrestored?

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

Hey Fishbone, a few questions.

How and where the glue applied is pretty important. In other words.. why is it there?.. is it serving a real purpose and was done for a reason(holding the staple in place, or the paper containing the staple), and if it's removed is it applied in such a manner that it will damage the book enough to lower the grade.

Ze-

Someone has put glue at the staple. Otherwise, it is unrestored. It is possible that the glue at be removed but we have chose not to do that (maybe we should). The book has no color touch, has not been cleaned, and has no rice paper. The pages are very nice. Either ow/white or off-white.

S

So...other than the restoration it is unrestored?

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

It is hard for me to label a book with a small dot of glue, or small dot of CT as "restored" Technically.. yes I suppose it is, and must be called something. But restored?.. ..c'mon.

I can see a buyer viewing it in such a way that allows them to ask for restored pricing, and as a seller I can see how you think the book is so frickin close to unrestored that it should command to top dollar.

Hey, I didn't say I had an answers, just idle observations

Ze-