• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Praise of Title Spash Pages

230 posts in this topic

Just got this Ron Lim Thanos title splash that I am very happy with! Check it out!!!

http://cafurl.com?i=7264

The Psychomachia (Battle of Souls) by the Late Antique Latin poet Prudentius is probably the first and most influential "pure" medieval allegory, the first in a long tradition of works as diverse as the Romance of the Rose, Everyman, and Piers Plowman.

In slightly less than a thousand lines, the poem describes the conflict of vices and virtues as a battle in the style of Virgil's Aeneid. Christian faith is attacked by and defeats pagan idolatry to be cheered by a thousand Christian martyrs. Chastity is assaulted by lust, but cuts down her enemy with a sword. Anger attacks patience, is unable to defeat her and destroys herself instead. In a similar manner, various vices fight corresponding virtues and are always defeated. Biblical figures that exemplify these virtues also appear (e.g. Job as an example of patience).

Despite the fact that seven virtues defeat seven vices, these are not the canonical seven deadly sins, nor the three theological and four cardinal virtues.

It's been a year, so time to resurrect this thread...

When this thread started, I had no title splash pages. Since then, I've gotten four.

Here's my latest piece, a title splash from AMERICAN FLAGG! #11:

AmericanFlagg11p8b.jpg

Felix and Greg, congrats on your smoking hot title splash pages, they are incredible.

Here's a question, while in the comics, both modern and vintage splash pages appear as title splash pages, BUT, in the art, only the vintage ones have the titles still on them (for obvious reasons). Are they all still title splash pages?

I know a cover is a cover, even without the logo, but is a title splash a title splash, without the title? My opinion is, of course, that a title splash is a title splash even without the title, but that modern comic OA without the lettering just makes it harder to differentiate between those and other full page splashes.

Just a little philosophical introspection to start the new year.

By the way, best wishes to everyone for a happy and healthy New Year.

- Artemis

Personally I love the vintage splash pages just because they DO look like a splash page, with all the logos and credits and cool nostalgic stuff. I have a few "modern" splashes and they just don't seem as cool.

I kind of like the modern ones a little better because they aren't so cluttered! (shrug)

To each his own. I guess the difference of opinion is what makes the hobby great. . . Even though I am right! :sumo:

Great thread, love seeing the gems that have been showing up. Hopefully it won't be another year before this gets revisited.

Only title splash that I currently have, but I like it for the significance it has for the series.

From "The Wake" - Sandman #71 page 1

Happy New Year everyone