• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #1 Auction - Legit Copy?

18 posts in this topic

forgive my ignorance, but i keep thinking that the gloss on these FFE reprints can't - it just can't - be the same as the originals. all the scams photographed at oblique angles give away the super-glossy covers used on the FFEs, but having never held an original Superman 1, i don't know if this is a correct assumption or not

forgive my ignorance, but i keep thinking that the gloss on these FFE reprints can't - it just can't - be the same as the originals. all the scams photographed at oblique angles give away the super-glossy covers used on the FFEs, but having never held an original Superman 1, i don't know if this is a correct assumption or not

you are correct sir,.. the FFE reprints have much glossier (is that a word ?) covers than the original editions, which I've seen a few originals up close at shows but of course don't have one of my own.

the thing I always look at first is Supes hair, the originals are very light blue, while the reprints are a very deep bold blue color.

Yes, the reprints are waaaay too glossy, plus the cut is wrong (check out the top compared to an original), and the colors are off - the blue is much darker than an original (and the yellow is way too glossy & bright) plus the original has a dotted line on the back cover for you to cut the Superman pin-up, the FFE doesn't include that.

hello all...

here are the "keys" to distinquishing superman reprint

1)the back cover has black dotted line on the spine of the original that kids could cut out and hang up, the reprint does not

2)the 10cent square on the original has white border surrounding the 10c...on the reprint, the "1" touches the black border, with no white in between it

3) enlarged Superman logo and print with diminished yellow non text spacing relative to the comic's top and bottom edges -on this copy, it has been trimmed down

4) the type of paper stock used which was glossier and was of a different texture

rick

Are the ads on the interiors identical? Looking at this auction, there's an ad for a 15-cent fish hook. That seems awful high for 1939, no? (not that I have any frame of reference). Even $1.50 for a pocket adding machine seems more 1970's pricing. (shrug)

As far as scammers go, I've never understood why a scammer doesn't sell a coverless Superman #1. I mean with both the outer and inner cover missing. Beat up the book a little bit, don't disclose the dimnesions and describe it as an attic find. If he really wanted to be good about it, sell it with other cheap coverless comics from 1938/39.

Whats a coverless worth, 3 grand or so? Without the cover and dimensions, is there anyway to determine if its original or not? I think the Treasuty size has 3 staples which might be able to be seen on a picture.

Think like a con so you aren't conned yourself.

Ed

OS Guide has a blurb under this book (and Tec 27, IIRC) about the FFE, noting that there have been cases of the cover being removed and being sold as original.

I think it says something to the effect of "virtually identical". No access to OS right now to check exact wording.

As far as scammers go, I've never understood why a scammer doesn't sell a coverless Superman #1. I mean with both the outer and inner cover missing. Beat up the book a little bit, don't disclose the dimnesions and describe it as an attic find. If he really wanted to be good about it, sell it with other cheap coverless comics from 1938/39.

Whats a coverless worth, 3 grand or so? Without the cover and dimensions, is there anyway to determine if its original or not? I think the Treasuty size has 3 staples which might be able to be seen on a picture.

Ed

Ed....no nead to give them ideas....

Ed

hello all...

both only have 2 staples, but the "size" is the giveaway...on the FFE version, the spacing between the edge border and the story border, don't allow for them to be trimmed without a "reasonable" buyer being able to distinquish... in other words, if you trim down a FFE, there is virtually no border above, below and to the right, of the art...but, to someone that has never seen the inside, a potential scam is there

rick

OS Guide has a blurb under this book (and Tec 27, IIRC) about the FFE, noting that there have been cases of the cover being removed and being sold as original.

I think it says something to the effect of "virtually identical". No access to OS right now to check exact wording.

All these FFE scams have the out cover removed which is what OS is talking about. Take it one step further and also remove the other cover (both the outer cover with all the words about it being a reprint, and the inner cover which is similar but not exact to the original)

I don't think OS is referring to that method being used as a scam.

In the end I can't see this as being much different then just pretending to sell something and then not delivering. Either way its fraud and difficult to get your money back if you paid outside of paypal or credit card. Main thing is to look for red flags.

Unknown seller, no reputation, cooky attic find story, sold with no other comics, will not have it graded, doesn't answer questions, over the top marktting

Oh wait, wrong thread....

The first line in the description is:

"This is a 1970's Reprint of the 1939 Superman #1 Comic Book by Detective Comics, Inc."

Was this added after this thread was started?

Jeff

yep, it is a post discussion addition

rick