• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shill? You tell me....

63 posts in this topic

This is sort of a silly question, but why don't you get a U.S. post office box and have books shipped to there. Every month or so take a drive down and pick them up - that might solve your problem with shipping. Just set up a paypal account with a US shipping address and presto chango. I still don't understand though, why there's a problem sending to Canuckleheads anyway? Who cares? You're paying me in US dollars, so what do I care?

That's an idea, but it really doesn't happen enough to make the effort worth the payout. Over the last few years, most US sellers have become aware of the Canuck bucks on EBay, and have adjusted their policies.

This one was just bad timing. He used to ship to Canada, some Canuck ripped him off, so he was irate in his S&H section. Plus, this came on the heels of a bad scene with another seller I hit the BIN on, so I really didn't need the aggravation.

This is sort of a silly question, but why don't you get a U.S. post office box and have books shipped to there. Every month or so take a drive down and pick them up - that might solve your problem with shipping. Just set up a paypal account with a US shipping address and presto chango. I still don't understand though, why there's a problem sending to Canuckleheads anyway? Who cares? You're paying me in US dollars, so what do I care?

That's an idea, but it really doesn't happen enough to make the effort worth the payout. Over the last few years, most US sellers have become aware of the Canuck bucks on EBay, and have adjusted their policies.

This one was just bad timing. He used to ship to Canada, some Canuck ripped him off, so he was irate in his S&H section. Plus, this came on the heels of a bad scene with another seller I hit the BIN on, so I really didn't need the aggravation.

But I still don't understand the problem with shipping to Canada (or anywhere else, for that matter). You're still paying me in dollars, so who cares? Is there some special Canadian Paypal Scam that I just haven't gotten hit with or something?

But I still don't understand the problem with shipping to Canada (or anywhere else, for that matter). You're still paying me in dollars, so who cares? Is there some special Canadian Paypal Scam that I just haven't gotten hit with or something?

Apparently there is. I don't know the exact deal, but from what I remember of the email, the guy paid via Paypal, and then forced a refund even though the books arrived. Due to the non-Confirmed status of Canucks, I guess Paypal screwed him and he was ticked.

I learned later that the Canuck was a low-feedback guy, and for a trustworthy soul like myself, the same rules didn't apply. Found that out a tad late, don't you think? 893frustrated.gif

The problem with shipping to Canada is simple - it's a pain. Custom form needed, you have to go to the PO to send it (can't send it from my mailbox), it has to be registered or some other nonsense to insure it (I don't believe you can insure global priority mail), limited selection of free shipping supplies, etc.,. I'm sure there's some Paypal/CC liability issue as well.

Personally, I've always sold internationally and would guess that 30% of the books I sell go to Canada or the UK, but it is a pain and that's why people don't do it.

While the "gotta go to the Post Office" is defnitely true, the others are not quite accurate.

You can insure both Parcel Post and boxed Global Priority for a $2.20 surcharge. Global Priority also offers free boxes and you're only restirced by weight. On smaller Parcels and Global Priority boxes/envelopes, no customs form is needed, and you just fill in the green sticker.

Where it gets sticky is with a large,heavy package insured to the hilt. Then it's "drag out the customs forms" time. 893frustrated.gif

While the "gotta go to the Post Office" is defnitely true, the others are not quite accurate.

You can insure both Parcel Post and boxed Global Priority for a $2.20 surcharge. Global Priority also offers free boxes and you're only restirced by weight. On smaller Parcels and Global Priority boxes/envelopes, no customs form is needed, and you just fill in the green sticker.

Where it gets sticky is with a large,heavy package insured to the hilt. Then it's "drag out the customs forms" time.

I've never been able to insure global priority, and the USPS website does not include insurance as an option when pricing out global priority rates (it is available on parcel post, global express, others). And you can't send packages over 4 pounds via registered mail either, or so they told me last week! I'm tellin' ya Joe, there's a regular matrix of whos/whats/whens/wheres/limits/restrictions when it comes to international shipping and insurance, delivery confirmation, etc.,. and unfortunately, there's no consistency between post office to post office, postal employee to postal employee, etc.,.

The $2.20 figure is insurance coverage from $50-100. There is no "surcharge" for international insurance - the rates are the same as in the US.

The "green sticker" IS the customs form (you don't see the other half of it that they tear off and keep at the PO) - another step above/beyond what's required for domestic postage.

Personally, I've always sold internationally and would guess that 30% of the books I sell go to Canada or the UK, but it is a pain and that's why people don't do it.

But my packages are a charm? flowerred.gif

Jim

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let me revise the above statement "I...would guess that 35% of the books I sell go to Canada or the UK or Germany or Sweden or Belgium or Hong Kong or France or Australia..." thumbsup2.gif

Now yours aren't as bad as we can use priority mail, and sometimes they ask for the green sticker, sometimes they don't!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

The "green sticker" IS the customs form (you don't see the other half of it that they tear off and keep at the PO) - another step above/beyond what's required for domestic postage.

You think that's a customs form? The big multi-page white forms you have to fill out in triplicate is a customs form. grin.gif

And when I spoke of Global Express, I didn't mean the envelopes, but the boxes. They're more expensive $15-$17, but they do allow insurance and have a hefty weight limit.

You think that's a customs form? The big multi-page white forms you have to fill out in triplicate is a customs form.

I've done it a million times Joe, I know what a customs form is and how the USPS works (or doesn't work in some cases). Feel free to educate me until your face turns blue about sending packages from Canada to the US, but you obviously don't know how it works going the other way - the "big multi-page white forms you have to fill out in triplicate" you refer to is actually a one-page form with carbon copies, there is no insurance surcharge, you can't insure global priority, etc.,.

I've done it a million times Joe, I know what a customs form is and how the USPS works (or doesn't work in some cases). Feel free to educate me until your face turns blue about sending packages from Canada to the US, but you obviously don't know how it works going the other way -

Hey banner, I used to live in NY, so I'm not just talking about of my butt. I think my problem is that a few things have changed since then. grin.gif

And my "forms in triplicate" was a joke, or not one, if you ever sent through Fedex to Canada. As in, "you think that's a custom form...."

If this person does have a whole lot of X-Men 94's and GS X-Men #1's then he's going to make a killing when he unloads them, however he might just drive the price on these downward if he unloads too many too quickly(at least if they are very high grade).

Where have you been? He's been unloading them to the tune of one to two a week for the last year. Not all are "very" high grade but some are - which accounts for the same dealers buying them despite high bids rising into the $400 and over range. And when was the last time you saw raw GS X-Men #1 and #94 consistently getting this kind of cash on eBay......

The guy has a seemingly endless supply of them. And ASM #121, #122, #129, GR #1.....

Jim

blush.gif WOW! Thanks for all the updates on this seller. I've only got 1 X-Men #94 cgc 9.0,so I might just upgrade if the 9.4's ever start to drop.

Michael

I've done it a million times Joe, I know what a customs form is and how the USPS works (or doesn't work in some cases). Feel free to educate me until your face turns blue about sending packages from Canada to the US, but you obviously don't know how it works going the other way -

Hey banner, I used to live in NY, so I'm not just talking about of my butt. I think my problem is that a few things have changed since then. grin.gif

And my "forms in triplicate" was a joke, or not one, if you ever sent through Fedex to Canada. As in, "you think that's a custom form...."

The little green sticker thing is for packages under 4 pounds. For packages over 4 pounds its the big white form (for the USPS). You cannot insure Global Priority Mail AT ALL to any country. You can insure Global Express, but Global Express is significantly more expensive (5X-7X) than Global Priority, especially overseas.

BTW, the absolute best shipping deal in the world is Global Priority Mail flat rate for $9. I can't imagine how much money they lose.

I usually send single books to Canada the same way I send books to the US, I simply insert (DARTH STOP LOOKING HERE) the Priority Mail envelope with the well packaged book into a 10X13 mailing envelope, slap a stamp on it and stick it in the mailbox. It gets there eventually, usually the same speed to major Canuck cities (although it takes FOREVER to send something to Edmonton, Saskatoon or Calgary for some reason). Packages are an entirely different matter. Takes forever.

I usually send single books to Canada the same way I send books to the US, I simply insert (DARTH STOP LOOKING HERE) the Priority Mail envelope with the well packaged book into a 10X13 mailing envelope, slap a stamp on it and stick it in the mailbox.

Dude! This is a revelation to me...at what point do you have to use the green sticker? How much postage do you put on it? And why doesn't the link to your ebay auctions on your webpage work? Why Dan, WHY!?!? 893frustrated.gif

Global Priority - can't insure

Global Express - CAN insure

Different services.

Ooops, I tend to use them interchangeably since I view them as the same service, just diffeent limits. Plus, I am a Canuck. grin.gif

throw this into the mix and you can understand why it's all easy to jumble up. I can use the regular US Domestic Express to send you a package in Canada as well - except it'll take 2-4 days, while the same service is guaranteed next day delivery in the US. to get something to you overnight, I have to use Global Guaranteed Express...which even I confuse with Global Express foreheadslap.gif

(DARTH STOP LOOKING HERE)

As long as they are "used" priority envelopes/boxes, ie, those recycled from the packages sent to you.

I've talked about reusing sturdy boxes before; don't think that the USPS has a problem with reusing Priority materials after they've gotten the one time use fee from it. The problem is cutting the free priority box, flipping inside out and retaping to send at a non Priority rate.