• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shill? You tell me....

63 posts in this topic

I think the thing that bothers me the most about shills is when retractions are used by a shill account on the same day the auctions end. If I remember correctly, eBay states that a retraction cannot occur in the last 12 hours of the auction, but I think that retractions shouldn't be allowed period.

I once had an auction where I know a shill was used to knock down the price in the last 13 hours of the auction. I wasn't around to nurse the auction because it ended during rush hour, on my way home from work, and in the end, the winner ended up getting the item for a few hundred dollars less because I didn't catch on. I only caught on to his ways a few months later when the shill id ended up winning another of my items, and I noticed his shipping address was identical to the address of the winning bidder of the auction where the retraction was used. At that point, it was already too late to report it to eBay, and all I could do is block the bidder from bidding on any of my future auctions.

Its not to say that I condone any shill activity, but its abuse in the manner of trying to screw over a seller with retractions that I find to be the absolute lowest form of activity.