• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your ONE-OF-A-KIND CGC SS books, or lone top census CGC SS books!
19 19

4,440 posts in this topic

In my quest to put together sets of s/s (and what I really dig are the sets that I can get different creator sigs)....I started on mini-series from the 1980s recently.

Gargoyle, while easy to find, I swear getting HG copies has been impossible.

I had two sets in my OO collection, and I always thought the dark covers on these made them so tough to get 9.8.

I've been working on (the last 2 years) Sword of Solomon Kane 1-6, Amazing High Adventure 1-5, Cloak & Dagger 1-4, Ray Bradbury Chronicles 1-5, Nick Fury VS SHIELD 1-5, Punisher 1-5, etc....and what I've been trying to focus on more is the cover artist sigs above all else.

I'll have a complete 9.8 set of Solomon Kane after this week (thanks to Dan Green and Frank Cirocco), once I get Dave McKean this summer I'll have a full Bradbury set....but this Gargoyle set was sketchy for me.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out the cover artist on #2 was, till it came back as BILL SIENKIEWICZ. Comicbookdb.com lists the artist as Jon Muth. As well as stating the Dan Green did the cover art for 3 and 4. But when I gave Dan the books to sign, he said he didn't do the cover art on #4. And the CGC label only lists Mark Badger as the interior artist.

So if anyone knows who painted the cover to Gargoyle #4, LMK.

That being said...census records these as the only graded s/s copies!

All signed by writer J.M. DeMatteis and two out of four cover artists..in a few months, I'll be adding Bill S. to #2.

A nice compliment to this set would be The Demon #1-4 by Matt Wagner :think:

s/s DeMatteis & Bernie Wrightson (cover art)

gargoyle1.jpg

Edited by Rich_Henn

Marvel Premiere #57 CGC 9.6 s/s Simonson.

I remember picking this up as a teenager because it was 1st Doctor Who--I never saw the show before, but a buddy in art class was always raving about it.

Of the two books in s/s, this one records top census, under copy at an 8.5

mp57.jpg

Edited by Rich_Henn

s/s DeMatteis

Anyone know who the cover artist is?

According to ComicBookDB, the cover artist for both #3 and #4 is

Daniel Green - 'Dan Green'

I know, but he's not. Green told me himself that he only did #3.

He had no idea who the real artist was.

Of course, that being said, I had a Sword of Solomon Kane #1 that Bernie did, and you can tell it's his style too. And at Heroes con 2010, and joeypost will back me up on this...Bernie insisted up and down that he did NOT paint that cover.

Well, he signed it...and yes, he DID do the cover.

But I guess so many years had passed that he didn't remember.

But if you're even a little familiar with Bernie's style, you know it's his work.

Green Hornet #1 (J. Scott Campbell Cover) CGC SS 9.8 signed by Seth Rogen

Seth Rogen's last name spelled incorrectly on the label. Also, I'm quite surprised that this is the only SS copy of the regular Campbell cover for this issue.

GreenHornet1.jpg