• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

support your LCS

184 posts in this topic

I just read a thread called "end of the modern era" which is truly sad. When their is no longer a modern era of comics, it is only a matter of time until the collectors die out and the hobby will be gone. Yes, cover prices are through the roof. Storylines are inconsistent and sometimes it may be months between issues. However, modern comics are still the lifeblood of this hobby, and the LCS are the heart and soul.

LCS provide tons of invaluable services to the collectors. Besides offering (generally) a full selection of new product, most offer trade paperbacks, statues, all sorts of comic related material and comic supplies. By choosing to save what basically amounts to pennies(after shipping and problems you might have) by buying comics from someone on ebay or from a web-site, you may be dooming your local comic shop. Comics probably have less profit margin of just about any non essential item(food, gas,etc). And the product has so much uncertainty built in(due to delays from the publisher, changes in creative teams, crappy creative teams), it is almost impossible to order with any accuracy. Most stores probably get about a 53% discount on new product. If you do the math, it is almost unbelievable. Say a store gets 500 new comics a week at a price of 2.99 each. If they sell every book, they make a profit of approximately 750.00. If they offer any kind of discount(which most do), the number shrinks considerably. And do you know ANY store that sells ever issue that they order? I don't. And from that profit, he is supposed to pay rent, payroll, insurance, and make a living.

Think about it from the other side. I know a guy who used to have a store who offered a 15% discount if you took more than 20 titles. He told me that one of his customers left, and went to a store 15 miles a way through the city for an extra 5% discount. Lets just do that math on that. 5% off on a 3.00 comic is 15 cents. 15 cents x 20 titles is $3.00. Isn't driving 15 miles both ways through a city, and the time wasted in doing that going to cost you more than 3.00. It would seem so.

Before you sell out on your local store for 5%, 10% or more, think about what you are doing to the store. That small percentage is worth alot more to him than it is you. If you are so hard pressed that saving .15 cents an issue with you, maybe you don't need to be buying comics at all.

I understand that some of your LCS owners may be jerks, or lowlifes. However many are not. Take good care of these guys. I have several friends that own stores and unless you are in a huge population center, it is really hard to make decent money. You are definitely not going to get rich. For most of these guys, it is a labor of love, and they are the future of the hobby. If you find a decent one, support him. I don't own a store, so don't take this as sour grapes. I have just talked to enough guys who are struggling with the new comic market as much as the customers are. And after reading some very cynical posts about this subject, I just wanted to give my two cents.

A noble post Dale, and I wish you, and other store owners, all the luck life affords one. However, personally I think the overall state of comic books has long since been decided.

When company heads like Jorge Quesada, have no issue with telling magazines that Marvel would like to get out of the comic business, and focus on a more relevant, and productive entertainment model...well, that's about all we need know.

just my worthless pennies of an opinion

Its not all bad of course, thankfully the back issue aspect of the hobby has many more decades, and generations of interest, and health. Comic books, did it to themselves, and I don't think the powers that be, care one iota...i don't.

I buy Spider-Girl at full-price at my LCS, and anything else that grabs my fancy (which - lately - has been precious little).

The stuff I buy in bargain bins is bought because I wouldn't pay full price for it (as it is often to fulfill some vestigal completionist tendencies).

This is a timely post. I went at lunch to my favorite LCS and turned over my Mike Grell want list. He has been given the go ahead to start pulling books for me to purchase from him. He gives me a generous discount....I buys his books. And his stock is always in high grades.

I do love my LCS.

However, it is difficult for an LCS to exist in this day and age. Its just too easy to do your collecting online and I dont believe any LCS will exist for very much longer without accepting that fact.

Point well taken. I spread my money fairly equally between internet (mostly the sell forum on this board) and my LCS. I shop my LCS to support a local business and I buy a lot of issues on sight alone. If I like they way it presents, then out jumps the dollars. My LCS is also my source for TPBs, bags, boards, boxes, etc...

However, I do worry about the future of this hobby. I just don't see kids getting into comics as much and I would think that without comic based movies, the situation would be a lot worse. I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but it seems most of the publicity that comics received is based on traditional superheros from the Gold and Silver ages such as Death of Capt. America (and now back to life?), and the hype of the Spiderman Movies. I just don't see any new heroes generating the interest of the general public. Without comics in convenience stores or Walmart or somewhere other than an LCS, I don't know where interest is generated. Video Gaming maybe?

Good comments though.

I agree with you Dale...I do...but it's not the LCS that's the problem. It's the product being produced by the publishers. It's overpriced and overexposed. Which Spidey issue do I pick up? Part 2 of a storyline? I missed Part 1. The Civil War Epilogue? Didn't read CW nor do I care. Spidey and Transformers? Never liked Tranies in comic form...

Also, I'm sorry but these aren't the characters that I invested years reading anymore. I picked up a new X-Men comic for the first time in years awhile back and didn't know who the hell these characters were or what was going on. And frankly, the issue wasn't all that good. Maybe it's because I hadn't read one in awhile but it was more than that. I didn't care one whit about the characters or the situation they were in. I haven't picked up another issue since. I didn't have this problem when I restarted reading X-Men in the mid-80s or any of the Marvels I picked back up then.

I have alot of respect for LCS owners and know their job is tough. But their job is made tougher when the new comics themselves, and a portion of their income, aren't condusive to impulse buying. I'd love to support them but am not going to throw good money towards a product that doesn't provide some semblance of entertainment for me. Especially considering the cost of new comics today...

Jim

I agree with you Dale...I do...but it's not the LCS that's the problem. It's the product being produced by the publishers. It's overpriced and overexposed. Which Spidey issue do I pick up? Part 2 of a storyline? I missed Part 1. The Civil War Epilogue? Didn't read CW nor do I care. Spidey and Transformers? Never liked Tranies in comic form...

Also, I'm sorry but these aren't the characters that I invested years reading anymore. I picked up a new X-Men comic for the first time in years awhile back and didn't know who the hell these characters were or what was going on. And frankly, the issue wasn't all that good. Maybe it's because I hadn't read one in awhile but it was more than that. I didn't care one whit about the characters or the situation they were in. I haven't picked up another issue since. I didn't have this problem when I restarted reading X-Men in the mid-80s or any of the Marvels I picked back up then.

I have alot of respect for LCS owners and know their job is tough. But their job is made tougher when the new comics themselves, and a portion of their income, aren't condusive to impulse buying. I'd love to support them but am not going to throw good money towards a product that doesn't provide some semblance of entertainment for me. Especially considering the cost of new comics today...

Jim

Well said!

My thoughts too, just didn't want to step on any Modern collector's toes. I've tried reading recent issues of Batman and it just didn't do anything for me. I'm sticking to Bronze age and previous ages of back issues.

I absolutely support my LCS, Mighty KC's in Fallston, Maryland. Great store and great folks working there.

One of the employees helped me with some great advice when I decided to start collecting again. We would talk comics at length and found some common interests.

Hell, this past Saturday, he gave me a very nice copy of Plop #3 since he had it extra, and would not take payment. He said he rather give to someone else who appreciated it than sell it.

I love going by my LCS. I really don't buy moderns at all though since the Civil War mini-series, but it's where I get my bags, boards, and boxes. I'm also probably one of his biggest back issue buyers. Most people have heard of many of the great deals he offers, so I've even helped a number of people here buy books from him. Way I figure, if I can help him find buyers, he'll keep buying more collections to widen the selection of back issues for me to rummage through. Everybody's a winner :grin: He knows what I like and picks up stuff accordingly- how cool is that?

My LCS has been in biz for 10 years (?) and just bought a premium commercial building across the street on a major road, tore it down, and are under construction of a 7000 sq ft building. The current space they lease is 3200 sq ft, and believe it or not, they need the space.

I'm of the opinion that I can do without most moderns as well.

I am using Jim's comments as a springboard because I think his point is a very valid one. The stories involving the characters we loved growing up are not as compelling to us now as they were when we were first being exposed to them. Unfortunately that is the nature of entertainment. It is hard for any entertainment property to hold the public's attention year after year after year. And to expect those of us here on these boards, who are primarily back issue fans, to be excited about the new Spiderman or Hulk or Superman storyline is asking alot.

But as a store owner, it is my and my staff's job to make our customers aware of new and compelling storylines. There are many new comics that are coming out now which are interesting, literate, vital, compelling or whatever adjective you want to use. Just as there are great new movies, video games, television shows etc. The only way to save the LCS is to figure out a viable way to make people aware that there are stories being told in comic format that they might be interested in.

I started out as a Marvel fan, through and through. I read everything Marvel published throughout the seventies. In the mid-eighties three books changed my approach to buying comics. Batman, The Dark Knight Returns showed me that superhero stories could be written that could challenge me as a reader. And Love and Rockets and Eisner's A Contract With God showed me that there were other areas that comics could explore. But each of these books really pointed out to me that what I loved was the medium of comics and not just the characters.

So to anyone on here that says that comics aren't as good as they used to be, I would like to make a couple of suggestions. First, ask yourself if you would actively read a new comic title if it were something new and different, well written, and compelling to you. In other words, do you still love the idea of a good comic? Second, go to your LCS and have them recommend something totally out of your realm to try out. (One thing we do at Bedrock City is offer our customers a full, no questions asked, return on any new graphic novel or trade paperback if they try something new and don't like it.) Ask your LCS if they would let you do the same thing. (If they won,t, give me a PM) Give something new a try and see if you can rekindle your love of reading a new comic.

That is the best way to help your local comic shop, and the medium of comics as a whole.

...So to anyone on here that says that comics aren't as good as they used to be, I would like to make a couple of suggestions. First, ask yourself if you would actively read a new comic title if it were something new and different, well written, and compelling to you. In other words, do you still love the idea of a good comic? Second, go to your LCS and have them recommend something totally out of your realm to try out. (One thing we do at Bedrock City is offer our customers a full, no questions asked, return on any new graphic novel or trade paperback if they try something new and don't like it.) Ask your LCS if they would let you do the same thing. (If they won,t, give me a PM) Give something new a try and see if you can rekindle your love of reading a new comic.

That is the best way to help your local comic shop, and the medium of comics as a whole.

Although it won't put money in your LCS, check your public library for no-risk tryouts of recent graphic novels and collections. I've found lots of funnybooks to enjoy that way, some of which I may end up buying. I may moan about the current state of the mainstream, but there's a lot of great graphic work still being released and old stuff being collected or reprinted.

I'll see Bedrock's Love and Rockets and raise him Fables (and that's DC). Castle Waiting is now, well, waiting on the bedside table.

Jack

personally I have tried everything. I am even burnt out and left cold by Indy stuff lately. The last great indy comic I read was Blankets & I think it is one of the best graphic novels ever written. The problem is for me, I bought too many books I ended up not liking, and at current cover prices, I can't aford to keep doing that. I couldn't even get into Ennis' Wormwood, & i LOVE Ennis. :sorry:

I read a lot of comics from the library. I love it! Even finally tried bone!

Read Owly! Beautifully drawn, and the dialogue-free narrative will draw you in quicker than any text ever has. If you like Bone you should like Owly.

(Another public service message brought to you by Bedrock City!)