• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: So if I were to write the next Superman movie...

147 posts in this topic

- There should be more chemistry between Lois Lane and Clark Kent. I just didn't feel that connection in the first film. Someone a little more mature should be cast as Lois Lane..........Margot Kidder was great.

- Ditch the whole son of Superman angle. I mean seriously, where were they going with that?!

- As mentioned above, Lex Luthor should sit this one out.

- Superman needs to face a villain from beyond our solar system (Brainiac, Doomsday, etc.). I want Superman to be the underdog in an epic final battle that shatters buildings into pieces and topples mountains. Heck, if the Eiffel Tower is to be used as a weapon, then so be it. :)

- Keep the gushy backstory to a minimum. No one wants to see Superman stalk Lois in the middle of the night, and for goodness sake, enough of the flying over Metropolis with Lois in his arms. This movie needs to be geared towards the male viewers first.

- The opening scene should show Superman defeating another semi-tough DC foe (a la the James Bond movies). This should get the audience into the mood right from the start.

Lots of good thoughts here. It sure would help to know up front whether the studio wants to keep continuity with SR and deal with the superkid angle, or just ditch it all-together.

Never saw SR, but how about Brainiac (the original green-skinned one, not the later robotic one) as an alien conqueror, like:

Fleets of UFO's appear in the Earth's skies and begin taking out our defenses. Superman knocks several of them out of the sky but is captured and taken before the leader, Brainiac, who is the sole living being involved: everything else is done by robots and remote-controlled ships. More action, things happen, yada yada yada, then Superman rips off Brainiac's helmet-thingy which has been controlling all the alien craft, and they all suddenly fall dead. Brainiac's last-ditch weapon is a self-destruct mechanism which will take our whole planet with it; Supes flips his ship into the Sun, the end.

Either that, or bring back Lori Lemaris and the Toyman. Huh? Who's with me?!!

Fleets of UFO's appear in the Earth's skies and begin taking out our defenses. Superman knocks several of them out of the sky but is captured and taken before the leader, Brainiac, who is the sole living being involved: everything else is done by robots and remote-controlled ships. More action, things happen, yada yada yada, then Superman rips off Brainiac's helmet-thingy which has been controlling all the alien craft, and they all suddenly fall dead. Brainiac's last-ditch weapon is a self-destruct mechanism which will take our whole planet with it; Supes flips his ship into the Sun, the end.

and the whole time, Jimmy gets lots of good pictures. (:

- There should be more chemistry between Lois Lane and Clark Kent. I just didn't feel that connection in the first film. Someone a little more mature should be cast as Lois Lane..........Margot Kidder was great.

- Ditch the whole son of Superman angle. I mean seriously, where were they going with that?!

- As mentioned above, Lex Luthor should sit this one out.

- Superman needs to face a villain from beyond our solar system (Brainiac, Doomsday, etc.). I want Superman to be the underdog in an epic final battle that shatters buildings into pieces and topples mountains. Heck, if the Eiffel Tower is to be used as a weapon, then so be it. :)

- Keep the gushy backstory to a minimum. No one wants to see Superman stalk Lois in the middle of the night, and for goodness sake, enough of the flying over Metropolis with Lois in his arms. This movie needs to be geared towards the male viewers first.

- The opening scene should show Superman defeating another semi-tough DC foe (a la the James Bond movies). This should get the audience into the mood right from the start.

Excellent ideas. Less flying around with Lois and more action whoopass. Eiffel Tower is to be used as a weapon, now thats the way to do it. (thumbs u

I came up with the idea of the Superkid getting sick and nobody able to cure him, except some weird foreign type doctor who uses a sort of ray-technology which cures the kid, but drains all his powers (a neat way to get rid of the brat)

The doctor somehow harnesses these powers and uses them on himself...something goes wrong and the doc is horribly disfigured, goes into hiding for a few years and comes back, super-powered (a heart made out of Kryptonian rays) and with cyborg-like limbs to replace what he lost in the ray-incident..

Enter Metallo hellbent on destroying Superman (shrug)

Never saw SR, but how about Brainiac (the original green-skinned one, not the later robotic one) as an alien conqueror, like:

I don't mind the idea of an all-out alien attack, but I'd like for it to be for a good reason, beyond simply conquering Earth.

I don't mind the idea of an all-out alien attack, but I'd like for it to be for a good reason, beyond simply conquering Earth.

Well how about something along the lines of ancient powerful mythological beings coming back to re-enslave humanity. For instance, based on Sumerian writings, the planet inhabited by an ancient race called Annunaki passes through our solar system once every 3,600 years, causing catastrophic events on earth (flooding, ice age, changing the planet's rotation, etc.). They were supposed to have created modern man during one of their visits to serve as slaves to mine gold for their planet. Superman would be the only one standing in their way.

I came up with the idea of the Superkid getting sick and nobody able to cure him, except some weird foreign type doctor who uses a sort of ray-technology which cures the kid, but drains all his powers (a neat way to get rid of the brat)

The doctor somehow harnesses these powers and uses them on himself...something goes wrong and the doc is horribly disfigured, goes into hiding for a few years and comes back, super-powered (a heart made out of Kryptonian rays) and with cyborg-like limbs to replace what he lost in the ray-incident..

Enter Metallo hellbent on destroying Superman (shrug)

One of the reasons that I'd like the villain to be alien is that rather than having to establish an origin story, the villain just arrives and we're right in on the action.

I think the majority wants to see Brainiac, and if we are looking for ways to get rid of the Super-Kid,. his DNA could suddenly break down due to the mix of Kryptonian and Mortal DNA and then he becomes Bizarro, which would make it very hard for Supes to fight him knowing that it's actually his own son he's fighting, then somehow (Cadmus or Lex/Brainiac) offer to study the boy (Bizzaro) and help stabilize his DNA or something, all the while getting a good study of Kryptonian DNA to make an army of Supermen or Bizzaros or something like that. just a thought.

I don't know. So he's like a 7-year-old Bizarro?

Make the kid get sick (as dude described; some sort of DNA breakdown). Some doctors step in (flunkies of Brainiac) and try to create their own Superman. The Franken-Supes becomes Bizarro.

So, supes has a foe that can equal him in strength but also has to deal with Brainiac.

All the while, the kid remains in the hospital/lab, so you really don't have to do anything with him, other than the rescue. Or kill him off and we're back to status quo.

It's called Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

I think the majority wants to see Brainiac, and if we are looking for ways to get rid of the Super-Kid,. his DNA could suddenly break down due to the mix of Kryptonian and Mortal DNA and then he becomes Bizarro, which would make it very hard for Supes to fight him knowing that it's actually his own son he's fighting, then somehow (Cadmus or Lex/Brainiac) offer to study the boy (Bizzaro) and help stabilize his DNA or something, all the while getting a good study of Kryptonian DNA to make an army of Supermen or Bizzaros or something like that. just a thought.

I don't know. So he's like a 7-year-old Bizarro?

Make the kid get sick (as dude described; some sort of DNA breakdown). Some doctors step in (flunkies of Brainiac) and try to create their own Superman. The Franken-Supes becomes Bizarro.

So, supes has a foe that can equal him in strength but also has to deal with Brainiac.

All the while, the kid remains in the hospital/lab, so you really don't have to do anything with him, other than the rescue. Or kill him off and we're back to status quo.

It's called Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

Never saw it. :blush:

Well how about something along the lines of ancient powerful mythological beings coming back to re-enslave humanity. For instance, based on Sumerian writings, the planet inhabited by an ancient race called Annunaki passes through our solar system once every 3,600 years, causing catastrophic events on earth (flooding, ice age, changing the planet's rotation, etc.). They were supposed to have created modern man during one of their visits to serve as slaves to mine gold for their planet. Superman would be the only one standing in their way.

Sounds interesting, although enslaving humanity is what Zod was going for in Superman 2.

If I get away from the superkid/bizarro angle, what if Braniac uses Intergang to occupy Supes while he hatches his plan(whatever that is)? Braniac supplies Intergang with alien weaponry, and they make the most of it. hm

If "I" were to write the next chapter in a Superman movie, I believe my first goal would be to minimize the "Human" in Superman....lessesn the Lois Lane factor. Its old hat, the first 3 Superman movies had way to much, the 4th SR movie was full of it. I would want to see a complelling story with non-stop action. The problem I see with Superman is other than Lex, his enemies are hard to relate to the general public. Even Brainiac, or Bizarro would be "campy", I like the alien invasion premise, I would not want to see anything with Kryptonite, there needs to be a fresh take.

I mean what purpose would a villian have? Any villian who can stand toe to toe with the big guy can make or get anything he wants, Alliens sent to find an ancient reliec, and in doing so causes the impending doom of earth would be realistic and interesting, but would lack much of the action needed in such a film. Unless they have there own superman type badarse in which there can be an incredible battle. I don't really have any idea's other than I would want non-stop roller coaster action, I want to see the big guy duke it up and kick arse. I don't want to see him pining for Lois, dealing with a bastistch son, or getting his arse beat in a dinner. I don't want to see Lex, I do want big budget, big action, good plot, and believable villians.

Just my two cents.

paul

First of all, easiest way to bork the Super-kid is just have his human DNA win out and he loses his powers altogether. Supes is conflicted but Lois is relieved when the kid breaks his wrist in a routine playground accident.

The Brainiac thoughts being floated here should give you an idea how popular he would be. Braniac should be the main threat and someone weaker should be a side-threat or part of the plan (as you posed Intergang for example). Brainiac could maybe somehow create the Bizarros but I'm not sure Bizarro anything will play to a non-comicbook crowd. Supes has a pretty weak rogues gallery anyway. Avoid Darkseid or any of that stuff.

An angle on Superman that's always intrigued me was from the Luthor series where Superman is viewed as the greatest threat to Earth. What if he decided not to be nice? An all powerful alien on a planet he can dominate?

Brainiac's motives could be escaping his creator(s)/captor(s) (if you go with an all new origin) but he finds that earth is too tempting a place to just lay low. He'd be at first intrigued by Supes and then annoyed but his ultimate goal could be to enslave Supes to make him some sort of enforcer to protect him as he conquers the Earth...and then...the galaxy! Etc.

What about an Inner world invasion from Atlantis??? They are sick and tired of us poluting the water, and they decide to come out of hiding and eraticate the air breathers and Sups is the only thing standing in the way. They can start the movie with Superman saving a Metropolis from a Tsunami created by the Atlantians. So then the search for the sorce of the trouble and other sea born disasters leads Superman to Atlantis where he battles them to submission and then makes peace. Then takes the leaders top side to show the world of the destructive enviromental practices which leave the Atlantian babies with only one flipper.

And another thing: the biggest flaw with ALL the DC properties is they don't take place in the real world. Metropolis...Gotham City...Central City...I can't find those on a map anywhere. It makes threats to those places less real at a subconscious level. But they ARE in continuity so Supes can't suddenly start protecting New York.

A solution could be to take the action out of those places and make threats more people-specific. Brainiac should wipe out an aircraft carrier as a power demonstration not collapse the Daily Planet building. That sort of thing.