• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who belongs in the SA Artists Survivor Series list?

99 posts in this topic

Kirby, John Buscema,Ditko,Colan,Romita,my top five are on so it`s a good list.

Hey Angelo i found a nice copy of that TTA #33 i`ll post it when it gets here,it`s the lighter version,but i`m still looking for the dark version.

Congrats, Chris :applause: Please do post it. Would love to see it (thumbs u

Could we consider (and probably reject) the following:

Warren Kremer

John Stanley

Pete Morisi

Giordano

Ross Andru

Mort Drucker

Fred Ray (heck, why not if Maneely is listed in the SA when he died in 1958!!)

Russ Heath (please don't forget to include him or Troop's going to come down on your @$$!)

More as they pop up.

Heath is already on the list. Maneely was a guilty pleasure. He deserves to make some kind of list. Don't know Morisi's work (shrug)

You can add Marie Severin to the list.

Yeah, I thought about about adding her name but passed. Kinda like I did with Herb Trimpe & Sal Buscema. Nothing against them, but I didn't want the list to get too long. I asked this question in the GA Survivor thread: Do Adams & Buscema belong on the SA list?

Adams best body of work was bronze, but he did have a late silver age presence.

True, but the style we all know and love his artwork for did not arrive until his BA GL and Batman/Detective runs. The bulk of his SA work was for covers only, and the few stories he did do were fairly rough compared to his later work.

Yeah, I thought about about adding her name but passed. Kinda like I did with Herb Trimpe & Sal Buscema. Nothing against them, but I didn't want the list to get too long. I asked this question in the GA Survivor thread: Do Adams & Buscema belong on the SA list?

True, but the style we all know and love his artwork for did not arrive until his BA GL and Batman/Detective runs. The bulk of his SA work was for covers only, and the few stories he did do were fairly rough compared to his later work.

Which what I thought, but not being the most knowledgeable Adams guy out there I asked for opinions.

Jack Kirby YES - Go ahead and give him the prize now.

Steve Ditko YES

Russ Heath YES

John Severin YES

John Romita Sr YES

Gil Kane YES

Carmine Infantino YES

Curt Swan YES

Jim Steranko YES

Don Heck NO

Joe Kubert YES

Joe Maneely YES

Jerry Grandenetti YES

Mike Sekowsky NO

Wally Wood YES

Bill Everett YES

Frank Frazetta NO

Reed Crandall NO

Alex Toth YES

Gene Colan YES

Jim Aparo BRONZE AGE

Murphy Anderson YES

Neal Adams NO - too little SA work. his rep will place him higher than deserved.

John Buscema YES

Bernie Wrightson NO - See Adams, Neal

Nick Cardy YES

George Tuska NO Tuska? Atomic Age, maybe. but :barf:

Robert Crumb YES

S. Clay Wilson YES

[font:Arial Black]Latest Additions[/font]

Gilbert Shelton YES

Dan DeCarlo YES

Harry Lucey NO - DeCarlo is enough for all eight Archie fans we have here

Carl Barks YES

Joe Sinnott YES

Marie Severin YES

Warren Kremer YES

Giordano NO - come on, are you kidding? Giordano? Pedestrian at best, and outside of the top 30, imho

Ross Andru YES - Vastly underrated.

Mort Drucker WHO CARES

Fred Ray SERIOUSLY?

Barry Windsor-Smith BRONZE AGE

Matt Fox YES

:sumo::sumo:

why you would put Shelton, Kremer, Drucker and Fox in, I dunno. they're all getting booted in rounds one or two, and thus only extend the contest length needlessly

Which what I thought, but not being the most knowledgeable Adams guy out there I asked for opinions.

C'mon....Adams belongs on the list. He did like 10 zillion SA DC covers, and several interiors.

C'mon....Adams belongs on the list. He did like 10 zillion SA DC covers, and several interiors.

he shouldn't be on there for the same reason Wrightson shouldn't be there, nor should Frazetta. people will vote for the entire oeuvre of the artist, rather than his contributions during and only during the Silver Age. is Neal Adams really one of the top five - which is where i see him placing - artists of the Silver Age?

To me his definitely in the top 5. I was 6 and 7 years old when those Neal Adams Superboy and JLA and Detective and Batman covers were on the stands, but they were the books which I picked out. You are really short changing his work.

If Alex Schomburg can be in the top 3 in GA, then Neal Adams belongs at least in the top 3 in SA. Not only that Adams had quite a bit of work in the Silver Age, including X-Men & Strange Adventures.

The list as it should be.....

Jack Kirby

Steve Ditko

Russ Heath

John Romita Sr

Gil Kane

Carmine Infantino

Curt Swan

Jim Steranko

Joe Kubert

Joe Maneely

Jerry Grandenetti

Wally Wood

Bill Everett

Alex Toth

Gene Colan

Murphy Anderson

Neal Adams

John Buscema

Nick Cardy

George Tuska

Jack Kirby YES - Go ahead and give him the prize now.

Steve Ditko YES

Russ Heath YES

John Severin YES

John Romita Sr YES

Gil Kane YES

Carmine Infantino YES

Curt Swan YES

Jim Steranko YES

Don Heck NO

Joe Kubert YES

Joe Maneely YES

Jerry Grandenetti YES

Mike Sekowsky NO

Wally Wood YES

Bill Everett YES

Frank Frazetta NO

Reed Crandall NO

Alex Toth YES

Gene Colan YES

Jim Aparo BRONZE AGE

Murphy Anderson YES

Neal Adams NO - too little SA work. his rep will place him higher than deserved.

John Buscema YES

Bernie Wrightson NO - See Adams, Neal

Nick Cardy YES

George Tuska NO Tuska? Atomic Age, maybe. but :barf:

Robert Crumb YES

S. Clay Wilson YES

[font:Arial Black]Latest Additions[/font]

Gilbert Shelton YES

Dan DeCarlo YES

Harry Lucey NO - DeCarlo is enough for all eight Archie fans we have here

Carl Barks YES

Joe Sinnott YES

Marie Severin YES

Warren Kremer YES

Giordano NO - come on, are you kidding? Giordano? Pedestrian at best, and outside of the top 30, imho

Ross Andru YES - Vastly underrated.

Mort Drucker WHO CARES

Fred Ray SERIOUSLY?

Barry Windsor-Smith BRONZE AGE

Matt Fox YES

:sumo::sumo:

why you would put Shelton, Kremer, Drucker and Fox in, I dunno. they're all getting booted in rounds one or two, and thus only extend the contest length needlessly

Aparo's first work was in '66 with Charlton & BWS first work was in '67 or '68 on DD. So technically they did draw during the SA, albeit late in the SA (like Wrightson, et al).