• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who belongs in the SA Artists Survivor Series list?

99 posts in this topic

That list looks good except one.What did Don Heck do in the silverage?

DENNIS

He drew a poor Avengers run ... By the SA, Heck had completed the best part of his work. He never adapted to the Marvel method and couldn't mimic Kirby as was the order of the day ... I agree that Heck has been a puzzler in the list ...

DENNIS

He drew a poor Avengers run ... By the SA, Heck had completed the best part of his work. He never adapted to the Marvel method and couldn't mimic Kirby as was the order of the day ... I agree that Heck has been a puzzler in the list ...

:frustrated: I'm going to leave him in just to pizz you off, Michael. There are many names that are going to be removed before we start this thing. I just put down names that came to mind.

Here's a list of 20 that may work. Trying to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Jack Kirby

Steve Ditko

Russ Heath

John Severin

John Romita Sr

Gil Kane

Carmine Infantino

Curt Swan

Jim Steranko

Don Heck

Joe Kubert

Wally Wood

Alex Toth

Gene Colan

Jim Aparo

Murphy Anderson

Neal Adams

John Buscema

Bernie Wrightson

Robert Crumb

DENNIS

:gossip: TOS Iron Man

Jack Kirby

Steve Ditko

Russ Heath

John Severin

John Romita Sr

Gil Kane

Carmine Infantino

Curt Swan

Jim Steranko

Don Heck

Joe Kubert

Wally Wood

Alex Toth

Gene Colan

Jim Aparo

Murphy Anderson

Neal Adams

John Buscema

Bernie Wrightson

Robert Crumb

DENNIS

A lot of Marvel comics: Iron Man, Avengers, some Thor's.

DENNIS

:frustrated: I'm going to leave him in just to pizz you off, Michael. There are many names that are going to be removed before we start this thing. I just put down names that came to mind.

Nobody ever said you'd have an easy job running these contests. Keep him in and you'll make it easy for me to vote the first round. (thumbs u

I'd try hard to narrow that list down. I think we might be losing people because the list is too large. I'll chime in a bit on who I would take out.

Personally, I like the initial list to be broad so that everybody has a chance. Give people some time to post samples of their favorites before voting starts. If people are in a hurry (and what's the rush -- is there a deadline?), eliminate large blocks, even four or five, in the early rounds.

I hope I'm replying to a current version (it's changing fast!). The only names that jump out as missing at this point are Bob Oksner (lots of SA work in several genres), Ogden Whitney (Herbie alone qualifies him, but he did plenty of SA work -- 755 GCD records, majority after 1956), and Kurt Schaffenberger (how long was his quintessential Lois Lane run? He had a huge body of work, with 1640 records at GCD!).

Add 'em in! So what if it takes an extra elimination round?

Jack

DENNIS

Nobody ever said you'd have an easy job running these contests. Keep him in and you'll make it easy for me to vote the first round. (thumbs u

He's in the same reason Fred Ray and Giordano are in...just 'cause. Many of the names will be purged to trim the list. Can't wait to give some of these guys the axe (cue evil laughter)

I left Don Heck in (even though I think he's not very good) because of the Iron Man run, plus a bit of X-Men if memory serves.

As for a longer list, I think it should be "recognizable" names. Sure it's no big deal to go longer but I think people lose interest. It is nice to see the more obscure work but it's hard enough to draw a "line" as to where the cut-off is. I can only site myself as an example, but the Golden Age Series had too many names I knew nothing about and I quickly lost interest. While it was nice to see the work and I thought that was a great aspect of the threads, it also bogged them down a bit at times. And I thought, as we get to the later Ages, do we really need to consider someone who's work doesn't come to mind by name alone?

I'd try hard to narrow that list down. I think we might be losing people because the list is too large. I'll chime in a bit on who I would take out.

Personally, I like the initial list to be broad so that everybody has a chance. Give people some time to post samples of their favorites before voting starts. If people are in a hurry (and what's the rush -- is there a deadline?), eliminate large blocks, even four or five, in the early rounds.

I hope I'm replying to a current version (it's changing fast!). The only names that jump out as missing at this point are Bob Oksner (lots of SA work in several genres), Ogden Whitney (Herbie alone qualifies him, but he did plenty of SA work -- 755 GCD records, majority after 1956), and Kurt Schaffenberger (how long was his quintessential Lois Lane run? He had a huge body of work, with 1640 records at GCD!).

Add 'em in! So what if it takes an extra elimination round?

Jack

That would be a good idea.Put a ton of people in and elimate 5-10 in the first round and maybe second.

Dennis

ps Angelo I know this isnt easy and you have done a great job.

D

I would side with the more is better crowd, and knock out 3-5 in the early rounds. I don't see people losing interest. I also prefer more time to see samples, and since this is the SA, I'll actually be able to contribute some this time!

I do think we need to eliminate some BA names. Wrightson did his first work in spring of 1969. There's no way he should be on a SA list. Same with Barry Smith, who for all intents and purposes started with Conan in 1970. Aparo should also go...he didn't make a ripple until he started with DC in the BA. And I think Buscema is in the same category.

I think Russ Manning needs to be on the list. He did some awesome work for Gold Key, especially Magnus Robot Fighter.

I'd also add Ruben Moriera and Mort Meskin...better DC artists than Sekowsky and Cardy, imo.

Can we put a definite time period on this contest? 1954 - 1968? 1970? What exactly are we talking about? That my help figuring out who should be included.

I always consider the BA to start when Kirby started at DC in 1970.

That is funny. I always considered 15 centers to be the last Silver Age books. Both Marvel and DC made a transition price between these books of 25 cents for 52 pages of comics. I think it happened across the board on titles (AS #102, Conan #10, Superman #241, etc). 20 centers just have a completely different feel to the books.

Jack Kirby

Steve Ditko

Russ Heath

John Severin

John Romita Sr

Gil Kane

Carmine Infantino

Curt Swan

Jim Steranko

Don Heck

Joe Kubert

Wally Wood

Alex Toth

Gene Colan

Jim Aparo

Murphy Anderson

Neal Adams

John Buscema

Bernie Wrightson

Robert Crumb

DENNIS

:gossip: TOS Iron Man

I don't think Crumb belongs on the list. It is not fair to the other people on the list and it is not fair to him. Undergrounds were practically a completely different medium, and most comic book people were never exposed to Crumb when the books came out, and therefore will have no nostalgia for the man or his work.

If you want to do an alternative or underground list, that is where he belongs.

I think Russ Manning needs to be on the list. He did some awesome work for Gold Key, especially Magnus Robot Fighter.

I'd also add Ruben Moriera and Mort Meskin...better DC artists than Sekowsky and Cardy, imo.

Another yes for Manning. The suggestion almost makes me want to add Bob Fujitani (for Dr Solar) but that might be going too far -- his heyday was really Golden Age. Frank Bolle's Dr Solar work isn't strong enought to nominate him.

Ruben Moriera and Mort Meskin are very good, but even as patron saint of "inclusive", I'd say that their better work was pre-Silver. Sekowsky and Cardy are quintessential Silver Age. In fact, I bet Cardy will survive pretty long.

(Where was Dan Barry on the GA contest?)

Jack

I don't think Crumb belongs on the list. It is not fair to the other people on the list and it is not fair to him. Undergrounds were practically a completely different medium, and most comic book people were never exposed to Crumb when the books came out, and therefore will have no nostalgia for the man or his work.

If you want to do an alternative or underground list, that is where he belongs.

I disagree.

There won't be an underground "contest" for lack of familiarity and interest. Give the best a shot here. I was WAY more exposed to Crumb's work at the time it came out than I was to any Bronze Age mainstream artist. I have much more nostalgia for him than, say, Barry Smith. (Maybe that means I'm not a "comic book people." *SOB*)

I'll be promoting Crumb to the bitter end. The only problem is that we can't post a range of his art samples here.

Jack