• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could there ever be another iconic character like Superman, Batman, Spidey, etc

10 posts in this topic

I know this has probably been discussed before. But, through a chain of thoughts sparked by Anfield's thread about modern comics and some other recent threads, I wondered if we will ever see a comic book superhero reach the kind of iconic status that Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and a few others have? Sadly, I think the answer is no, but I was curious to see what other board members might have to say.

Well, we'll have to see what characters have managed to survive in the next couple generations as these have. As you even showed- Spidey was a creature some 25 years younger than Supes and Batman. I don't know if there will be any quite so pervasive, but hard to say from here. :)

Well. from the super-hero world I think Wolverine has come as close any anyone else ever will. Reaching that kind of status is reliant upon having the character branching out into multiple forms of media....tv shows, cartoons, movies, video games. cards. etc.

Most folks under 40 have at least heard of him and know him as a comic book character. At least I think so. But I can't see anyone else coming along and reaching those heights. It must all start with a popular comic book and comics just aren't popular these days.

One can argue TMNT...but their appearances in comics had little to do with what came after IMO.

Spawn was almost there, but the movie wound up being a bit amateurish.

That late night cartoon on cable was pretty intense though!

Heck, Wolverine is pretty iconic and he's a new kid on the block.

Maybe when Hellboy XIII comes out he'll be iconic.

Blade has gotten what, like 7 movies?

I think video games have taken over the pop culture medium. In a way, they are comic related: Mario, Pokemon, Sonic and Master Chief just to name a few, are the new recognizable icons of our time. Even parents and grandparents know them.

I know this has probably been discussed before. But, through a chain of thoughts sparked by Anfield's thread about modern comics and some other recent threads, I wondered if we will ever see a comic book superhero reach the kind of iconic status that Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and a few others have? Sadly, I think the answer is no, but I was curious to see what other board members might have to say.

Homer Simpson.