• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about grading and values

5 posts in this topic

All,

Forgive me if I'm just out of touch on this, but a couple of auctions I was watching with some interest have really baffled me of late:

Amazing Spider-man 256, CGC 9.8

Amazing Spider-man 257, CGC 9.8

These books are hardly what I would call "key" issues. They're like "semi-keys" based on the first appearance of a tertiary character, the Puma. They're also somewhat key to me from a nostalgia perspective as they were amongst the first ASM books I bought and read. But the reality is that NM value for these books is at most, $10.

When I saw the auctions, I was interested because I figured if I could get the books for about $30, it would be a pretty good deal. I could understand that price point or maybe even a little bit more given the guaranteed condition and the costs of grading and slabbing the book.

But both auctions have jumped up to the the high forties and knowing what I know about EBay, I figure they will end around $60. Which begs the question; are "Copper Age" books at a grade level for which there are 52 and 28 registered specimens respectively really worth that much?

Forgive me if I'm asking these questions in the wrong place. I'm not even sure these books are Copper Age but I'm assuming they are.

How much does it cost to get Copper Age books graded and slabbed anyway?

What is the value multiplier of the (Overstreet) book value of a given book for the grading?

How much does value go up (from NM) for a NM/M book?

$16/book or $15/book if grading 10 or more.

What is the value multiplier of the (Overstreet) book value of a given book for the grading?

Depends on how many people are bidding, how bad the bidders want it and how deep the pockets are.

Again, depends on who wants the book.

As for your ASM examples, the last 9.8 256 sold for $121.26 and the last 9.8 257 sold for $92.00.

All,

Forgive me if I'm just out of touch on this, but a couple of auctions I was watching with some interest have really baffled me of late:

Amazing Spider-man 256, CGC 9.8

Amazing Spider-man 257, CGC 9.8

These books are hardly what I would call "key" issues. They're like "semi-keys" based on the first appearance of a tertiary character, the Puma. They're also somewhat key to me from a nostalgia perspective as they were amongst the first ASM books I bought and read. But the reality is that NM value for these books is at most, $10.

When I saw the auctions, I was interested because I figured if I could get the books for about $30, it would be a pretty good deal. I could understand that price point or maybe even a little bit more given the guaranteed condition and the costs of grading and slabbing the book.

But both auctions have jumped up to the the high forties and knowing what I know about EBay, I figure they will end around $60. Which begs the question; are "Copper Age" books at a grade level for which there are 52 and 28 registered specimens respectively really worth that much?

Forgive me if I'm asking these questions in the wrong place. I'm not even sure these books are Copper Age but I'm assuming they are.

The book in question is almost irrelevant here. What's being purchased is a 9.8 label. Excluding moderns, they will always go for insane money. I've tried to understand it but I can't.

There are enough people who collect ASM whose personal 'golden ages' occurred among the issues in the 200s that the prices of 9.8s stay high despite what seems to be an adequate supply.

DD 181 is the same - lots of 9.8s but still sells in the 80-100 dollar range.

Agree with the others. For copper books, ASM is THE $$$ title in 9.8 (although Miracleman would go for more than ASM, just not as big a following, and tough to pull 9.8's). Watchmen's have been going for some good money too, but that's b/c it too is real difficult to pull a 9.8 on that book.

I'd guess these will hit the $100 mark when all is said and done.