• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: FINAL ROUND

GA ARTISTS POLL  

288 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

115 posts in this topic

Famous Funnies #210 - 216 might be the best run of consecutive covers ever in comics. If someone has big scans of all of those, you should post them.

Also, if someone has the Personal Love issue with the Frazetta story, you should post that. I have not had it in a long time, but I remember it being great.

You're really trying to sway the vote.................g'luck with that.

and yes, I love all those Frazetta covers too, his classic best comics cover work.

Eisner's still earned the spot IMO.

Frazetta's only solo story from EC

Great stuff, and it's a shame he didn't do a couple more, as his style fitted perfectly with E.C. As everyone probably knows, that's Frank basically drawing himself in that tale...guy could've been a pro ball player apparently.

I love Frazetta's comic work, but Eisner wins due to not only a high level of draftsmanship, but his unparalleled innovations in storytelling. Eisner was so beyond his time... NO ONE was telling stories like he was. It took about 10-20 years until guys like Toth, Krigstein and Steranko were innovating at anywhere near his level.

I was kind of shocked to see Eisner a couple of points back when I suddenly said to myself "Why the heck do I care, it's just an unscientiffic poll and Lucey or Montana, Camy and Meskin, Cooper and Fuji and Most of favorite MLJ artist weren't even on it." In fact the one artist who was on it, (K)Carl Barks got eliminated a while back. In my mind, Eisner may have contributed more than Fraz, but I think that Fraz drew larger breast than Eisner and that may be what this is all about.... T and A.

I love Frazetta's comic work, but Eisner wins due to not only a high level of draftsmanship, but his unparalleled innovations in storytelling. Eisner was so beyond his time... NO ONE was telling stories like he was. It took about 10-20 years until guys like Toth, Krigstein and Steranko were innovating at anywhere near his level.

But this poll is best artist, not best story teller. If that were the case Stan Lee would win! :insane:

West

I will have to say that storytelling is a big part of comic art. Part of the problem with alot of the artists today is that there is no flow from one panel to the next, which is probably why modern comics are one big splash after another.......

I don't see that Eisner was that much better at it than Frazetta though.

The only difference between them is: One of those guys actually helped build the path.

I voted Frazetta.

But this isn't a "Most Important Artist" poll. :gossip:

You're right. If this were a "Most Important Artist" poll, Carl Barks would still be in it, and we'd be throwing around names like Herge and Masamune Shirow.

Here (as our friends across the pond would say) is the sticky wicket : What is an artist?

Eisner is an exceptional draftsman. Exceptional. Frazetta is the superior draftsman, but Eisner is no slouch. ( I know you're not implying: Eisner is a slouch. I'm just using that for emphasis.) IMO drafting ability is only one small ingredient in the "What makes Art?" recipe. I believe that Eisner is superior to Frazetta in his composition, his use of atmoshpere, and the emotional content of his work.

But, that's just me. As Sal so aptly put it: YMMV.