• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Price Guide yearly reported sales section.

17 posts in this topic

Every year in the Overstreet Price Guide, I love looking through the section that shows reported sales for the past year.

I can remember in the 80s and 90s looking through that section and wondering who bought this book or that book and thinking it would be cool to have bought a book and then see it listed in the sales section.

so has anyone here had a book they either bought or sold, that showed up in the Overstreet listings that year ?

if so, which OS is it listed in ?

It might not be that one, but should definitely be in the 2001-2004 range. The two books I'm sure of were the Larson copy of Pep 7 (CGC 8.0) and Pogo 1 (CGC 9.2). There may be another one or two. I'll check when I have time...

I sold the 1st reported public sale of Marvel Mystery b/w annual via Pacific Comics Exchange. Robert Roter complained bitterly to me about asking such a high multiple of condition guide on it. Roter did not complain when he was "retailing" his pedigree SA DC find later via his site. :sumo:

Hey Dude-

The 2005 OPG should have a CGC 3.0 Marvel Mystery Comics #9 listed that sold for $5,000..that was my copy that I sold on C-link in Nov. 04...wish I hadn't but I felt the PQ was going down....Who has it now? Just curious...

PT

emails to Mark Huesman, long time pricing coordinator listed in OPG, helps guide the final arbiter as he compiles the data for Bob Overstreet to review

- and it is Bob O who picks the final data which appears each year.

Make your presence known over time with corrective data, and they will listen, is what i have discovered. Any Guide is only as good as the collective whole who input data. Any one can join if shown to posess knowledge and wisdom in this field.

For eleven years now they have liked what i have compiled for them as we push, er, um, educate, a sometimes stubborn collecting community to recognize fully the existence of a comic strip book industry in America which stretches back 165 years. Many of us are driven by the innards of the beast, not just shiney covers and how much it sold for.

Being the seller who was the first to reach the Two Grand Barrier back in the early summer of 1973 with the Tom Reilly copy of the first Whiz Comics, then a couple weeks later, the first one to break that $2K ceiling when the same buyer bought the Reilly Detective 27 leading to world wide UPI/AP newspaper wire stories all over the country, i view parts of the Market Report with a grain of salt or two on some of what i read there.Some times it seems like parts of reports are personal agenda-driven based on what is in inventory. But that is just my take from having been a part of this hobby for over 40 years now.

Not so long ago i bought a run of Smash 18-85 and Star Spangled 1-100. There were MRs in the OPG saying at the time how dead both titles were. Twasn't too long after that i said to myself, "Gee, they are almost all gone - i have maybe four SS books left and the Smash issues have been bye-bye for years now." Some dealers thought i was daft for investing to these two titles at the time telling me how slow they were.

There were also over a dozen Church Smashes and a couple Reilly Star Spangleds. But what i saw was all that Simon & Kirby, the Robin and Tomahawk appearance which are always quick sells, plus all the Jack Cole Midnight for most issues and really cool Reed Crandall and Lou Fine in the earlier part of the run.

If i had listened to what i read the the MRs of the day, i would have heeded such advice and not acquired these great comic books.

One of the OS mentions the 1st PGX comic sold on ebay. That was my Electra #1.

Some of the early OS mention books that I have found that were not known.

Got acknowledgements several times over the years.

But never sold or bought any big priced books. Just the one time mention of the PGX book. Most of what I have is store bought off the rack. Haven't sold much. Haven't bought any big price books.

Robert,

Speaking of Overstreet and data, maybe you could shed some light on whether there are any plans afoot to provide the ability to import their data. How do dealers update their price lists each Spring when the new Guide comes out? Manually like collectors have to? For tens of thousands of books? I don't get it. The data is available, I can't understand why Geppi doesn't make a buck or ten off making it available easily.