• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Neal Adams' books are a better investment - DC or Marvel?

59 posts in this topic

Seeing how well the recent run of Eide's CGC'd DC books with Adams' covers did on eBay (check out the discussion at: http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=247068&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) made me wonder which Neal Adams' books, Marvel (X-Men, Avengers, etc.) or DC (GL, Batman, Detective, etc.), are the better long term investment. IMHO, it is the DC GL and Batman/Detective runs as they established him as a creative force in the comics world and early Bronze DCs are tough to find in high grade (especially in 9.6 or better). What do you think?

DC N Adams Bat/Detect. Great covers, early bronze & Ra's Al Ghul cover/stories in time for Bat movie hype. Underrated are the N Adams $1 cover priced DC comics. These were printed taller than regular comics so suffer from top fringe damage. Sample:

dcspcl1.jpg

I'd say DC Adams are harder to find. Try and find a NM 9.4 GL/GA 76... very, very tough. The others 70s Adams DCs are very tough to find as well. Although Avengers 93 is tough find in high grade, the body of the Adams Marvel work isn't as well known or as sought after as the Batman and other DC work.

I collect both Adams' DCs and Marvels...I just think Adams' DC work is better known and he truly did some beautiful covers in the 60s and 70s....

Books that may explode in the future? His Superboy covers...They're just great pieces of art...

His Bats, GL/GA's, Superman, and Brave and Bolds everyone knows about...

Here's a cool Adams cover I don't see mentioned much...

267624-jla.jpg

Far and away one of my favourite Adams covers and waaaaaay underated. Also one of my favourite BA JLA storylines. Don't know why-just nostalgia.

And Minutekeve is so right about the Superboy covers. Some of his best and part of what makes Adams more associated with DC than with Marvel and, correspondingly, makes his DC books more desirable ( in my mind). People forget the sheer quantity of covers and interior work he did for DC and only remember the classics, while so many other great issues are forgotten.