• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

finally saw Spidey 3

50 posts in this topic

I enjoyed Spider-Man 3, indeed, as many, I hated the whole "emo" parker, but I otherwised loved it, and plan to buy it on the 30th on Blu-Ray disc.

lol damn emo spider-man

I've heard the word emo used with this movie so many times, I just end up using it too, course, I quoted emo, if parker was truly emo, I am sure he would do other things then just look the way he did.

So I was in Central Park with my girl and this meteor from space fell near me and released some black goop that turned out to be a symbiote. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm Spider-Man. Then it turns out that the guy who may have murdered my Uncle Ben has been turned into living sand. And my best pal whose dad was my worst enemy turns villainous then hits his head and becomes a goofy dork then steals my girl then I become a colossal jerk to everyone in my life...

While I thought Spider-Man 3 had some interesting moments, overall it's a terrible film. Shoehorning in Venom's story ruined the film IMO. I thought Mary Jane was petulant and whiny, and her singing problems storyline was all Dunst's vanity. The proposal scene was priceless because of Bruce Campbell's amazing performance. Sandman's story was bittersweet and therefore completely out of place. The Osborn amnesia storyline was just silly, and his storyarc makes me glad to see the character probably won't return if there is a fourth film, which is too bad because he was good in the first two. The emo Parker affected by the symbiote was amusing, but got over the top. Gwen Stacey was eye candy, and is treated as such, which is a shame. The outing of Eddie Brock's cheat was handled well, but the subsequent "we're bad guys, let's team up and beat up Spidey" finale was god-awful and almost as bad as the Power Rangers aspects of the first film.

Overall I would say there's about 1/3 of a film in there worth seeing.

So I was in Central Park with my girl and this meteor from space fell near me and released some black goop that turned out to be a symbiote. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm Spider-Man. Then it turns out that the guy who may have murdered my Uncle Ben has been turned into living sand. And my best pal whose dad was my worst enemy turns villainous then hits his head and becomes a goofy dork then steals my girl then I become a colossal jerk to everyone in my life...

While I thought Spider-Man 3 had some interesting moments, overall it's a terrible film. Shoehorning in Venom's story ruined the film IMO. I thought Mary Jane was petulant and whiny, and her singing problems storyline was all Dunst's vanity. The proposal scene was priceless because of Bruce Campbell's amazing performance. Sandman's story was bittersweet and therefore completely out of place. The Osborn amnesia storyline was just silly, and his storyarc makes me glad to see the character probably won't return if there is a fourth film, which is too bad because he was good in the first two. The emo Parker affected by the symbiote was amusing, but got over the top. Gwen Stacey was eye candy, and is treated as such, which is a shame. The outing of Eddie Brock's cheat was handled well, but the subsequent "we're bad guys, let's team up and beat up Spidey" finale was god-awful and almost as bad as the Power Rangers aspects of the first film.

Overall I would say there's about 1/3 of a film in there worth seeing.

well, it was all of that. However, The film was "Spidey 3" and Ive been reading comics for over 40 years now, and I wasnt expecting a classic work of originality. Just not an embarrassing waste of 3 hours. So I can settle for starting to surf the web in the drawn out second half. The Team-Up was just stupid, agreed. The Peter dancing in the street was too. etc etc

but compared to the FFs and DD and Hulk, Im just willing to say it wasnt a disaster, and I enjoy Spidey films so far more than the rest of the superhero stuff weve been getting.

I said half, you say 1/3rd. so we quibble on a sixth! Not too far apart.

No where near as good as the 1st two movies. I don't know why they decided to got the Batman route and have 12 villains in the movie. Obviously it is to sell more toys, but it makes the movie .

X-Men 3 was bad too.

FF 2 was fantastic though. Really well done.

Superhero comics rarely adapt well to film, so I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to what I will put up with in one of these films. As long as they get the spirit of it right then I'm okay... but by the time you get to the third film in a series you have two things that you need to do, you have to maintain some kind of integrity to the source material and you need to be consistant to what went on before (I use Highlander and Highlander II as examples of how to be completely inconsistant with what went on before). Oh yeah, three things... you don't screw up the internal contuity of a film and make it unwatchable.

Spider-Man 3 is problematic because they did stay relatively faithful to the source material, but it seems like they went in some goofy directions with this film that undermines the direction that the first two films had us going in. Shoehorning Venom meant creating an effective backstory for the symbiote. They didn't. Making Sandman Uncle Ben's potential killer violates what we saw in the first movie and makes his origin less poignant. Plus, the Peter Parker just can't keep his mask on in this movie! Other things just violate logic. Harry creates a mask that protects his face, but when he goes into battle with a giant sand monster with all sorts of debris flying around he exposes his face so that we can see the actor's face. Those types of things bothered me.

X-Men 3 is a problematic film because it defies all three rules... it violates source material, it's inconsistant with the first two films and it has some of the worst internal logic I've seen in one of these films in that nothing that happened mattered and can all be undone in about 10 minutes of the next film. Plus, how does Wolverine go from Westchester NY to forests near San Francisco in a couple of minutes on a motorcycle? And back in an equal amount of time.

Fantastic Four was goofy and had it's own problems, but I found Fantastic Four 2 to be a lot better because it did remain relatively consistant with the source material, was very consistant with the world established in the first film and it didn't violate any internal continuity. Sure, I'm disappointed we don't see Galactus outside of an outline in fire, but it didn't bother me that much.

Hulk was just boring. The Punisher was only slightly better. Daredevil came across like a bunch of rock videos, but the director's cut was an improvement and brought it out of the sucks to the okay books for me.

I like Constantine, even with the liberties taken. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is not Alan Moore's League but it's still watchable at times. Batman Begins was excellent and Superman Returns had some great moments but fell short because of all of it's Donner-worshipping.

My biggest problem with the X-Men #3 was that the dialogue was horrible and didn't match the characters.

I don't get the Peter Travolta thing in the middle of Spider-man 3. It was just ridiculous. I don't mind the Sandman tie into the origin. Wasn't great, but not that huge of a stretch.

Batman Begins was an excellent comic movie. So was Spider-man and Spiderman 2. I can't believe how excellent Spidey looked swinging through the city. Just like in the classic books. FF was campy, and Dr Doom is a wus. FF2 was much better, and Jessica Alba while gorgeous is a terrible actree. Hopefully Reese will be better. Seems like to me they could still do better though.

I like Constantine, but it is horror movie, not really a comic movie. Superman Returns is like a rerun in Hi Def of Superman and Superman 2. It was pretty lame. I thought Singer would have a pair, but they shrunk up under WBs influence.

Maybe I'm getting old, but the action is Spider-man 3 seemed to move to fast for me...

It was impossible to really "follow" some of the more intense battle scenes...maybe they speed up the CGI so little errors aren't that obvious (shrug)

Maybe I'm getting old, but the action is Spider-man 3 seemed to move to fast for me...

It was impossible to really "follow" some of the more intense battle scenes...maybe they speed up the CGI so little errors aren't that obvious (shrug)

but the movie DID entertain did it not???

for me it did.

CAL :grin:

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart or any of the stores will be having an exclusive comic with the DVD?
As far as I know, no store is doing anything special for the release.

That's a shame. There was a ASM 252 and 300 from Wal-Mart last time :(

Thanks (thumbs u