• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just looked at Heritage's upcoming items and ...

25 posts in this topic

I was a little disappointed. The offering is weak on the golden-age material. Don't get me wrong, they have some key stuff,

Marvel Comics #1, Larson

Detective #31

Detective #38 x2

Green Lantern #1

All Flash #1

Human Torch #1

Sensation #1

Early Actions

But a lot is restored and the depth is definitely less than normal. I am wondering if CLINK is hurting the comic side of their business.

I am high bidder on the larson marvel 1 (not for too much longer, I suspect)...but, I agree about the "weak" offerings this go around for GA collectors....

rick

I'm quite happy with some of the offerings because they'll fill needs in my collection. It seems like every auction they have a few items I want and I get one or two. While there's nothing outrageous in the upcoming auction, aside from maybe the books mentioned, it's still a decent load.

I'm going after the Action #30. Beautiful mid-grade copy.

As for CL, they certainly can't be helping Heritage's business.

jedi mind trick....

you do not want to buy an Action 30 mid grade...you want to hold out 10-15 years for a higher grade copy from Alaska......

jedi mind trick....

you do not want to buy an Action 30 mid grade...you want to hold out 10-15 years for a higher grade copy from Alaska......

On the contrary. I buy the mid-grade to fill the hole in my collection until the high grade copy from Alaska becomes available. (worship)

Geez guys, there is just so much of the market inventory to go around!!! Frankly I view it as a positive step that for once there is not a tremendous amount of quality material continually circulating from one seller to the next. Perhaps finally some collectors are back in the hobby rather than speculators!

And while I won't comment on CL per se (g-d fobid we say anything negative) since I will only be attacked (and let's see if anyone jumps even on that comment as unnecessary, hm ), it is only healthy for the market to have strong competition. More power to all of them to run fair, independent and ethical auctions. And I seriously doubt Heritage is concerned. They are doing incredibly well.

true...I guess we have gotten "spoiled" that Geppi or whomever has always pulled some "quality in quantity" out to make the auction...this one is very pedestrian to me, and I tend to think Comic Link is capturing more and more of the auction Quality market...

just my observation from the past 2 years...who knows, maybe next heritage in Jan will have a tec 27, action 1, etc, etc

rick

Geez guys, there is just so much of the market inventory to go around!!! Frankly I view it as a positive step that for once there is not a tremendous amount of quality material continually circulating from one seller to the next. Perhaps finally some collectors are back in the hobby rather than speculators!

I wholeheartedily concur with this statement. When I began seriously pursuing GA last year (at about this time), there was certainly more good stuff available then I had funds with which to purchase. The Comiclink Fall Auction had a fantastic offering of GA, as did the November Heritage auction, and it was hard to narrow down what books I wanted to go after.

A year later, the pickings are a lot slimmer, the prices are a lot stronger, and I'm finding more competition for the material I want.

Since I'm planning on holding most of my GA purchases for at least 5-10 years, you can rest assured my books won't be making it back into circulation anytime soon. If there are more folks like me entering the GA market, then I can imagine prices getting more aggressive with each passing year.

true...I guess we have gotten "spoiled" that Geppi or whomever has always pulled some "quality in quantity" out to make the auction...this one is very pedestrian to me, and I tend to think Comic Link is capturing more and more of the auction Quality market...

just my observation from the past 2 years...who knows, maybe next heritage in Jan will have a tec 27, action 1, etc, etc

rick

relatively weak perhaps, but i see plenty I'll want; the only thing that may be pedestrian is me, since soon, thanks to these damn auctions, i'll not be able to afford a mechanized conveyance.

rick

relatively weak perhaps, but i see plenty I'll want; the only thing that may be pedestrian is me, since soon, thanks to these damn auctions, i'll not be able to afford a mechanized conveyance.

I have my eye on a few items, but I was hoping for some "big" guns to distract folks from my little pickings...

gator

But we should remember that comics is just one portion of their business, they have many other forms of collectibles. I also assume that their business goes through periods of highs and lows.

The original art is a little weak as well. There is the cover to Mr Natural, but not a real wide offering. I think the CLINK auction was a little weak on the artwork side of things as well. I have also been a little disappointed in the Mastro offering (although after reading the book "The Card" not sure how excited I am about dealing with them). Hakes has also been a little weak. It may be too much competition from all the auction sites. I know when I won a Heritage item off Ebay, they emailed me saying they hoped I got the book and liked it and to please consider them if I ever decide to sell.

I agree with Mark. It's good for the market not to always have an abundance of high quality material available at any given time. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Also, there is nothing worse for a book than being "sold" and "resold" in three consecutive Signature auctions. Maybe most of the high quality stuff has finally assimilated into collections, rather than simply being bounced from one dealer to another.

As far as Clink's competitive impact, I hope that it causes Heritage to rethink its ridiculously high buyer/seller fees.