• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comic Addict's Confessional Room

361 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! Comic collecting, like anything else, can be an addictive and expensive hobby, especially when coupled with that narcotic known as eBay :sick:. I decided to start a thread so people could share their stories of over the top things they may have done to buy comics, to an audience of people who can relate. A sort of "Comic Addicts Anonymous" if you will. Does buying slabs give you an endorphin rush? Does your seratonin levels elevate over Raw SA's?

No stories of prostitution please.

Hello all! My name is Thomas and I'm a Comic Book Addict. The last comic I bought was this morning.

I used to collect comics as a child from the age of 8 until I was 14, when my stepfather threw away all 7,000 plus of them. That took me completely out of the hobby.

Now fast forward to September 2006. I am in the Army and stationed in Germany. I have a nice girlfriend and everything is going well in my life. I was looking on eBay for a Spider-man DVD for my youngest son when I noticed the word "comic books" under one of the search areas. Comic books? hm hm hm hm Well, I hadn't collected comics in 24+ years and was interested at just looking at what was out there. Bad move. Next thing I know I'm browsing through all the comic auctions, bidding with reckless abandon on several. It was like a dormant switch had gotten flipped on. I was helpless. I won eleven auctions that first night. When the books arrived, I was so enamored with them, I decided I would "just look" at a couple of other auctions. Handling the books and smelling that "comic smell" had rekindled the love of the hobby that had so long lay dormant. I started looking up comics for sale on the web and found several sites: Metro, Pedigree, ComicSupply, CL and Heritage. I was now hooked! I saw that a bunch of books on the 'Bay were called CGC graded? Not knowing what the heck that was I decided to do a bit of research. I visited the CGC website and read about the grading process, etc. I was intrigued. Then I noticed the phrase "chat boards" on the site. I clicked on it and started reading the posts. WOW! There are so many people on this site I can halfway relate to! People who understand! I started visiting the site everyday. Not joining, just observing and learning. Not joining because I wasn't sure if I would be accepted. I was already catching it from my girlfriend over my "newfound hobby"! It was getting on her nerves. She thought they were too expensive, and that the army didn't pay me enough to support such a habit. My argument to her was that at least it wasn't drugs or lap dances I was spending my money on :shrug:

Anyways, after a couple of months I finally decided to join the Forums. I placed a couple of posts and had gained some measure of acceptance. Meanwhile, my girlfriend started complaining I was spending too much on comics. "What do you mean?" I replied. There's food on the table, all the bills are paid, you get your hair done on the regfular, and we still have some money left over. What's the problem???? So the fussing continued. I resorted to sneaking and buying books. I had a separate APO box created for me at the mailroom for my arriving comics just so she wouldn't find out. I was buying books from every site I could. I would lie, saying I was putting something on layaway, just so I would avoid the conflict and hassle of an argument. Lying, sneaking...yeah, the hobby had consumed me!

After getting burned on eBay a couple of times too many, I decided to not buy anything off eBay anymore. I shared my bad experiences on the boards, and LO! They directed me to the FS threads!!!! :whatthe:(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

Well, after all the sneaking and buying books on the sly, I was finally found out. The ensuing confrontation was of epic proportions. I almost lost the woman that I loved! We actually DID break up for awhile, right before I came back to the States. Luckily for me, we stayed in contact with each other. We worked everything out after I was here a couple of months. We got married this past July.

I still sneak and buy books. I have to. They call me. Slabbed or raw, it's an irresistable siren song. I'm a comic book addict. Watch for my :takeit:

Thomas

Now, you telling me you married that "spirited" young lady that came on the boards a while back? Same one?

Good for you!

And her!

:golfclap:

Thanks Brad! :thumbsup: :insane:

I felt for you at the time, but I also recognized a woman with "moxie". And she did come back on and apologize. That takes class.

Send her my compliments! (thumbs u

I felt for you at the time, but I also recognized a woman with "moxie". And she did come back on and apologize. That takes class.

Send her my compliments! (thumbs u

Thanks Brad! I sure will! :foryou:

BTW I worked hard on my essay, so quit derailing my thread!!! :baiting:

Or I'll start one about pressing! :gossip:

From a post of mine on 9/15/03......

The Twelve Steps Of High Grade Collectors Anonymous

1. We admitted we were powerless over high grade comic collecting- that

our lives (and our filing system) had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a power higher than ourselves (probably Galactus) could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our collection and our lives over to the

care of the Watcher as we understood him.

4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our collection, and

revealed all restored items.

5. Admitted to our spouse, to ourselves and another member of the CGC

board the exact dollar value of our collection.

6. Were entirely ready to have Odin remove all the 5.5s and lower from

our collection.

7. Humbly asked Odin to dump the craap on Ebay.

8. Made a list of all persons we had made Paypal payments to and became

willing to offer positive feedback to all.

9. Sent direct emails to such people whenever possible, except when to

do so would expose them as shills.

10.Continued to inventory our collection and weed out all overpriced

mid-80's comics that were worth less than cover price (see Captain

Victory).

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious

contact with Ego the Living Planet, praying only for knowledge of his

will for us and the cosmic power (along with a surfboard) to carry that

out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we

tried to carry this message to other compulsive collectors and to

practice these principles in all our affairs.

Will that do? meh

Hey everyone! Comic collecting, like anything else, can be an addictive and expensive hobby, especially when coupled with that narcotic known as eBay :sick:. I decided to start a thread so people could share their stories of over the top things they may have done to buy comics, to an audience of people who can relate. A sort of "Comic Addicts Anonymous" if you will. Does buying slabs give you an endorphin rush? Does your seratonin levels elevate over Raw SA's?

No stories of prostitution please.

Hello all! My name is Thomas and I'm a Comic Book Addict. The last comic I bought was this morning.

I used to collect comics as a child from the age of 8 until I was 14, when my stepfather threw away all 7,000 plus of them. That took me completely out of the hobby.

Now fast forward to September 2006. I am in the Army and stationed in Germany. I have a nice girlfriend and everything is going well in my life. I was looking on eBay for a Spider-man DVD for my youngest son when I noticed the word "comic books" under one of the search areas. Comic books? hm hm hm hm Well, I hadn't collected comics in 24+ years and was interested at just looking at what was out there. Bad move. Next thing I know I'm browsing through all the comic auctions, bidding with reckless abandon on several. It was like a dormant switch had gotten flipped on. I was helpless. I won eleven auctions that first night. When the books arrived, I was so enamored with them, I decided I would "just look" at a couple of other auctions. Handling the books and smelling that "comic smell" had rekindled the love of the hobby that had so long lay dormant. I started looking up comics for sale on the web and found several sites: Metro, Pedigree, ComicSupply, CL and Heritage. I was now hooked! I saw that a bunch of books on the 'Bay were called CGC graded? Not knowing what the heck that was I decided to do a bit of research. I visited the CGC website and read about the grading process, etc. I was intrigued. Then I noticed the phrase "chat boards" on the site. I clicked on it and started reading the posts. WOW! There are so many people on this site I can halfway relate to! People who understand! I started visiting the site everyday. Not joining, just observing and learning. Not joining because I wasn't sure if I would be accepted. I was already catching it from my girlfriend over my "newfound hobby"! It was getting on her nerves. She thought they were too expensive, and that the army didn't pay me enough to support such a habit. My argument to her was that at least it wasn't drugs or lap dances I was spending my money on :shrug:

Anyways, after a couple of months I finally decided to join the Forums. I placed a couple of posts and had gained some measure of acceptance. Meanwhile, my girlfriend started complaining I was spending too much on comics. "What do you mean?" I replied. There's food on the table, all the bills are paid, you get your hair done on the regfular, and we still have some money left over. What's the problem???? So the fussing continued. I resorted to sneaking and buying books. I had a separate APO box created for me at the mailroom for my arriving comics just so she wouldn't find out. I was buying books from every site I could. I would lie, saying I was putting something on layaway, just so I would avoid the conflict and hassle of an argument. Lying, sneaking...yeah, the hobby had consumed me!

After getting burned on eBay a couple of times too many, I decided to not buy anything off eBay anymore. I shared my bad experiences on the boards, and LO! They directed me to the FS threads!!!! :whatthe:(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

Well, after all the sneaking and buying books on the sly, I was finally found out. The ensuing confrontation was of epic proportions. I almost lost the woman that I loved! We actually DID break up for awhile, right before I came back to the States. Luckily for me, we stayed in contact with each other. We worked everything out after I was here a couple of months. We got married this past July.

I still sneak and buy books. I have to. They call me. Slabbed or raw, it's an irresistable siren song. I'm a comic book addict. Watch for my :takeit:

Thomas

I could not have said it better myself!! :applause: