• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comic Addict's Confessional Room

361 posts in this topic

Forgive me Father for I have sinned:

When I started collecting, eBay raw "NM" copies were fine.

Then I found CGC, but anything 9.0 or higher (any PQ) was fine.

Then, I found myself wanting higher grade copies. 9.4 or better.

Then, I found myself getting disgusted over COW and OW pages.

Then, the cut of the book (QP) wasn't good enough.

Then, I found myself upgrading my 9.4 and 9.6 books because they weren't good enough. In many cases, I've sold my undergrade copies before acquiring my higher grade books only to loose the auction.

I'm spinning out of control. What will I do? What will I do?

Then, I found myself upgrading my 9.4 and 9.6 books because they weren't good enough. In many cases, I've sold my undergrade copies before acquiring my higher grade books only to loose the auction.

Yes, the bar keeps moving higher, esp when you read the CGC boards and the guys proudly show off their awesome 9.6 JIMs and TOS books

(shrug)

Top 10 excuses to your significant other to buy an expensive comic

10) I need to upgrade my current copy!

9) I need it to complete my run!

8) It's a 7 on the Gerbar Scale! :insane:

7) (Fill in Artist's Name here) did the artwork!

6) It's a "Key!"

5) It's my GRAIL! (worship)

4) It has historical significance!

3) I've NEVER seen one for this price! :whatthe:

2) It's going to be worth a LOT more someday!

1) Greggy has one!

:signfunny: but true. I also use these excuses on myself!

You forgot my favorite excuse!

"I need to corner the market by buying every copy of Conan #1"

My wife then shakes her head in disgust and goes out to buy another outfit.

You may want to PM Cal and see if you guys can work out the market cornering angle together. :eek::foryou:

Greggy has one! - If I only had a nickel for every time I have used that excuse. doh!

What DW may have used this excuse for:

(1) Mail order bride

(2) Gary Coleman autographed TV Guide, with "Whatchoo talkin about DW" personalization

(3) Albino python

(4) Standing order with Banana Republic for khaki short-shorts

(5) CGC 9.8 X-men 101

How do people handle a situation where you already own an expensive collection before meeting your loved one? You'd probably have to sell a part of your collection to finance the wedding, honeymoon, ring, etc., but what about your key books?! Would you keep some of your most prized possessions a secret, or spill the beans and suffer the consequences?!

Buy a beater, slab it - display it with your HG's proudly - then all will be forgiven my son! :angel:

How do people handle a situation where you already own an expensive collection before meeting your loved one? You'd probably have to sell a part of your collection to finance the wedding, honeymoon, ring, etc., but what about your key books?! Would you keep some of your most prized possessions a secret, or spill the beans and suffer the consequences?!

Be up front. If comics are a part of your life and your own personal "culture" so to speak, then that's a part of you she will accept. After all, you're the same comic geek she fell in :luhv: (hopefully) with. It's finding out later (like MINE did), that causes conflict to arise. Heck, she may get into it a little bit and even surprise you on birthdays or other special occasions WITH a comic. :cloud9:

I don't think mine ever will though :shrug:

Dear CCA,

I'm a comic book addict. It's now been over a WEEK since I have posted a :takeit: on a book!

Wizard World Texas is 10 days and a wake-up away! Since FF #12 is out of my reach, I'm going to try my best to buy HG BA's to fill ALL the gaps in my FF #100 -present run. The only problem I foresee is if I see any SWEET HG SA's at a good price! :wishluck:

Tried to explain this to the wife - she just doesn't understand :shrug:

She looks at me like I'm a freak

I feel your pain brother. Your path of escalation mirrors mine and I'm sure many others' experiences. In the meantime, you're putting together a kick azz collection, so enjoy!!! :acclaim::cloud9::banana:

Dear CAA,

It's been 10 days since I posted a :takeit: . I have, however, paid for a large purchase from the :takeit: I did 10 days ago, and have completed my end of a trade transaction. WW Texas now a week away!

Bought a couple of comic related graphic tees (one has the cover of ASM #1 and the other, the cover of FF #57) at Steve & Barry's. My wife just looked at me sadly and shook her head...

I'm not addicted...really. I still have every single comic book I have ever purchased since 1972 and the room my ex-wife adored is now devoted to storing only my comics. (And the comics are far less expensive to maintain.) I could sell them all tomorrow as long as no one ever removed them from my home and gave me my money back so that I could buy more. No, scratch that, I couldn't sell them tomorrow but I'm not sure I can afford a crypt large enough to bury us all in.

Dear CAA,

It's been 10 days since I posted a :takeit: . I have, however, paid for a large purchase from the :takeit: I did 10 days ago, and have completed my end of a trade transaction. WW Texas now a week away!

Bought a couple of comic related graphic tees (one has the cover of ASM #1 and the other, the cover of FF #57) at Steve & Barry's. My wife just looked at me sadly and shook her head...

ASM 1 and FF 57 :cloud9:

isn't it really only an addiction if it is getting you in trouble in some way? not being able to pay your bills for example.

if that is not the case (getting in trouble from it), then i would just call it being very passionate about your hobby.

It's like the joke about the definition of an alcoholic...someone who drinks just as much as you do that you don't like...

You couldn't have taken the words more exactly out of my mouth...when I first started on eBay I told my wife (now of 29 years) that I was just going to upgrade them to 6.0 FN which I said would be very attainable and very inexpensive (I do 99% on line and have never been to a con although I'd like to some day)...now I'm obsessed with 9.0-9.4 slabs and the holes I need now are pretty much $500 and up...

But I just like having my collection...I tell my wife I'm basically an "archivist" (like one of those monks in The Name Of The Rose (Umberto Eco) and that culture and history need people like me to protect these valuable beauties and pass them along to future generations...

p.s. She hasn't really bought that one but I guess she's going to put up with me, we've known each other since we were 18...If I didn't make the decent dough I make today I'd be in deep mess!

Dear CAA,

It's been a whopping 18 hours since I posted a :takeit: on a book meh. Couldn't help it! A SWEEEEET FF #150 (NM+). Don't know what's wrong with me...maybe I'm a bibliophile or whatever. In all fairness, I only have two other copies of this book and this was a much needed upgrade, so I got it.

Well, 2 days left until my first comic convention in 27 years :banana: ! Kinda nervous and excited but I'm sure it'll pass. My wife keeps making me dip into my comic money for stuff we "need". She thinks she's slick. She just doesn't want me to spend any money on comics. This doesn't make too much sense to me. She told me it was cool to ge the tickets, even recommended I get the VIP so at least I get some freebies. But why does she expect me to drive over 2 hours one way to this thing and not buy comics? :doh: I'm supposed to drive all that way to receive a WW variant cover for (urk!) Ultimate Spider Man :whatthe:???????? WTF???!!!??

Anyways, she's my queen & I love her. No matter what.

My name is Thomas and I'm a Comic Book Addict

Dear CAA,

I just can't help it, the taste of Wintergreen Skoal long-cut is just sooooo delicious! It follows great with a few bottle of beer and maybe a shot of Scotch. I've got to also admit that I'm adicted to 'tang as well. I don't know what to do! My mind is preoccupied with the thoughts of booze, flooze, and tobacco that I find it hard to do anything else. Oh, and I like comics too.

v/r,

The Troopinator