• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open plea to all CGC Forumites - OT Threads
2 2

378 posts in this topic

About the only two that don't show up on this side are thing and TJ. All you have to do is fight fire with fire. :flamed:

This is really just so silly I don't know what to say. I have and do post in the

Water Cooler. I really do not have any fear of posting there or here. The main

point, if any, was to point out that content and merit will carry any post to stay

on the first page. If, for whatever reason people find interest to post to a

thread they will. We are best when we decide what stays and what goes,

within the limts setup by the host, and guided by ARCH.

Same.

:gossip:really just trying to make a somewhat silly point.

:baiting:

:gossip:Elementary my dear Watson, elementary. (thumbs u

Or are the OT posts in CG squelching out the ten's and ten's of important threads that need to be seen? :baiting:

Yes. Any comic-related thread, no matter how inane, is more important than some stupid OT thread.

If you don't agree with me, I'm happy to make my point by duplicating what POV did a few years ago to get the Mods to start clamping down on the explosion of OT threads in the General Forum.

Who put your panties in a bunch? Lay off the caffeine. :baiting:

Nah, just tired of the constant OT threads in General.

Or are the OT posts in CG squelching out the ten's and ten's of important threads that need to be seen? :baiting:

Yes. Any comic-related thread, no matter how inane, is more important than some stupid OT thread.

If you don't agree with me, I'm happy to make my point by duplicating what POV did a few years ago to get the Mods to start clamping down on the explosion of OT threads in the General Forum.

Constant????? I count 7 out of 31 threads that are OT.on the first page.

I think it comes down to needing at times somthings that are not all

about comics, if for no other reason then the brake it gives us.

Why is everyone afraid of the Water Cooler? Most of them are just full of hot air.

Whoever said anyone was afraid of the WC? :screwy: Wisely steering clear of the crazies does not an afraid person make.

I look at the WC more as a room full of people I would rather not hang out with for the most part, let alone ask their opinion on matters that I really only cared to hear my fellow collecting peers opinion of.

I signed up to participate on this forum for the comic collecting community that dwells here, but understand a line must be drawn about what OT posts are too far OT to be tolerated. In the end CG is the melting pot of the CGC forum, and as Brain wisely stated. "If people do not want to read it, let alone talk about it.. the OT post will wither and die on the vine", so really what harm is done?

If it were not for the OT posts that help keep a conversation, or rather forum going.. then all we have left is..gulp.. comic talk.

God help us.

Ze-

yes, this is what I think too. No harm done, and it is a nice diversion.

Well, based upon what I said in my post.. I disagree with you Tim! :baiting:

Go ahead and OT post away my friend, last I checked there was 2-3 threads this past weekend about crickets chirping around here. So you might actually make a thread that sticks in your effort to illustrate why OT posts have no place here.

It's all good to me. Because ultimately I can click on it, or not.

Ze-

The thing is, Kenny, that I think that's a really selfish approach. What you seem to be advocating is that we should all do whatever we please, and everyone should have to work their way around us. The point is that the OT posters should show a little consideration and confine their OT posts to the WC, and not clutter everything up in the General page so those who aren't interested don't have to pick their way through.

I don't know anyone in the water cooler.

There are so many more comic guys than coin and sports card guys on these boards. If we would just move all of our OT conversations over into the WC, we would completely take over the WC, and then you would know everyone in the WC.

More importantly, Tim...have you ever seen a ghost?

Now I'm glad I told Brent to drive up the price of the OAW 164 on you. :baiting:

You cost me $50. :frustrated:rantrant

Sorry Jeff. I blame Brent for not letting me know a boardie was the potential buyer! :foryou:

Just giving you a hard time. I'm thrilled to get the book.

Go ahead and OT post away my friend, last I checked there was 2-3 threads this past weekend about crickets chirping around here. So you might actually make a thread that sticks in your effort to illustrate why OT posts have no place here.

Ze-

The thing is, Kenny, that I think that's a really selfish approach. What you seem to be advocating is that we should all do whatever we please, and everyone should have to work their way around us. The point is that the OT posters should show a little consideration and confine their OT posts to the WC, and not clutter everything up in the General page so those who aren't interested don't have to pick their way through.

I don't see how it's selfish. We all pick & choose what to respond to. Whether it's a favorite movie post, or a McFarlane rules post, or a pressing post. I'd rather read a favorite movie post then a McFarlane rules post or a pressing post.

Edited by shiverbones

Ze-

To be fair Tim, I agree with you to some extent. Should we have a thread about Ohio State Football in CG?.. prolly not. But if somebody who collects comics wants to talk about movies, food, or life in general.. I can relate to that because they are fellow comic collectors and I sympathize with them. And yes it even interests me sometimes.

I can appreciate you saying a thread about college football(or other Off OT post) really has no place in CG. But in the end..how much time are you really losing by having to skip over that thread and move on to the next one?

I think Dan was right...switch to decaff. :foryou:

Ze-

Edited by Ze-man

You think almost 25% of the threads on the first page being OT isn't excessive?

There is a WC. It's one click away. What is so :censored:ing hard about going there to talk about all non-comic-related stuff? I go there all the time to talk about soccer and investments. I see a lot of other considerate people from the comic boards go there to talk about baseball and football all the time.

Seems like the only people complaining about going to the WC are those who are scared, lazy, or believe they have some entitlement to do whatever they please because in their opinion it only marginally inconveniences their fellow boardies.

I don't know anyone in the water cooler.

There are so many more comic guys than coin and sports card guys on these boards. If we would just move all of our OT conversations over into the WC, we would completely take over the WC, and then you would know everyone in the WC.

More importantly, Tim...have you ever seen a ghost?

Now I'm glad I told Brent to drive up the price of the OAW 164 on you. :baiting:

You cost me $50. :frustrated:rantrant

Sorry Jeff. I blame Brent for not letting me know a boardie was the potential buyer! :foryou:

Just giving you a hard time. I'm thrilled to get the book.

I'm trying to help you guilt him so he'll give you a better deal next time. :gossip:

And next time he asks me for pricing help, I'll know what I'll ask first! lol

I don't see how it's selfish. We all pick & choose what to respond to. Whether it's a favorite movie post, or a McFarlane rules post, or a pressing post. I'd rather read a favorite movie post then a McFarlane rules post or a pressing post.

Yes, but this is a COMICS board. I fully accept that if I come on to this board, I will have to wade through comics-related threads that I have no interest in. That comes with the territory and is a fair trade-off.

On the other hand, it's not part of the deal to have to wade through threads about ghosts and college football. Particularly when there is a forum set up by CGC specifically to handle all OT topics. By the way, this is not just me expressing my personal preferences, this happens to be CGC's own rules, and I'm just expressing my support for those rules and why I think they're good. If CGC had said that General was supposed to be a free-for-all and everyone could post whatever they want, that would be the understanding that we all came in here with and it would be hard for me to say people shouldn't make OT posts. But that's not what they said, and it's not what these boards are about.

Just now looking at the Comics General first TWO pages of Threads I just counted

Seventeen ( 17) Off-topic Threads. That is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

too much and I am not shocked but dissapointed at some of the counter-arguments on this Thread.

It was too good to be true.

So I will take the next step.

CAL :juggle:

The funny thing is there are some of us who view Comics General as the water cooler.

We go to Gold, Silver etc. for specific comic related posts.

There are some in Gold who rarely venture into General, for a variety of reasons.

There is a part of me that agrees with Cal and tth2, simply because I sometimes hate the clutter.

But for the most part, I already view General as a free-for-all so the OT posts don't bother me too much.

The funny thing is there are some of us who view Comics General as the water cooler.

We go to Gold, Silver etc. for specific comic related posts.

There are some in Gold who rarely venture into General, for a variety of reasons.

There is a part of me that agrees with Cal and tth2, simply because I sometimes hate the clutter.

But for the most part, I already view General as a free-for-all so the OT posts don't bother me too much.

what broke the camel's back was another shill from the "OT my fiancee left me..." threads.

what started out as silly banter from my part turned out to be soemone's opportunity to drag out and re-post something from aug. 2006 - the shill was not even registered here until March 2007. Then Skypinkblu joined forces with her "friend" and tried to pile on.

here is the link:

Testinadical links my posts from 08/2006 - but he is not reg. until 03/2007???

I think the mere fact that people are arguing that there are too many OT posts illustrates perfectly that sometimes we are all here to discuss things that are not comic centric, and just love to argue.

As Matthew said quite succinctly.. in the end OT don't bother me that much. So I will just sit back and wait to see what the next step is.

Night

Ze-

I think the mere fact that people are arguing that there are too many OT posts illustrates perfectly that sometimes we are all here to discuss things that are not comic centric but just love to argue.

As Matthew said quite succinctly.. in the end OT don't bother me that much. So I will just sit back and watch to see what the next step is.

Night

Ze-

go back and read my last post them PM me again, sir.

CAL :juggle: