• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who drew this?

12 posts in this topic

I was always under the impression that this was a Joe Simon cover (it just looks like it to me). But I checked the GCD site and they're crediting Bob Powell.

Now I'm certain it's not Powell, but I'm now questioning my assumption that it was Simon. Anybody feel confident enough to tell me one way or the other?

46962-Pocket3a.jpg.35ecc90d4bf9ef169d887c4cd5e256d9.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was the well known Crippen Overstreet Davis. His initials are on the lower portion of the cover. Look carefully near the Nazi skeleton's left hand, you can barely make out the initials.

I thought it was Douglas.

Anyway, I'm thinking it might have been Al Avison now.

I'm pretty sure it was the well known Crippen Overstreet Davis. His initials are on the lower portion of the cover. Look carefully near the Nazi skeleton's left hand, you can barely make out the initials.

I thought it was Douglas.

Anyway, I'm thinking it might have been Al Avison now.

Now that you mention him, I agree that it looks like Avison. But there were so many swipes it's really hard to know. Does anyone know if Avison or Powell worked in Simon's shop?

Looks like Al Avison.

Al worked with Al Gabriel for Joe Simon on the last five or six Captain Americas, and it turned into a steady gig for them. Simon was working for Harvey at this period, and perhaps that's where they met.

Regards,

Greg Theakston