• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important Covers & Stories

62 posts in this topic

What's the issue # on the Capt Morgan?

The Captain Morgan page is also from Rangers 14. The famous cover from this issue also reflects events that happen in the Capt.Morgan's "U.S. Rangers" story. From what I've seen, that's somewhat unusual for a Fiction House book.

Action Comics 2 - first paratrooper cover?

Said in jest but first paratrooper is somewhat historic since it was a brave new thing before WWII and vital to the fight. Plus it was right around the beginning of Golden Age of Comics.

Ed

1st paratrooper in a pulp is from Air Stories November 1927 (I'll post a pic later)

1st Paratrooper in a GA comic is indeed Action Comics #2 from 1938. Although, I don't know if you want to consider that cover a parachute themed comic or not. I think Hit Comics #4 from 1940 has Tanks being Air Dropped into battle and Marvel Mystery Comics #14 and Master Comics #7 from 1940 show soldiers dropping into battle.

These are only coming from the titles and covers I've identified thus far, I could be wrong...but I should be close.

Top Notch 2, first nazi war cover, with swatzika.

Great, checked that cover....has paratroopers on it....also from 1940. This one wasn't on my checklist until today. Thanks!

Glad to be of service. Talk about a book that got no respect...it took forever for Overstreet to recognise that book and they still don't give it full credit. It seems Marvel Mystery 4 didn't want to give up the first nazi war cover credit, but it finally had to and they still try to give it some credit, but the fact is, Top Notch 2 is the first Nazi war cover and first nazi swatzika. My friend Paris pointed this out to me years ago, I told Shield and Shield did all the hard work getting Overstreet to recognise this fact. Of course many other collectors already knew this, but MM4 was a more valuable book.

There are some interesting pro-Stalin books out there (they escape me at the present), and I think there's an issue of True Comics (or maybe it's Comics Digest #1) that spotlights Chiang Kai-Shek. A lot of the early Real Life's have some interesting stuff as well (especially #3 and 5)

Then there are the US Bond covers

WDCS 46

Looney Tunes 33

Popular 101

New Funnies 89

Came out all in the same month July 1944 with similar covers showing an actual $100 bond. Not sure if there was any government request to do this but clearly a decision was made at Dell to use their most popular titles to promote the govt bond.

I wonder what the response would be if something like that happened today?

bond.jpg

There are some interesting pro-Stalin books out there (they escape me at the present), and I think there's an issue of True Comics (or maybe it's Comics Digest #1) that spotlights Chiang Kai-Shek. A lot of the early Real Life's have some interesting stuff as well (especially #3 and 5)

Real Life 3 contains comics biography of Hitler. First and, so far as I know, only.

Real Life 3 contains comics biography of Hitler. First and, so far as I know, only.

Can you think of any pro-Stalin stuff? I'm going to have to go read all of my GA.

I think in Keen Detective Funnies v2n7 some cowboys call an indian a "spic". I don't know if that's historically significant.

Can you think of any pro-Stalin stuff? I'm going to have to go read all of my GA.

I think in Keen Detective Funnies v2n7 some cowboys call an indian a "spic". I don't know if that's historically significant.

Some of the Treasure Chests have Stalin/Communism stories, but they're definitely not pro-Stalin.

I can't recall any but by no means have I read enough GA that that to be remotely close to definitive.

I think there is short biography in Stamp comics. Forget which issue.

bb