• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important SA Covers & Stories

22 posts in this topic

I am looking to identify specific books with covers or stories that are either historically important/symbolic or simply completely strange/humorous (i.e., double entendre covers).

By historically important/symbolic I am not referring to books like AF#15 being the first appearance of Spiderman, but examples of drug story books not being approved by the Comic Code in ASM #96-96, how the Batman comic books were influenced by the television program, etc. Books that reflect covers and stories that truly represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years.

I have done a lot of this work already but this forum is awash with substantive knowledge and I would be foolish not to take advantage of it. If you can post a picture of the cover, that would be great. If you do not have the cover available and can simply refer me to the title and issue, that is fine as well.

Feel free to suggest anything and everything, but please explain why you are doing so in order for me to consider whether that is what I am looking to catalogue.

As my purpose is not restricted to only the Silver Age, I will be cross-posting this request in the other forum sections so if you have suggestions for other eras, please post them there.

Thanks! (thumbs u

First one that comes to mind...ASM V2 #36!

Will try and think of others...

To completely understand what you have in mind, would FF #21 be an example?

(Also, re. the ASM non-Comics Code approved take a look at the one cover that was nixed internally by Marvel as "too overt"...if you can't find it let me know and I will send link...)

Tom

Mark,

ASM #68 (Crisis on Campus!) was a classic cover and story. It reflected some of the social & political turmoil our country was experiencing at the time

Thomas

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, and in any case it is more of a question than a definitive statement, but does anyone know if this is the first example (Feb 1969 cover date, on sale in 1968) in a post-Code comic of the word "Damn" being used? (Check out the protestor's sign in the left hand side background).

I'm not sure you could even say that on TV in '68, could you? :o

nevermind the last part, I forgot about all the famous Dr. McCoyisms: "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracleworker." But the comics question still stands.

46966-1428_4_185.jpg.0cbcd8236f756ac283f62ea706eca1ce.jpg

Well, I think the GL series with 76 on up would be beneficial to include given a number of the social commentaries present in the storylines as well as the covers (Speedy shooting heroin, etc).

I think the Flash Thompson/ Viet Nam draft storyline could be interesting to look at as well- examing the way the students view heroic Flash for going to war (throwing him the party, etc) while Peter remains home. It wasn't the primary storyline, but I think it was an interesting look into the times especially when compared to later issues when the war is addressed again.

You might also jump ahead into the BA to look at the birth of the anti-hero that was introduced with Conan and the Punisher- characters who have become the "traditional" hero in today's current culture.

For moderns (what little I actually read), this is probably painfully obvious but the solid comparisons between the Civil War series and the current U.S. political landscape that are all but explicitly laid out (especially when you listen to some of Joe Q's remarks).

Anyhow, those are just a few I could think of. Now I'm thinking of lunch, so I'm out!

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, and in any case it is more of a question than a definitive statement, but does anyone know if this is the first example (Feb 1969 cover date, on sale in 1968) in a post-Code comic of the word "Damn" being used? (Check out the protestor's sign in the left hand side background).

I'm not sure you could even say that on TV in '68, could you? :o

nevermind the last part, I forgot about all the famous Dr. McCoyisms: "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracleworker." But the comics question still stands.

cgcfl185.jpg

Rick

Batlle 66 has a story about Castro's pre-communism days with an admiring slant to it, if that helps. The book has a cover date of Oct '59.

Ah, the good old days when Castro was our friend and down with Batista!!!! Well, that didn't last long!

Here's a tie-in to popular music of its time (try not to be jealous of the superb condition of this copy):

JO088.jpg

Here's a tie-in to pop culture in the form of Don Rickles:

JO139.jpg

Here's a classic "with it" story where Lois lives life as a black woman (bronze age)

LL106.jpg

Here's an ironic cover as WW is hooked up to a lie detector, the machine created by WW's creator, Wm. Moulton Marston:

WW53A.jpg

It's strips, rather than a book, but I just read Fantagraphic's Pogo vol. 10, which reprinted Kelly's 1953 comic strips spoofing the McCarthy hearings. I'm shocked they were printed at the time.

Does anyone know of any other contemporary comic references to McCarthyism?

Here is the reason why I've been collecting covers and stories. This lecture is to be delivered on Saturday, July 25, 2009, at the San Diego Comic-Con.

6:30 - 7:30 From Cave Art To Superheroes: Comic Books & Social Commentary. Join Mark S. Zaid, Esq., owner of EsquireComics.com, a co-founder of the Network of Disclosure and an Advisor to the Overstreet Comic Book Price and Grading Guides, for an educational and humorous interactive visual arts presentation tracing the historical creation and development of comic books and their characters, and particularly how comics addressed social issues of the day (including such topics as war, sex, civil rights, women's liberation, politics, censorship, violence, and terrorism). Room 10.

These boards are a great resource for information and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything important.

If you plan on attending the SD Con, please do try to put this program on your calendar. It offers a nice segway into the planned CGC forum dinner. :hi:

In fact, this educational program is being co-sponsored by CGC and the NOD. (thumbs u