• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important Modern Covers & Stories

42 posts in this topic

I am looking to identify specific books with covers or stories that are either historically important/symbolic or simply completely strange/humorous (i.e., double entendre covers).

By historically important/symbolic I am referring to books that reflect covers and stories that truly represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years. For example, how have comics dealt with the war against terrorism?

I have done a lot of this work already but this forum is awash with substantive knowledge and I would be foolish not to take advantage of it. If you can post a picture of the cover, that would be great. If you do not have the cover available and can simply refer me to the title and issue, that is fine as well.

Feel free to suggest anything and everything, but please explain why you are doing so in order for me to consider whether that is what I am looking to catalogue.

As my purpose is not restricted to only the Modern Age, I will be cross-posting this request in the other forum sections so if you have suggestions for other eras, please post them there.

Thanks! (thumbs u

Mark, the ones that stand out to me...

Amazing Spiderman #36 (current series) Black cover in rememberance of the 9/11 attacks.

HEROES from Marvel comics, came out about a week after the 9/11 attacks.

I will try to think of others, I would think Suicide Squad (Ostrander Run) would be a good start as well as The Authority (Millar run especially). Both seemed to run with the current times of war and politics.

Amazing Spiderman #36 (current series) Black cover in rememberance of the 9/11 attacks.

I will try to think of others, I would think Suicide Squad (Ostrander Run) would be a good start as well as The Authority (Millar run especially). Both seemed to run with the current times of war and politics.

Perfect, thanks. The newer books I definitely don't have scans of so if anyone can post them that would really be helpful! (thumbs u

I think Civil War is/was pretty important as a story that, "represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years" and in some ways, attempts to offer insights on the war on terrorism.

there's alot of reading between the lines to be done for CW, love it or hate it.

Mark,

ASM #68 (Crisis on Campus!) was a classic cover and story. It reflected some of the social & political turmoil our country was experiencing at the time

Thomas

I think Civil War is/was pretty important as a story that, "represent the culture of the time, and reflect how that culture has changed over the years" and in some ways, attempts to offer insights on the war on terrorism.

there's alot of reading between the lines to be done for CW, love it or hate it.

Here is where my ignorance of current books, or anything within the last 20 years, shows!!! I know of the series, but I honestly have no idea what it is about. Can someone elaborate on how it offers "insights on the war on terrorism" and how it is distinct from other books of this time?

Perfect, thanks. The newer books I definitely don't have scans of so if anyone can post them that would really be helpful! (thumbs u

For what it's worth, here you go.

ASM v2 #36:

ASMv236.jpg

Ex Machina takes so many political and social beliefs and challeges them to the core.

Like whether a major should legalize the use of marijuana (personal beliefs vs. what he should do for the city).

"Vaughan has said that the comic was "born out of my anger with what passes for our current political leadership (on both sides of the aisle)".

Vaughan has admitted seeing the series as a means to explore real-world contemporary politics as well, but states that discussing themes overtly is not something he prefers."

Pat

Here is where my ignorance of current books, or anything within the last 20 years, shows!!! I know of the series, but I honestly have no idea what it is about. Can someone elaborate on how it offers "insights on the war on terrorism" and how it is distinct from other books of this time?

Civil War focused on the superhero community creating division among itself. You had your pro registration and Anti registration sides. Which actually were a metaphor for Pro War and Anti War.

All Superheroes in the story were required to register with the government.

The Pro Registration side had a Guantanamo Bay like Prison where they kept enemy combatants.

It spoke a lot of liberty and rights and the extent both sides would go to, to promote their agenda.

Civil War focused on the superhero community creating division among itself. You had your pro registration and Anti registration sides. Which actually were a metaphor for Pro War and Anti War.

All Superheroes in the story were required to register with the government.

The Pro Registration side had a Guantanamo Bay like Prison where they kept enemy combatants.

It spoke a lot of liberty and rights and the extent both sides would go to, to promote their agenda.

Interesting. I may need to read it now.

Pride of Baghdad (if you are including graphic novels)

Fax from Sarajevo (again another graphic novel)

Grenada (1984, AC Langdon Pub.)

Thanks Paul.

Is the Grenada book above different from the one published by Commercial Comics? I haven't looked at my copy to see if they disguised the publisher's true name.