• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller offering me a Tec 27 and Batman 1.. What to do!?!?!?

96 posts in this topic

Buy the Tec as the others have stated it is easy to pick up a restored Bat#1.

Fact he has disclosed it as restored makes life easier in terms of price negotiation.

Key thing then is firstly is the grade right and then the level of restoration.

Per GPA - MP 7.0 Tec #27s were going in the $45k (April 07) to $50k (May 07).

A restored VG/VG+ would be in the $20 -30k region depending on the level of restoration.

If uncertain about level of resto and grading I would do a deal where you have agreed a matrix of grade vs level of resto. the price would be dependent on the CGC grading

- i.e if VG/VG+ then $20k if extensive, $24k if moderate and $27k if slight etc.

You would have to pay the CGC cost and factor that into the pricing.

Tec #27 scans:

Detective27fc1.jpg

[/img]

I would say that the 27 is under some scrutiny...normally, when the "bob kane" sig at the bottom is cut off, there is more yellow border at the top....and, vice versa...when the entire "bob kane" sig is present at the bottom, there is less yellow border at the top (about the level this books displays, yet the bob kane sig is cut off, so I would question it)...

I would be concerned about trimming, but I would not be concerned about it being a FF reprint, as it is not, as evidenced by the front cover...

to further George's price analysis...

a Vg, slight resto copy would like sell well into the mid to upper 30's K ...I don't think any tec 27 will sell under 30K, even in fr condition...heck, that pr/fr copy sold on ebay last year for over $30K ...and the VG trimmed copy heritage offered last summer, sold for $36K....

so, FMV on a slight restored tec 27 in VG shape, is about $37500 (that is what I would pay)...on a moderate, maybe $35-36K...and maybe $33 K on extensive...

brian, as someone else mentioned, if you can't swing the tec 27 deal, certainly try to broker it for a fellow boardie (like me!!!!)

gator

ps-$6K for the restored bat 1

I completely agree with Rick and Geroge!

That is one good looking VG Tec #27 (thumbs u

Like Rick said I still might be a little worried about trimming. Even if it is trimmed though just adjust the price accordingly.

again, I have no idea if it is trimmed...could be the angle of the picture throwing me off...could be any number of things...I guess my point is, with all the "controversy" surrounding the Mcdermit (sp?) tec 27 purchase, is why would someone today, sell a $30K or $50K or whatever book, without the confidence of a resto check (by cgc, or susan or matt, etc)..it can only enhance the sale price....

unless you are metro, or bedrock or some other long standing, authoritative type GA seller/dealer, I have trouble putting any faith in a seller of this type of book, that doesn't have some supportive type "documents" to assist in a sale...

I am not saying there is anything wrong, I would just caution a buyer (brian in this case), to be careful....especially when this kind of money could really affect brian's collecting for sometime to come...

that said, if this is the real deal, and brian can get for a great price, then there are few that are as deserving as he is! and I say congrats!

gator

I have to ask if the seller is an experienced collector/seller or just a private party who happens to have these books. Now that Gator has brought up the trimming aspect, all kinds of crazy and paranoid thoughts are popping up. Don't let that throw you, this is your discovery and you should either buy it (after some more research and due dilligence) or broker a deal. What's the current rate? Twenty percent? Ten from each party?Twenty from the buyer? Get some more scans or photos. See if you can get a photo that is straight on. Do any of the high flyers here know of a way to secure the payment between the two parties until after a full resto check (trimming) has been brought up and what's a fair price for that book if the book is trimmed?

I have to ask if the seller is an experianced collector/seller or just a private party who happens to have these books. Now that Gator has brought up the trimming aspect, all kinds of crazy and paranoid thoughts are popping up. Don't let that throw you, this is your discovery and you should either buy it (after some more research and due dilligence) or broker a deal. What's the current rate? Twenty percent? Ten from each party?Twenty from the buyer? Get some more scans or photos. See if you can get a photo that is straight on. Do any of the high flyers here know of a way to secure the payment between the two parties until after a full resto check (trimming) has been brought up and what's a fair price for that book if the book is trimmed?

there are plenty of escrow services that will provide the payment security (for a fee, of course)...

and I agree with BH...I only bring up speculations (and that is all it is) to help brian make the right decision...

given that a VG trimmed book sold on heritage last year for $36000, that is probably a little high, but in the ball park...if there is no trimming, and truly only slight color touch with tape, then to me, the book nears or exceeds $40K...if it is extensive resto, then I think the low mid 30's is ok for a vg book...metro has a nice vg/fn restored right now in the low 40's, and they have a nice fine trimmed in the mid 40's...so, determining a price would be paramount to this deal...

and if Brian doesn't pull the trigger, based on what happens, I would happily pay him a "broker" type fee (as I am sure most would)

gator

So here's the next question since I know nothing about pricing these big books. We've heard Metro's retail prices, but as a private collector, what percentage of retail would one hope to pay? Assuming the sellers not a little old widow woman, or someone with a rare collectible in an old suitcase. I guess I'm asking...if Met has a tec for 40 grand, what did they pay for it?

I have to ask if the seller is an experienced collector/seller or just a private party who happens to have these books. Now that Gator has brought up the trimming aspect, all kinds of crazy and paranoid thoughts are popping up. Don't let that throw you, this is your discovery and you should either buy it (after some more research and due dilligence) or broker a deal. What's the current rate? Twenty percent? Ten from each party?Twenty from the buyer? Get some more scans or photos. See if you can get a photo that is straight on. Do any of the high flyers here know of a way to secure the payment between the two parties until after a full resto check (trimming) has been brought up and what's a fair price for that book if the book is trimmed?

Maybe the seller found it in an attic?

:insane:

Maybe the seller found it in an attic?

:insane:

:signfunny:

Buy the Tec!

I know.. You don't know how much I would love to do that. As I said earlier, I'd have to sell my entire collection for me to gather the funds for the Tec.. I will think long and hard on this one.. I have not given up yet on my dreams of owning that book. And right now, its within my reach.

Reminds me of a story:

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it."

Books like this do not come around that often, despite what the attic finders are saying. Count the costs and make sure you don't regret your decision either way. Good luck. MK did something recently just like what you are contemplating.

Note to MK: How did that go by the way?

Dan

All is well :cool:

What you have to ask yourself is:

Is your current collection replaceable?

Can you afford what you want without selling your current collection?

How much do you really want this book(s)?

I loved my copper age collection but the books I wanted were expensive and were books (in my case) hard to get in grade (3 SA 9.8s) . I couldnt pass up this oppurtunity. Yes I miss my collection but I could easily do it again. I was attached to them, but they had to go in order to get books that I couldnt realisticly buy with cash.

Think about it...