• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller offering me a Tec 27 and Batman 1.. What to do!?!?!?

96 posts in this topic

I am willing to bet the farm that they are both Famous First Edition reprints with the outer cover removed.

The books don't look right. Remember that the FF books are now 35 yrs old and they too can show signs of aging.

Look at the blazing white pages inside the Bat 1

Also, what a convenient coincidence that he has a Tec 27 and Bat 1 at the same time.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you ask for the measurements of both book before you expend any more energy.

Have the guy send the Tec 27 in for grading and comp him the grading fees as part of the purchase. No muss no fuss and you'll get a good read on the restoration. Agree ahead of time what money you'll pay per what level of resto the book has.

I mean, If you've been after a Tec 27 and one comes along at a reasonable price how can you NOT get it?

If you're worried about the all-or-nothing approach of having to sell your other Tecs to afford it, take out a loan and sell the books to pay it back (and that way if you win the lottery before then you don't have to sell the other Tecs anyway lol )

I'd skip the Bat 1 altogether because those seem to grow on trees.

I am willing to bet the farm that they are both Famous First Edition reprints with the outer cover removed.

The books don't look right. Remember that the FF books are now 35 yrs old and they too can show signs of aging.

Also, what a convenient coincidence that he has a Tec 27 and Bat 1 at the same time.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you ask for the measurements of both book before you expend any more energy.

Did the covers of the interior book for the FFE's look the same as the image on the FFE cover? The FFE cover images have slight differences in the relative positions of buildings.

FFE for Tec 27:

ffe28detective.gif

FFE for Batman 1:

ffe5batman.gif

Did the covers of the interior book for the FFE's look the same as the image on the FFE cover? The FFE cover images have slight differences in the relative positions of buildings.

FFE for Tec 27:

ffe28detective.gif

FFE for Batman 1:

ffe5batman.gif

The FFE Detective 27 shows only the one "stack" to the right while the original shows the extra structure beside it.

Here's the scan of the other Detective 27 that has been mentioned recently.

detectivefront.jpg

Looks like a legit one.

Also, regarding the FFE Batman 1, there are differences on the front cover. The bottom left hand structure shown on the outer cover isn't on the inside cover and is on the original. Also, the original has the triangle shaped structure on the far right building. It's missing on the outer FFE cover but you can see it on the scan shown above of the likely original.

So, they both look legit.

What the heck is Greggy doing in the GA section? Has this place really gone to hell in a handbasket? (shrug)

Only kidding Gregster, you're input and graemlins are welcome anytime, I just don't see you around here much.... (thumbs u

It helps when you have a complete treasury set. I recalled Crowzilla mentioning the Detective 27 FFE cover difference and I was sure about him mentioning something regarding the Batman 1 so why not.

What the heck is Greggy doing in the GA section? Has this place really gone to hell in a handbasket? (shrug)

Only kidding Gregster, you're input and graemlins are welcome anytime, I just don't see you around here much.... (thumbs u

It helps when you have a complete treasury set. I recalled Crowzilla mentioning the Detective 27 FFE cover difference and I was sure about him mentioning something regarding the Batman 1 so why not.

How complete is complete? How many in your set. I've often wondered if mine is complete.

2 days ago, after asking this person whether he had any early Tec books and early Batman books, he emails me saying he has a Detective Comics 27 and a Batman 1. At first I thought hmm, this could only mean one of two things. A is that he is selling a reprint copy of each and B he is just saying that to impress me. In his email, he said that the Tec 27 has minor tape and minor color touch. He gave the book a grade of VG/VG+. For the Bat 1, he said that the book has tape on the spine and some color touch. Inside pages are offwhite/white. Then he asks what would I pay? After reading his email, I asked for scans of both books as I didn't quite believe him.

The next day, he sent me scans of both books.. After viewing the scans, I came to the conclusion that they were in fact the real deal!?!?! I just couldn't believe it. My grail Tec 27 and another book I really want Bat 1 is up for sale!?!? What do I do? I've came up with 2 possibilities. The first is that I sell my pre-robin Tec books and my other GA books to maybe come up with the funds to pay for maybe just the Tec 27 or possibly both. Second, I may ask him if he can hold out on the books until I can save up some funds for the purchase. Realistically, I can probably just afford the Batman 1 in say 2-3 years or somewhere around there? I've recently made a big purchase a few weeks ago in the Crippen Tec 33 and so I'm pretty much out of spending $. I'm faced in this situation that if only I have the $, I woul definitely buy both books. I really don't want to let this go because it's too difficult...... So the question is, what should I do? :pullhair:

I sold all my pre-Robin Tecs to get my 27 and don't regret it.

OK, maybe I'm missing some of the FFE HC ones and the damn GI Joe one but I think I have the rest including the Hanna Barbara ones and the Smurf one.

So...sue me. :eek:

I haven't counted because I have many dupes

Are we talking about the DC ones or the Marvel ones? (shrug)

OK, maybe I'm missing some of the FFE HC ones and the damn GI Joe one but I think I have the rest including the Hanna Barbara ones and the Smurf one.

All of them, all publishers is my quest. I don't do the hardbacks though. I'd love to compare lists so we can see what is left to get.

All of them, all publishers is my quest. I don't do the hardbacks though. I'd love to compare lists so we can see what is left to get.

I'm bored so I'll do an inventory now and send me you a list.

I'm bored so I'll do an inventory now and send me you a list.

(thumbs u (worship)

Well, I just got home.. I would like to end this post right now as I've been getting tons of emails. I would like to think about it on my own and make a decision. This is actually the 2nd Tec 27 that I've been exclusively offered for sale. The first one was from a guy in my hometown, in which Gator aka Rick bought the book judging from the scans he sent me in which he got it restored and I believe sold it to Ciorac. I passed on the book because I wanted to do a pre-robin run and if I bought that Tec 27, I probably wouldn't have the books I have right now. And so, I would like to deal with this transaction between me and the seller. Thanks for all your feedback!