• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you get a published piece do you also like to own the printed material?

29 posts in this topic

When you buy a published do you also like to get the finished product where the art appears? I usually try to get the finished product for my published pieces. If you do, do you like getting them framed side by side?

I usually try to get the finished product for the pieces I have. I only have 5 pieces right now from inexpensive sources, so it doesn't take a me a lot of work. I still need to get a copy of Thor 64 and The Bring Back the Bad Guys TPB. I haven't decided if I want to get the art and the finished product framed together. I think I'd rather have the piece of art stand by itself and not have the finished product take away from it. Plus it will cost a little more to get framed this way, and it will take up more wall space.

When I get a piece, it doesn't matter to me if I own the book it was published in. Usually, if I don't own the book I will go out and get it though. But I don't really want to frame theme together. In some cases the finished pieces look better than the OA...but not in many (or my) cases. My Immonen piece is the best example of this. I think the OA (it's a DPS from Thor) is awesome. I hadn't read the book it was from, but when out and got the book to see for myself and was amazed at how bad is came out. The colorist made the piece look horrible, unfortunately.

I like my art to stand alone.

When I get a piece, it doesn't matter to me if I own the book it was published in. Usually, if I don't own the book I will go out and get it though. But I don't really want to frame theme together. In some cases the finished pieces look better than the OA...but not in many (or my) cases. My Immonen piece is the best example of this. I think the OA (it's a DPS from Thor) is awesome. I hadn't read the book it was from, but when out and got the book to see for myself and was amazed at how bad is came out. The colorist made the piece look horrible, unfortunately.

I like my art to stand alone.

Surtur looks great in that piece.

Always. It does help that I have a fair amount of comics :)

When I see a piece on eBay that I like and the scan is just too small, I whip out the comic so I can at least see the overall composition better.

Once acquired I put the piece in my portfolio next to a scan of the comic book page, with extra info about the page added.

A few examples :

th_PICT1091.jpgth_PICT1089.jpgth_PICT1088.jpgth_PICT1085.jpg

I also like the fact that with the printed page next to it you see how big OA really is

I always try to find the comic or magazine in which the artwork was published. I don't frame them side by side, but I just like to have it.

Ditto. Although some pieces I don't have the actual book for (the trade is fine for my Transmet and Sandman pieces).

I mostly collect OA from comics I had when I was younger, so I already have them in published form. I've thought about framing cover art side by side with the published versions, but not really any of the interior pages.

I used to buy the book my art was published in ... but then I never did anything with them. I have no desire to frame them side by side.

Eventually, by art collection got large enough that I stopped buying the published versions to hold on to. I've read 99% of the books my collection appeared in ... I just didn't hold on to them.

When you buy a published do you also like to get the finished product where the art appears? I usually try to get the finished product for my published pieces. If you do, do you like getting them framed side by side?

not sure why a collector wouldn't want the published version if he owns the original - but I'm not into them being framed together.

I agree that for a lot of comic art framing the published and original doesn't work so well. The framed piece becomes too large and the effect of one piece being in color and the other in B&W isn't so hot either. For the right piece of art though, it can work great... I just got this back from the framer's and was very happy with the decision to include the published piece. I think the smaller the publisher piece relative to the original the better in works. And when they are both color or B&w, but not mismatched, helps too IMO

47049-DSCN30780001a.JPG.81940bc9c4ba00d82fc1c9f4b0897c7a.JPG

I make it a point to get the published book that any piece I own was in. I've even bought extra copies of a book so that I'll have a copy to go with each piece if I ever sell them. I do plan on framing some pieces with the cover/page. There are a bunch of really cool frames with CGC slabs in this CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=37641

This is what I plan on doing with my Walking Dead and Dark Tower stuff. I liked the idea so much I contacted Matt to get info on how he had them done. I like that the slab has all of the info pertaining to the piece. I also like how the matting compliments the art.

On the other hand, I've seen some really beautifully framed OA that wouldn't look right in this configuration. To each his own I guess. rantrant

That's an interesting approach. Looks good with some of those pieces, like the Joker piece, but some of the others there is too much to look at IMO. Definitely a great alternative for the right piece though.

That's an interesting approach. Looks good with some of those pieces, like the Joker piece, but some of the others there is too much to look at IMO. Definitely a great alternative for the right piece though.

I agree. I think it works better for covers than with panel pages.

I make it a point to get the published book that any piece I own was in. I've even bought extra copies of a book so that I'll have a copy to go with each piece if I ever sell them. I do plan on framing some pieces with the cover/page. There are a bunch of really cool frames with CGC slabs in this CAF:

This is what I plan on doing with my Walking Dead and Dark Tower stuff. I liked the idea so much I contacted Matt to get info on how he had them done. I like that the slab has all of the info pertaining to the piece. I also like how the matting compliments the art.

On the other hand, I've seen some really beautifully framed OA that wouldn't look right in this configuration. To each his own I guess. rantrant

Thats some kick azz stuff man :golfclap:

Thats some kick azz stuff man :golfclap:

Yeah, I'd really love to own some of it. One day I'd like to make him a silly offer for the WD 16 cover. I don't have that kind of free cash now with twins on the way though. doh!