• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone get the $99 HD-DVD player at Wal-mart today?

173 posts in this topic

I picked one up this morning. There was a decent line, but I was #2 since I got there at 4am. Turned out I didn't need to get there that early but I didn't want to lose out. Gonna check out Batman Begins tonight! Anyone else get it? Or the laptop they had for sale?

It's nice that it is so cheap, but it doesn't output 1080p. =(

The Toshiba website says it does support 1080i Output. (shrug)

Toshiba A-2.

So does this review from late last year...

A-2 Review...back when it retailed for $499.

Is this a different, toned down version of the A-2 or what?

Does the PS3 Blue-Ray output 1080p ? They just dipped below $750 over here and I'm tempted hm

:whatthe:

The cheapest one here now is $400

But yeah, PS3 does 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

And is still considered the best Blu-Ray player out of all the ones on the market.

The Toshiba website says it does support 1080i Output. (shrug)

Toshiba A-2.

Not all movies/TV's support 1080i.

Does the PS3 Blue-Ray output 1080p ? They just dipped below $750 over here and I'm tempted hm

SHUT UP !!!!!!!

yeah I know :sorry:

A budget version was released last week as well, only $600 but with only a 40GB HD, one controller, no games and not able to play PS2 games like the other models

And is still considered the best Blu-Ray player out of all the ones on the market.

Well it was the best until a few months ago...I read a review that the new Panasonic has finally beaten the PS3 as best player, but it's almost twice the price though, so the PS3 still rules in my book

Circuit City was running a special last week where you could get a 40" Sony LCD (1080i) TV, a PS3, and installation for $1999.

The tv itself retails for $1999...so you were basically getting the PS3 for $0.

I was thinking about it, but didn't pull the trigger.....

SHUT UP !!!!!!!

yeah I know :sorry:

A budget version was released last week as well, only $600 but with only a 40GB HD, one controller, no games and not able to play PS2 games like the other models

Ouch, yeah, the 40GB sucks compared to the 60/80 GB versions.

Well it was the best until a few months ago...I read a review that the new Panasonic has finally beaten the PS3 as best player, but it's almost twice the price though, so the PS3 still rules in my book

Oh, didn't know of that one.

Yeah, PS3 :cloud9:

Circuit City was running a special last week where you could get a 40" Sony LCD (1080i) TV, a PS3, and installation for $1999.

I saw that in Sundays paper... killer deal :(

Best Buy ran a similar special a few weeks ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar, if not entirely better, deal for Black Friday from either or both Best Buy and CC.

Best Buy ran a similar special a few weeks ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar, if not entirely better, deal for Black Friday from either or both Best Buy and CC.

Good point

I am not sure what to buy, HD-DVD player or Blue-Ray DVD player?
It's really down to personal preference,

I prefer Blu-Ray.

HD-DVD has only two companies which are HD-DVD exclusive, Universal, and Paramount.

Sony is Blu-Ray ONLY

While all the other movie companies are universal between the two formates.

Also, even though Blu-Ray is selling more (2-1) HD DVD does have a bigger selection, because it's easier for the companies to use them, but when BD profile 1.1 or 2.0 comes out Blu-Ray will get much better.