• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone get the $99 HD-DVD player at Wal-mart today?

173 posts in this topic

I would hate to buy a Blue Ray DVD player and it go down like BETA.
Even if they did lose, Playstation 3 will still use the formate.

At least with a PS3 system you aren't SOLed if you have Blu-Ray movies aswell.

Their still HD, hehe.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/

Good place for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray info

I recently purchased the only true 50" 1080p Plasma TV on the market made by Panasonic.

I don't own a PS3 and have no intentions of buying one but I do own a 360 with the HD-DVD add-on.

Here's the problem...

The 360 IS capable of 1080p with or without the HD-DVD drive BUT you're only going to get 1080p through HDMI. My 360 does not have an HDMI port like the newer ones do so unless I buy a newer 360 (which I may do anyway) I'm stuck with 1080i. Microsoft claims on their web site that you can get 1080p through the VGA cable but I was not able to for some reason.

Now, keep this in mind... most fast moving images actually look better under 720p rather than 1080i and also NO ONE is broadcasting 1080p yet. The only way you're going to get 1080p is from a player wth HDMI.

Another thing to consider is that Blu-ray is continuing to have repeated problems with their players and disks. Why? Because many of the players lack an ethernet port to easily upgrade the firmware in them.

This is why the Fantastic Four 2 Blu-ray disk caused so many problems with Samsung players as the players needed a firmware upgrade.

ALL HD-DVD players have ethernet ports.

Toshiba has been giving away King Kong or whichever with all players for some time now plus 5 free HD-DVD movies which you mail in for.

Sony within the last week is now offering Spider-man 3 with the purchase of a PS3 and 5 movies that you mail in for. Mainly they are doing this now to try and catch up to what Toshiba has been doing for months.

Now, am I happy with all of my purchases? Sure! Am I disappointed that some movies I'd like to have are on Blu-ray only? Sure again! It's safe to say though that with Sony's history of failed media formats that I probably picked the better choice.

Also keep this in mind... Sony just lost over 60 titles in their Blu-ray line-up with the loss of Viacom. (Paramount and Dreamworks). The titles they already have out there will no longer be produced as Blu-ray disks and once they are all sold, that's it!

The cost of producing Blu-ray disks is still extremely high and cost of production will be the deciding factor in my opinion. We'll see what Warner does by years end as I have a feeling that they will ditch Blu-ray as well.

Oh and for any of you that will make the claim that Microsoft paid Viacom to leave... that claim has been categorically denied by both Microsoft and Viacom. Instead... ask Sony who's been subsidizing the production of Blu-ray disks because the costs are so high? That would be Sony.

I recently purchased the only true 50" 1080p Plasma TV on the market made by Panasonic.

I don't own a PS3 and have no intentions of buying one but I do own a 360 with the HD-DVD add-on.

Here's the problem...

The 360 IS capable of 1080p with or without the HD-DVD drive BUT you're only going to get 1080p through HDMI. My 360 does not have an HDMI port like the newer ones do so unless I buy a newer 360 (which I may do anyway) I'm stuck with 1080i. Microsoft claims on their web site that you can get 1080p through the VGA cable but I was not able to for some reason.

Now, keep this in mind... most fast moving images actually look better under 720p rather than 1080i and also NO ONE is broadcasting 1080p yet. The only way you're going to get 1080p is from a player wth HDMI.

Another thing to consider is that Blu-ray is continuing to have repeated problems with their players and disks. Why? Because many of the players lack an ethernet port to easily upgrade the firmware in them.

This is why the Fantastic Four 2 Blu-ray disk caused so many problems with Samsung players as the players needed a firmware upgrade.

ALL HD-DVD players have ethernet ports.

Toshiba has been giving away King Kong or whichever with all players for some time now plus 5 free HD-DVD movies which you mail in for.

Sony within the last week is now offering Spider-man 3 with the purchase of a PS3 and 5 movies that you mail in for. Mainly they are doing this now to try and catch up to what Toshiba has been doing for months.

Now, am I happy with all of my purchases? Sure! Am I disappointed that some movies I'd like to have are on Blu-ray only? Sure again! It's safe to say though that with Sony's history of failed media formats that I probably picked the better choice.

Also keep this in mind... Sony just lost over 60 titles in their Blu-ray line-up with the loss of Viacom. (Paramount and Dreamworks). The titles they already have out there will no longer be produced as Blu-ray disks and once they are all sold, that's it!

The cost of producing Blu-ray disks is still extremely high and cost of production will be the deciding factor in my opinion. We'll see what Warner does by years end as I have a feeling that they will ditch Blu-ray as well.

Oh and for any of you that will make the claim that Microsoft paid Viacom to leave... that claim has been categorically denied by both Microsoft and Viacom. Instead... ask Sony who's been subsidizing the production of Blu-ray disks because the costs are so high? That would be Sony.

Indeed, Microsoft did not pay Viacom, it was from what I hear, Toshiba. ;)

180 Million for 18 months, I am sure once the contract is over, they will go back to both HD and Blu-Ray.

Though I have no clue on how the Firmware works for SA players, I am sure there are other ways to upgrade the players firmware, just because they lack a Ethernet port don't mean their useless.

As for the cost of Blu-Ray, yeah it's higher, but HD DVD and Blu-Ray prices are still the same for in stores, heck I was in Wal-Mart and they had blu-ray movies for $19 to $20. pretty cheap for a BD. (i.e Halloween, Hostel II)

Also, don't forget, you can buy used Blu-Ray movies, from $13 to $20.

You don't have to buy them brand new.

Well, Silvers, I know you're a huge Sony supporter so there's no need in us getting into it. Viacom will not go back to Blu-ray as they have already stated that the cost of production was the major factor in which format they use.

I'll try and make this short and simple...

To produce HD-DVD disk all it took was a simple retooling of the equipment that was already making regular DVD disks.

To produce Blu-ray disks entire plants had to be built from the ground up! Also... the third party companies trying to produce disks are having a 90% failure rate! That means that 90% of what they produce goes into the garbage!

All in all the total cost of producing a Blu-ray disk has been estimated to be as high as $20! No big company is going to continue to produce anything that they make such a small margin on. That is why Sony has already been subsidizing the production because if they weren't the studios would have already bailed on the whole thing.

Yes firmware can be upgraded on stand alone players but it requires burning the upgrade to a disk off your computer and putting it in the player.

People forget that in this day and age there are still MANY people that are not computer savy enough to even turn on a computer, much less burn a disk to upgrade a movie player.

Oh and I'd like to note also... If you buy the player from Wal-mart for $99 you still will get the 5 free movies by mail. This basically makes the player FREE! :cloud9:

Oh and I'd like to note also... If you buy the player from Wal-mart for $99 you still will get the 5 free movies by mail. This basically makes the player FREE!

Yep. That's why it was a no-brainer as to which format to go with. I mean, five movies and a player that retailed last year for $499 for a measly $99? Not a tough one. Heck, even if you like Blu Ray, Toshiba just made it easy for you to own both.

BTW, if anyone needs a link to the 5 Free movie Coupon by mail, click here (thumbs u

Well, Silvers, I know you're a huge Sony supporter so there's no need in us getting into it. Viacom will not go back to Blu-ray as they have already stated that the cost of production was the major factor in which format they use.

I'll try and make this short and simple...

To produce HD-DVD disk all it took was a simple retooling of the equipment that was already making regular DVD disks.

To produce Blu-ray disks entire plants had to be built from the ground up! Also... the third party companies trying to produce disks are having a 90% failure rate! That means that 90% of what they produce goes into the garbage!

All in all the total cost of producing a Blu-ray disk has been estimated to be as high as $20! No big company is going to continue to produce anything that they make such a small margin on. That is why Sony has already been subsidizing the production because if they weren't the studios would have already bailed on the whole thing.

Yes firmware can be upgraded on stand alone players but it requires burning the upgrade to a disk off your computer and putting it in the player.

People forget that in this day and age there are still MANY people that are not computer savy enough to even turn on a computer, much less burn a disk to upgrade a movie player.

Oh and I'd like to note also... If you buy the player from Wal-mart for $99 you still will get the 5 free movies by mail. This basically makes the player FREE! :cloud9:

If the person is venturing off into the new world of technology, specially HD, then you'd think they could learn, or know how to use a PC. Specially burning. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to burn something.

Though, the older you are, then perhaps the chances are that will be likely.

(i.e. My mom, lol).

But the 5 free HD movies with the player is a good deal.

As for production costs, just as DVD, eventually Blu-Ray will become cheaper, and easier to use, give it time. Blu-Ray will not die, soon anyway.

Specially with the PS3 which uses it for games.

And yes, I know, most game companies have had headaches with the PS3 since it was created.

Oh and I'd like to note also... If you buy the player from Wal-mart for $99 you still will get the 5 free movies by mail. This basically makes the player FREE!

Yep. That's why it was a no-brainer as to which format to go with. I mean, five movies and a player that retailed last year for $499 for a measly $99? Not a tough one. Heck, even if you like Blu Ray, Toshiba just made it easy for you to own both.

BTW, if anyone needs a link to the 5 Free movie Coupon by mail, click here (thumbs u

I would go with both formates in a heart beat, some HD-DVD movies I really wish to own.

Okay, after reading through this thread, I've come to a conclusion...

I'm sticking to my regular DVDs :tonofbricks:

There's no way I'm rebuying my 800+ DVDs in either Blue Ray or HD DVD. I went through this once with my VHS collection and have no desire to do it again. If they make a player that is compatible with both my regular DVDs and say an HD DVD, then we'll see. I'd maybe begin buying some NEW titles in that format, but I'm perfectly happy with the quality of my regular DVDs.

There's no way I'm rebuying my 800+ DVDs in either Blue Ray or HD DVD. I went through this once with my VHS collection and have no desire to do it again. If they make a player that is compatible with both my regular DVDs and say an HD DVD, then we'll see. I'd maybe begin buying some NEW titles in that format, but I'm perfectly happy with the quality of my regular DVDs.

(thumbs u

Blu-Ray Players and HD-DVD players do play DVD's, and CD's.

No way in hell would I "rebuy" everything on Blu-Ray or HD DVD.

When I have the DVD versions already.

Here's a problem I see with my beloved 60GB Playstation 3:

I cannot control it with a standard infrared learning remote. So my TV, receiver, DVD player, Tivo, HD cable company box, etc. all work with a single remote. Then I have to drag out either the PS3 joystick OR buy the Sony PS3 Blu-Ray remote. That only works with Bluetooth. Which to me is pretty silly.

Here's why Blu-Ray wins though overall:

1. One can go buy a Blu-Ray burner and dump their home movies they shot with a HDV camcorder to it.

2. One can go buy a Blu-Ray burner, period. I challenge anyone on here to find me a HD-DVD burner that's for sale. I can find the HD-DVD media just fine, but no actual HD-DVD writers.

3. There was an announcement last week about the soon to be released dual layer dual-sided 100GB Blu-Ray disc. I could put lots of stuff on that one.

4. For what's available now, 25/50 GB beats 15/30, especially with the higher bitrate that Blu-Ray supports.

I had a blu-ray burner for a month and sold it used for the same as what I paid for it. It's just too damn slow right now to burn blu-ray discs.

Do the HD players usually do upconversion of regular DVDs to 1080i?

The Xbox 360 HD DVD player does. I am not sure about the other ones.

It's nice that it is so cheap, but it doesn't output 1080p. =(

The Toshiba website says it does support 1080i Output. (shrug)

Yeah, but...so? 1080i is not 1080p. (shrug)

But it's really, really close and I bet 99 out of 100 people can't tell the difference.

It's nice that it is so cheap, but it doesn't output 1080p. =(

The Toshiba website says it does support 1080i Output. (shrug)

Yeah, but...so? 1080i is not 1080p. (shrug)

Nope, The "P" stands for Progressive. It will double the resolution on the screen and make the picture more stable. Always go for Progressive.

Do the HD players usually do upconversion of regular DVDs to 1080i?

Yes but it's not real HD. The color will look better but real HD will always look better.You can still keep your dvds since blu-ray and HD DVD are just evolved from dvds.

Blu-Ray and HD Players will "Upconvert" your dvds,so you don't have to "rebuy"everything when everyone went VHS to DVD.

Blu-Ray disks have been kicking the snot out of HD DVD sales-wise for almost a year. And the HDDVD numbers were augmented by free giveaways...

I'm sorry but Tosiba's recent moves smells of desperation. The free movie giveaways, paying two studios big bucks for exclusive rights (and the 18 month sign-up is void after 6 months should the studios opt out), and now the cut rate sale...

By the way, Warner hasn't hinted on what format they will choose or even if they will go exclusive. Just that they are going to re-evaluate their dual format support. It could very well be the HDDVD judging by prior poor sales...

Just doesn't fill me with confidence...

Jim