• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone get the $99 HD-DVD player at Wal-mart today?

173 posts in this topic

But I agree, removing the EE chip was the most stupidest thing they did.

No, the 80GB GPU+software emulation is fine, and addresses the majority of new PS2 games, but that evil little 40GB devil-machine is a horrible idea and I hear that returns are much higher for that, as many consumers expect it to be PS1/PS2-compatible, not some hobbled version.

Sony will regret going so cheap on the 40GB, guaranteed.

Neither me or my son have played PS2 games on-line (he may have played Tony Hawk). All have been PS3s.

doh!doh!doh!

Ummm, Jim, any PS3 is 100% compatible with PS3 games.

I've played plenty of PS1 and PS2 games on the system...just not on-line play with these old version games...

Currently finishing up Tomb Raider: Anniversary... (thumbs u

Jim

"Technically, these are equivalent (they can use the same codecs and capacity is not an issue), but as HD-DVD uses the superior VC-1 and most BR titles use old-school MPEG-2, HD-DVD looks and sounds better."

Don't try and explain this to a Sony Fanboy...they are convinced they have a better picture. Also, the reason Bluray has the larger disk space was to accomodate the compressed audio format they use. They are not Dolby DTS, TrueHD compliant and you can really hear the difference.

Love my PS3 though...gaming's awesome, its just not a machine to design your home theater around.

Love my PS3 though...gaming's awesome, its just not a machine to design your home theater around.

Agreed, and I just don't get this "I bought a PS3 so I I must be a BR fanboy" mentality. I own one for gaming, but plan on buying a HD-DVD for movies. (shrug)

Actually I spent $22,000 over the last few weeks having a theatre installed (finished last Thursday) with stadium seating and starting from absolute scratch and it's all designed around a PS3, which happens to be the best Blu player on the market. I did all my homework, and picked the best of the best of equipment and thats what I came up with.

I'm not a Sony Fanboy to even begin with, I've always defended Nintendo to anybody who would listen :)

Jim

Agreed, and I just don't get this "I bought a PS3 so I I must be a BR fanboy" mentality. I own one for gaming, but plan on buying a HD-DVD for movies. (shrug)

I am going neutral, as I stated before. Each side has a little bit of everything, if you're neutral that is.

But BD is my first in the next gen nonetheless.

Also, I have NEVER had a problem playing a PS2 game online. But then again, I have the 60gb version.

Give Sony a bit more time, we haven't even hit the big 2.0 update.

From what I've read on this, the reason Blu-ray 2.0 may never hit is because when and if it does two different problems will arise. First off, many of the current players (non-PS3's) will not be able to upgrade to the new format, even with a firmware upgrade. This means that those machines will be completely obsolete.

The other thing that I've read on this is that current disks (not necessarily all of them) will be unusuable on upgraded players.

This has been a big problem internally with Sony for awhile and until a resolution is found you may never see 2.0.

From what I've read on this, the reason Blu-ray 2.0 may never hit is because when and if it does two different problems will arise. First off, many of the current players (non-PS3's) will not be able to upgrade to the new format, even with a firmware upgrade. This means that those machines will be completely obsolete.

The other thing that I've read on this is that current disks (not necessarily all of them) will be unusuable on upgraded players.

This has been a big problem internally with Sony for awhile and until a resolution is found you may never see 2.0.

Actually, I meant the PlayStation 3 firmWare 2.0 update :P

All I know is that BD Profile 1.1 is due soon, and yeah, Sony has some big problems ahead with the new "upgrades", but they may be able to pull it off.

Actually, I meant the PlayStation 3 firmWare 2.0 update :P

All I know is that BD Profile 1.1 is due soon, and yeah, Sony has some big problems ahead with the new "upgrades", but they may be able to pull it off.

I know a lot of people bash Sony, but I've had nothing but great luck with them. When I first bought a true 1080i HD LCD back in 2003 I was paranoid about spending that kind of money, but it's been wonderful for 4 years. My HDV camcorder is Sony, plus my digital camera + PS3.

I need to get a Sony tattoo.

I know a lot of people bash Sony, but I've had nothing but great luck with them.

I love Sony hardware as well, but I despise their attempts at controlling an entire technology - it's usually half-baked and expensive as 'ell. Please see BR 1.1.

For example, I own a Sony DVD player and a PS3, among other Sony crepe, but I'll never buy a BR movie if I can possibly help it.

Here's a link on the technical side of Blu vs HD (the reason I said it was minutely better)

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6326

Oh man, not that one again. The guy is a well-known Sony/BR/PS3-fanboy and has even stated so in the past. That's why he starts off with the:

"Now, one could argue that I gave HD DVD lower ratings from bias, but I can assure you that’s not the case. I simply report what I see."

meh

Now, I am not saying that some movies don't look better on BR, or on HD-DVD, as they do, but only that this guy is in Sony's hip pocket, and what you "see" is entirely subjective.