• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GC's EC weekly Story Thread

169 posts in this topic

Hi Folks.

Thought it might be a decent idea to post a weekly story for everyone's perusal and hopeful enjoyment.

In the spirit of Hallowe'en I've dug this one out.

A Classic story from an original copy of SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES # 9 published in 1953 by EC.

Enjoy!

SS9AAA.jpg

SS9AAAA.jpg

SS9AAAAA.jpg

SS9AAAAAA.jpg

SS9AAAAAAA.jpg

SS9AAAAAAAA.jpg

SS9AAAAAAAAA.jpg

SS9AAAAAAAAAA.jpg

Not that interesting. Back when I was trying to be a writer or something, I wrote to him asking if I could write his biography, since I was a big fan of his work (this was before that big photo-filled expensive one came out). Like anybody trying to get someone to reach him, I included my phone # on the letterhead.

Well, about 9:00 one night HE CALLED ME and asked for me by name; when I said, 'Speaking,' he said, "Hi, Todd, this is Ray Bradbury." I instantly recognized the voice and expected him to finish, "and this is the Ray Bradbury Theater."

I was floored and pleased. We talked for about fifteen minutes. He asked me about my aspirations and so forth; asked me how old I was, and when I told him (I was about 28 at the time), he said, 'Oh, you're so young, you have plenty of time to do what you want to do in life.'

Anyway, eventually the call ended, but it was very friendly and pleasant and I was on cloud 9 for the rest of the night. He begged off about the biography, though - he said he was already cooperating with someone else to do one, and indeed it came out not long after. A few days later I got a letter on very Halloween-y letterhead confirming the information.

So that's one hero I got to meet! Maybe I should write Stan Lee next...