• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay BIN concerns

318 posts in this topic

I was listing items in my store and of course I selected 'sell another similar item' upon completion of my first listing. I went through it, changed the title name so that the correct price was in the title but forgot to change the BIN price doh!

After I submitted the auction I quickly noticed my mistake but by then someone had already BIN the book and tried to send me the money realizing the fantastic deal he would have scored. I refunded his money but I can't seem to find a way to inform eBay that the auction was an error and information couldn't be changed before a seller pounced upon an opportunity. Is there a procedure to follow to let eBay know what happened? They seem to offer help on everything but...

:frustrated:

Son of a @#$%. The buyer keeps trying to send money to my paypal account despite the fact that I've refunded his paypal three times already. I think this is going to get nasty. I have no concerns taking a negative hit but I don't know why he insist that he pays immediately especially after I've sent him two emails explaining why it was a mistake. :sumo::censored:

I would be one angry buyer if a seller reneged on a sale, no matter what the excuse was. Once an auction is completed that sale should a done deal. I know that's not what you want to hear, biu I think it's only fair. I sold books with buy it nows and have made errors in the bin price, but I stuck to the sale.

Sadly i have heard of this situation happening before. You can either take the loss or the neg or if you are lucky you'll have an understanding buyer. Once an item is sold there isn't really a way to go back unless you report the item for being fraudulent (even after it has ended) in which eBay would remove it.

You could try sending them a standard e-mail. Not sure how much help it would be though :sorry:

That sucks, the buyer is hoping that maintaining positive feedback is more valuable than the book you sold to them.

I don't know how, but it can probably be resolved with out a negative. Even if he does try to neg you, I belive thereply you can leave to negative feedbacks would speak volumes in this case.

Good luck with it.

I would be one angry buyer if a seller reneged on a sale, no matter what the excuse was. Once an auction is completed that sale should a done deal. I know that's not what you want to hear, biu I think it's only fair. I sold books with buy it nows and have made errors in the bin price, but I stuck to the sale.

I agree but it all depends on the circumstances. If he sold a $1000 book for $1 then no way he should go through with it. If it was a small loss then just let the buyer get the book and chalk it up as a lesson learned but yes i would be angry but probably understanding.

Of course a small mistake, you eat it and try to gain a customer, but not not always or in the case of a big misunderstanding. The greater evil here is the person trying to take advantage and get something for nothing (or next to nothing). The buyer knows it was a mistake, and just wants to take advantage of someone's misfortune. Is that being "fair"?

You don't owe that person anything but a return of thier money and an appology. It is also not the type of person that needs to be given a break.

The title of the listing even says $225.. Give me a break, the buyer is the an oppurtunist (sp).

In this case, I would try to work out a settlement with the buyer. Maybe split the difference. If he refuses, then even more proof that they are a chump. Take the neg.

I understand your problem. I listed an X-men 250 9.8 for sale on eBay. The auction closed and the winning bidder paid his money. The only problem was that I had already sold the 250 and had not remembered selling it.

I said nothing and sent him my Winnipeg copy instead. Live and learn. :sorry:

So instead of selling something for $225 I should be understanding and give it up for $125? No, I will not be penalized for a mistake that was made and unable to be changed due to being a bit slow on hitting the button. I'm a human and I make mistakes. If this listing was 1 hour old or so I'd agree but this is just a common human goof.

The title of the listing even says $225.. Give me a break, the buyer is the an oppurtunist (sp).

In this case, I would try to work out a settlement with the buyer. Maybe split the difference. If he refuses, then even more proof that they are a chump. Take the neg.

Well I could try that. I have emailed him three times and have yet to get a response. Each time I refund his paypal money he sends it right back at me. I tried sending a mutual 'unpaid' dispute but he rejected it. So I think he just wants to get this book $100 cheaper then listed price. I'm not sure why he thinks I'll concede after three attempts to be rational with the situation. I'll just take the negative and when he gets pissed about no book, refund his money a fourth time. doh!

i think you did fine! give money back and tell them nice try. it is clear that the asking was 225$ being that the tittle is the first thing you see! the person knew that and needs to either pay the 225 or deal with the fact he isnt getting 1 over on you.

Well I could try that. I have emailed him three times and have yet to get a response. Each time I refund his paypal money he sends it right back at me. I tried sending a mutual 'unpaid' dispute but he rejected it. So I think he just wants to get this book $100 cheaper then listed price. I'm not sure why he thinks I'll concede after three attempts to be rational with the situation. I'll just take the negative and when he gets pissed about no book, refund his money a fourth time. doh!

Actually, it appears quite clear that the buyer is trying to get one over. I wouldn't even offer to settle at this point.

I'm sorry this happened to you, Whet, but I agree with Black Hand totally, I've had that happen a few times, because sometimes I haunt the bins when it's early...once the seller stuck to the sale and I've been a loyal customer of hers for years after, we became buddies because I was so impressed with her attitude...3 other times, the sellers reneged, and they were not SUCH steals that I felt it made sense, I agreed to back out, but I wasn't really wasn't pleased...it was a waste of my time.

I've honestly gotten some great deals on bins, and it's really hard to tell if there is a mistake...sometimes I hesitate just in case and someone else grabs them. Usually Steal a Comic, he also haunts the BIN list...

To the best of my knowlege, Ebay considers it a sale, it's up the buyer as to whether they will let you out.

The $225 in the title could have been confusing, btw...I see titles with thousands in the title...and the price is pennies on the $$, the title is just for show...One thought, perhaps you could get his Ebay info and call him? He might not understand how you feel. :wishluck:

Man that stinks!!! If your grade of VF is solid that (225.) is a great price!!! I might have pulled the trigger when you listed it in your for sale thread!!! I have a copy but its really gross and i would like a better one. But i have swore off back issues for a few months. But 125. is a gift. All the buyer is thinking is he can flip it closer to the movie for alot more!!! Sorry about your mistake!!!