• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay BIN concerns

318 posts in this topic

He kept on sending payment when it was pretty obvious, by the seller returning his payment, that the listing was a mistake. So the buyer is trying to argue the letter of the law "you listed it that way, whether it's a mistake or not, I won the auction so fork it over."

As a seller, I am not intersted in this buyer's future business.

A reasonable person would enter into a discussion with the seller re: what would be a legitimate resolution.

if the buyer had contacted me and said, "hey, perhaps you made a mistake in thise auction, perhaps you can sell it to me at an attractive price in lieu of the circumstances", I say "fine".

But I'm not into rewarding someone who pulls the "screw you honor your deal" argument". The greater good and the greater justice is served by blowing such a tool off.

Those of you who hold this position the seller should eat his obvious mistake, I'm sure there is some price point that you would do the same thing with one of your books for sale. Eat $50? Not a big deal. Sell you GS X-Men CGC 9.4 for $100 because you erred in the decimal point? Not likely.

I'm sure you will be so understandable if you hit a BIN and the seller refuses to sell it to you. Yeah, you'll be perfectly rational.

Its pretty obvious the buyer is crafty, no debate there. And honestly if I screwed up and missed a decimal like in your example, yes I would honor the sale. I would feel like kaka for a while but I would still honor it.

Lets face it, the majority here hunt Ebay up and down for bargains, the buyer saw one and snagged it.

Screw the buyer. By sending the paypal payment multiple times, he's obviously a weasel. Don't reward arseholes. Any reasonable person would understand. Take the neg. If they want to pull "these are the rules" then fine, accept the penalty for not following the rules- THOSE are the rules.

Why? It's not like it was listed for a buck. If the typical comic collector were to factor in the usual ebay-bump grading system, it's actually a fair price. How's the buyer supposed to know that this seller has a clue about grading?

I'm going to change the forum bin price if it sells too cheaply now. Screw the buyer.

Yes, those were the circumstances of whet's sale. meh

So, you admit there was a sale? Buyer pays but he's a weasel in your eyes. Boo hoo for whet.

"I'm going to change the forum BIN price if it sells too cheaply"

Yeah, the auction ended so early that whet decided he must have priced it too low, so he decided he''d change the BIN price. meh

Screw the buyer. By sending the paypal payment multiple times, he's obviously a weasel. Don't reward arseholes. Any reasonable person would understand. Take the neg. If they want to pull "these are the rules" then fine, accept the penalty for not following the rules- THOSE are the rules.

Why? It's not like it was listed for a buck. If the typical comic collector were to factor in the usual ebay-bump grading system, it's actually a fair price. How's the buyer supposed to know that this seller has a clue about grading?

I'm going to change the forum bin price if it sells too cheaply now. Screw the buyer.

So, you admit there was a sale? Buyer pays but he's a weasel in your eyes. Boo hoo for whet.

Yeah, the auction ended so early that whet decided he must have priced it too low, so he decided he''d change the BIN price. meh

Being facetious but of course that went over your head. It's call living up to his sale. We're not even talking about a decimal issue. Maybe next time on eBay I'll use any excuse that I forgot to put on a reserve and it sold too cheaply. But, then again, who cares, the buyer's a weasel. Hope you don't get screwed by a seller and start crying about it. However, knowing the boards, the seller will be a weasel in that case. Later, I'm out. Have fun outing these weasel buyers who pay right away. lol

Its pretty obvious the buyer is crafty, no debate there. And honestly if I screwed up and missed a decimal like in your example, yes I would honor the sale. I would feel like kaka for a while but I would still honor it.

Lets face it, the majority here hunt Ebay up and down for bargains, the buyer saw one and snagged it.

I would say this more an example of a buyer looking to take advantage of a mistake, not a bargain, so he is an opportunist looking to take advantage of someone.

To me, the greater imperative is not to reward a bidder/buyer who acts the buyer in whet's auction. It is not the same thing as deciding the price you received for your auction item did not reach the level you ahd hoped it would. I've auctioned books with $200 FMV and gotten a high bid of $50. I sold it for the $50. The buyer got a bargain. I have had many auctions in which it would have greatly benefited me to not sell the item for what it went for.

Now if we turn this around and your athe one the one who hit the BIN, how would you deal with the seller, and why? I'm guessing somewhere in response will be "the fair thing to do is..."

I think alot of you are forgetting that there was a price listed in the auction title...although the BiN was incorrect the the title gave the actual "asking" price...the seller (Whet) has a good argument for messing up the listing thus voiding the sale.... hm

Being facetious but of course that went over your head. It's call living up to his sale. We're not even talking about a decimal issue. Maybe next time on eBay I'll use any excuse that I forgot to put on a reserve and it sold too cheaply. But, then again, who cares, the buyer's a weasel. Hope you don't get screwed by a seller and start crying about it. However, knowing the boards, the seller will be a weasel in that case. Later, I'm out. Have fun outing these weasel buyers who pay right away. lol

real adult.

And clearly I'm in over my head arguing with you. Your rhetorical abilities are so profound.

He kept on sending payment when it was pretty obvious, by the seller returning his payment, that the listing was a mistake. So the buyer is trying to argue the letter of the law "you listed it that way, whether it's a mistake or not, I won the auction so fork it over."

As a seller, I am not intersted in this buyer's future business.

A reasonable person would enter into a discussion with the seller re: what would be a legitimate resolution.

if the buyer had contacted me and said, "hey, perhaps you made a mistake in thise auction, perhaps you can sell it to me at an attractive price in lieu of the circumstances", I say "fine".

But I'm not into rewarding someone who pulls the "screw you honor your deal" argument". The greater good and the greater justice is served by blowing such a tool off.

Those of you who hold this position the seller should eat his obvious mistake, I'm sure there is some price point that you would do the same thing with one of your books for sale. Eat $50? Not a big deal. Sell you GS X-Men CGC 9.4 for $100 because you erred in the decimal point? Not likely.

I'm sure you will be so understandable if you hit a BIN and the seller refuses to sell it to you. Yeah, you'll be perfectly rational.

I wouldn't give 2 sheets about it. I'd be happy I was the one so the seller wouldn't have to deal with a tool like you. Some of us don't live and breathe comic books.

real adult.

And clearly I'm in over my head arguing with you. Your rhetorical abilities are so profound.

Well said that man :golfclap:

I think his post count has gone to his head, the fact that 99% of it is schoolboy gibberish is lost on him.

Also, putting a lol after something you've said does not mean its funny...thats for other people to decide. (tsk)

The real lesson learned here is.....Dont ask forumites for their opinion on matters of ethics and morality. You will get as many answers as there are people answering.

Do what you think is right. Only the future will tell if you make the right decision.

Karma is a *spoon* but she is fair.

I think alot of you are forgetting that there was a price listed in the auction title...although the BiN was incorrect the the title gave the actual "asking" price...the seller (Whet) has a good argument for messing up the listing thus voiding the sale.... hm

How many sellers list book value $5 million hundred dollars in their title yet the BIN is 50 bucks???

Marketing on ebay 101

Tell the buyer what it's worth in the title and then sell it to them for less.

I'm sorry, but when you list an item on ebay you have to go through a couple pages of poop to verify your auction looks correct, do you want to list it like this, is the sale price correct, are you sure, blah blah blah.

Some times you gotta eat one, and this looks like one of those times.

Whet, have you contacted eBay to see what they say? Are there any guidelines that eBay has in place to protect the seller who makes a mistake? I don't think you'll get any responses here that will solve this SNAFU, and since the buyer obviously wants you to follow through with this sale, it seems to me like this is the sort of situation where you will want to get them involved. :shrug:

The real lesson learned here is.....Dont ask forumites for their opinion on matters of ethics and morality. You will get as many answers as there are people answering.

Do what you think is right. Only the future will tell if you make the right decision.

Most honest advice I have seen in this thread.

I'm as honest as they come!!!... :makepoint:

Looks more like a FN to me, I'd say take the buck and a quarter, and move along. :grin:

(worship)