• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$$$$$$$ Turtles

93 posts in this topic

Yes, understood...but maybe i'm not elucidating my point well enough. What does the popularity of the TMNT themselves, and all the success of the merchandise, have to do with this comic? and YES, i'm serious. I bet MOST of the kids that grew up with these turtles, didn't even KNOW they started in a comic book?

I sucess of the characters and franchise I can understand, but its the BOOK I cannot for the life of me get? Why is the BOOK valuable? The overall proliferation of the franchise, has almost ZERO to do with the original comic book? and as I personally believe, I seriously doubt, the majority of those same 'kids' that grew up with these characters from TOYS, FILMS, and CARTOONS...are actively seeking this book?

I'm sorry, call me what you may, I just don't get it zzz

That is a poor argument, as the same can be said for Spider-Man today. How many kids that enjoy the TOYS, FILMS, and CARTOONS know about and actually read the comics?

Actually, with all due respect, YOUR analogy is far more poor. SPIDER-Man, came out in 1963, and the COMIC was the ONLY way you could find entertainment involving the character. There were NO cartoons, NO toys, NO films, ect, ect....it makes a TON more sense why Spider-man COMICS are popular, IMO...and the same goes for many other "comic" related characters.

Now, what about these fools? what's the RATIONAL excuse? other than what BEYONDER wrote about "investor" collectors basically CREATING a market?

hm

Spider-Man first appearance in 1962, TV in 1967.

TMNT first appearance in 1984, TV in late 1987.

and, of course, there was absolutely no other Spider-Man merchandise available in the 60s. meh

BTW, if only 1% of the fans from TMNT's peak wanted a copy of their first appearance anywhere, the demand would far outstrip the supply, especially in HG.

Do you think that part of the value may come from that fact that this comic is the first appearance of the TMNT in any form? Most other icons from this period, he-man, transformers, Gi Joe and even star wars all made their appearances in TV or movies before they went over to comics(to the best of my knowledge). Just a thought to throw out there.

i thought i read somewhere that the Star Wars comic hit the stands before the start of the movie

Wow, Shin. I think that is the closest I have seen you come to a smack down. lol

Hey.. he called me a fanboy. (shrug) Just a friendly dig done with the utmost restraint and politeness... (thumbs u

Of course, I DO Have 15 or so copies of #3 and #4 (out of 30+) pre-screened for 9.6s by Supapimp and Jimm94... hm

Do you think that part of the value may come from that fact that this comic is the first appearance of the TMNT in any form? Most other icons from this period, he-man, transformers, Gi Joe and even star wars all made their appearances in TV or movies before they went over to comics(to the best of my knowledge). Just a thought to throw out there.

i thought i read somewhere that the Star Wars comic hit the stands before the start of the movie

I don't think the comics did but book adaptions were out before the movie.

The Empire Strikes Back comics adaption was released a few weeks before the movie opened. Wasn't supposed to be distributed until afterwards. The story goes that Hamill saw the adaption on the shelves and raised hell since the movie ended on a fairly significant plot point...

Jim

I think its a great book. But as a buyer, as scarce as it is in HG due to the black and low print run, etc etc, I am a bit troubled by there being 6 9.6 copies already. Were these owned by Eastman and Laird like Dave Sim kep 12 copies of Cerebus#1? Is that why so many?

I think its a great book. But as a buyer, as scarce as it is in HG due to the black and low print run, etc etc, I am a bit troubled by there being 6 9.6 copies already. Were these owned by Eastman and Laird like Dave Sim kep 12 copies of Cerebus#1? Is that why so many?

Yes, I am also more than a little surprised at how much this book goes for, considering the number of already slabbed HG copies out there. Interesting to note that OS no longer has a price valuation on this book in his annual price guide.

I still remember the owner of a LCS out here showing me a HG copy back in the late 80's that he had just ordered in for a customer of his. For another customer, he also had a copy of the MIller signed and numbered Dark Knight hardcover that was limited to a 4,000 print run.

I believe they were both priced at around the same price of a few hundred dollars. I looked at the artwork for the TMNT and thought it was just a POS. Didn't see any real upside in this book as compared to the Miller limited Batman book.

Boy, was I ever wrong even though I still think the artwork on the TMNT is very crude and just not my cup of tea. doh!

yeah. it was a sensation from day one but merely as an interesting oddity; a parody book whose existence rested solely on th epopularity of Miller's DD. But, whether by design, or in spite of its artistic limitations, the title kept on ocming out and increasing readers beyond those of us attracted by the buzz but turned off by the art, story and everything else,

I respect the book as a pure success story for exploding out of the comics ghetto into nearly every medium available. And for its staying power.

I liked it too, worshipped it from afar as a kid (had a 3rd print), it's definately worthy of it's stature. ALTHOUGH... I did prefer reading Adolescent Radioactive black belt hamsters. I know it was a parody (And hey, Dringenberg went on to Sandman #1 for Chrissakes), but it was so much more enjoyable. And it inspired me to create the my own group of Kung Fu Salamanders in 1985 or 86... doh!

Boy, was I ever wrong even though I still think the artwork on the TMNT is very crude and just not my cup of tea. doh!

I like the art. Obviously some people REALLY like the art since the OA for the entire TMNT #1 (cover and all interior pages) went for $250K this year.

Of course, collect what you wish, I wasn't judging those that collect TMNT, just why the book has such value. I mean, if the TMNT were so popular in comic form, why don't they have any on going series? what EXACTLY is driving this collectible? is it the characters themselves, and the lineage of their history? (doubtful)

Is it the RARITY of the book in HG??? well, if so, then it would in MY opinion, be an artifically inflated interest, brought about by speculators/horders ect...

and this is all i'm trying to figure out...because, as rare as the book is, it was NOT popular by any mathematical standard regarding sales #'s for most comics (shrug)

Just me 2 cents.... (and I'll preface this by stating the obvious that I am a TMNT fanboy and proud of it)

You wonder why there is such the high value placed on this book and the answer is simple: a TREMENDOUS fanbase.

As you (or someone) stated earlier, most fans like myself, had NO IDEA that the TMNT originally came from comics. My initial experience was as a 7 yr old in '89 watching the original toon. And as we all know, I wasn't the only kid who was completely enamored by these fighting teen turtles; there was a whole generation of kids GLOBALLY who went gaga for these guys. It wasn't until much later (I'd say I was 16, 17) when I discovered the comics and immediately began a mission to collect them all (again, from my experience in the TMNT fandom, there are quite a few people in that same boat who discovered the book much later).

The bottom line is that even if a teeny, tiny percentage of true TMNT fans wanted to get a #1, much less in high grade, they are going to have to shell out (no pun intended). There just aren't enough out there. Coupled by the fact that there is STILL an ongoing cartoon, toys, video games on all platforms and recent Movie, (not to mention 2 ongoing books- one of which is on a bit of hiatus right now) there is a whole new generation of kids that one day may want to go back to where it started: TMNT #1. With only 3,000 printed (and who knows how many are actually still out there in one piece 2,500? 2,000? even less?) this book will IMO continue to rise in value. Tie in the fact that "investors" and casually interested people may want a copy you end up with a truly scarce, high value book, esp. in high grade.

Lastly, I saw specualtion as to why there are "so many" high grades of the book out there and where they have come from. Both Kev & Pete did keep multiple copies for themselves and have given out to friends over the years. (I would imagine they would've kept as a high grade possible). So its possible some of these did come from them (for instance, the 2 9.4 SS by Kevin were both from his personal collection).

On a personal note, I wouldn't even be here in this forum if it weren't for the TMNT. When I discovered graded books, I stumbled on this site where I have learned SOO much, about so many titles that I had never even heard of, and about comic collecting in general. In regards to the auction, I'm happy to see it so high valued but saddened by the fact that I'll probably never own such a high graded copy of the book ( I do have a 7.0 of which I am very happy with though!).

And thats my 2 cents... :)

I liked it too, worshipped it from afar as a kid (had a 3rd print), it's definately worthy of it's stature. ALTHOUGH... I did prefer reading Adolescent Radioactive black belt hamsters. I know it was a parody (And hey, Dringenberg went on to Sandman #1 for Chrissakes), but it was so much more enjoyable. And it inspired me to create the my own group of Kung Fu Salamanders in 1985 or 86... doh!

The first 5 issues of ARBBH were awesome, though they were done by Chin & Parsonavich. It wasn't the same after the new team took over...was Dringenberg the artist starting with issue #6? I seem to recall that Sam Kieth did the cover...

As for TMNT #1, I actually doubt that there are ton of TMNT fans out there who can afford to shell out this kind of cabbage for the book, but the book's rarity and perceived huge demand base has the comic investors/specs and collectors who just want to have one because of the rarity (I would include myself in the latter category; I was never a big TMNT fan and don't really even collect slabs anymore but think TMNT #1 would be cool to own) keeping the demand and prices high. (shrug)

The first 5 issues of ARBBH were awesome, though they were done by Chin & Parsonavich. It wasn't the same after the new team took over...was Dringenberg the artist starting with issue #6? I seem to recall that Sam Kieth did the cover...

As for TMNT #1, I actually doubt that there are ton of TMNT fans out there who can afford to shell out this kind of cabbage for the book, but the book's rarity and perceived huge demand base has the comic investors/specs and collectors who just want to have one because of the rarity (I would include myself in the latter category; I was never a big TMNT fan and don't really even collect slabs anymore but think TMNT #1 would be cool to own) keeping the demand and prices high. (shrug)

Gene,

awesome Ditko pages in your CAF gallery :applause: most impressive, dude :hi:

as for your ride, we can have a common discussion on that as well... :headbang: you have good, similar taste, my man.

Of course, collect what you wish, I wasn't judging those that collect TMNT, just why the book has such value. I mean, if the TMNT were so popular in comic form, why don't they have any on going series? what EXACTLY is driving this collectible? is it the characters themselves, and the lineage of their history? (doubtful)

Do you actually do any research before posting? They are still in print... This just came out.

Tales of the TMNT #39

First Printing: October, 2007

"What Wolves Wear"

By Dan Berger and Andie Tong

A movie just came out last year. They're still on TV.

I don't know what's more disturbing, the fact that you know such details about this subject, or your seeming "fanboy" love of them hm

lol

I just like to know what I'm talking about before I post on a messageboard. I understand that concept's not for everyone. (thumbs u

lol:applause: